Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2001 5:28:47 AM EDT
I work & live along the Mississippi river.  The river is cresting north of us a few hundred miles.  The crest will keep moving south. Should be here in a few days.[pissed] If it doesn't rain much next few days we should be OK.

Water is just starting to enter 4 of my warehouse buildings so moving everthing out of them today.   This crap gets old every year.[:(!]

Between, floods, gun laws, taxes, cold winters, Chicago influence and Democratic politians, is it any wonder I want to move SOUTH!

Here's what I think of floods![-!-!-]

Grin
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#1]
move to Texas
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I know how you feel Grin.  Its raining out here, and I am next to the des plaines river. Its high.
Good luck.
I agree with ya, fuck Chicago!! [-!-]
c-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Grin, sorry to hear it! Hopefully, the rain will stay away.

Move on down to KY, not that's it's much warmer during the winter. You're close enough to visit family, but far enough away, that they don't bug ya' all the time. [}:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to work with family.  At least I own the joint.  Hard to move after being in a place 163 years.  But my local government is doing their best to "encourage" a relocation.

And this $@%#$^* river ain't helping much either!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I gots some bad and bad news for ya, which do ya want to hear first....
Ok first the bad:
1. It just rained up here a couple of days ago (st paul)(mississippi/st.croix) about 3-4 inches.

now the bad news:
2. the rivers crested last week at record levels-but the rain is going to make them crest higher.

3. it is headed your way...stupid gravity, causing all this trouble....

If you want to get out of that hole (literaly)  come on up here to st.paul/western wisconsin.  mucho better than chicago.  If you do come up-hire me as your systems administrator!  I need to work for a gun nut [:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
You must be REALLY old to be ther 163 years!  Besides-its just geography-MOVE UP HERE!  Depending on the business our local gov will practically give you a spot in the local business park.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
6 generation family mfg business.  Don't need the river anymore.  We did in 1830s when we started.

Somehow we have managed to miss inheritance taxes & I pulled majority ownership back to one branch of the family.

Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey Grin&Barrett,

Sorry to hear about your river problems. I know just what you are talking about. I work for the RR and was running to La Crosse before the river shut us down running there. So I have been running to Quincy and now the river has shut us down in Hannibal and I can't hold a job running to Quincy now either. This flood shit sucks.

Good luck with fighting the river,

Cav Scout
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Quincy.  Going to get worse for a few days.  Then have to wait for next wave from the north.[:(!]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]
them darn yanks....
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#12]
We have a very gun friendly community where I live here in Texas. You certainly would be very welcome. OOOoooooppss Okay! You can bring AntiUSSA along, I kinda miss him already! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Cav Scout:
Hey Grin&Barrett,

Sorry to hear about your river problems. I know just what you are talking about. I work for the RR and was running to La Crosse before the river shut us down running there. So I have been running to Quincy and now the river has shut us down in Hannibal and I can't hold a job running to Quincy now either. This flood shit sucks.

Good luck with fighting the river,

Cav Scout
View Quote

Cav,   If you are stuck in Hannibal/Quincy area, get ahold of me.  Can get the Barrett out & go play.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Be thankfull that you HAVE water, up here in Idaho they are saying it could be the worst droubt in 100 years, My parents who are farmers where told to expect 40 days of irrigating water and that's it!!! Usually we get 150 days of water!!! BTW it's sunny and 78 degrees right now!

Stay dry
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd gladly send you some of our water if I could.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Cav, you are not by chance in the Guard now are you? I was in D Troop 1/113 Cav for a while and we had a scout detachment there in waterloo.

Aviator
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Water is about 25' into some of my buildings.  

Luckily the floors slope from east to west so it is just in the western end of the buildings
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Post some pics of:

1) Lower Buildings - outside
2) Lower Buildings - inside
3) South-Side Boat Club
4) Tugboat Docks
5) Riverfront Park

I feel like I'm missing all of the excitement since I'm stuck out here!
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel for you I went through that this weekend Lake Nabagomond 25 mi from where I live is still with out power and there sandbaging the shore so the town dosent flood. one hell of a spring this year.. the crick in my side yard is about a foot wide in sumer and this weekend it had to be 20 ft wide. there are roads washed out everywhere and on friday we got hail knocked out all of the local radio stations and all the tv stations but pbs figur that one out good luck to ya
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Ya know, sometimes I bitch and complain about east coast weather, politics, people, laws, cost of living, etc., but Damn! You guys have it rough right now! The only floods I ever see come directly from hurricanes and that ain't often. And it never affects my [b]house[/b]!

Our prayers are with you Grin, and oh yeah - keep them rifles dry when they come in!!!
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top