Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 3:07:47 PM EDT
I have a couple scopes to look at the night sky when I get the urge, this guy built his own remote observatory, way cool

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always wanted to look through one of the worlds largest scopes...  it would be awesome to see space like that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
neat
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
He did a nice job building it, not sure of the purpose.   Is it just to gain 10-12 feet of elevation?  Don't see what that buys him.  Seems to me he could have just built himself a nice deck at ground level, and wheel out the telescope when he wants to use it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Another one.

You guys think BRD is bad, you have no idea.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He did a nice job building it, not sure of the purpose.   Is it just to gain 10-12 feet of elevation?  Don't see what that buys him.  Seems to me he could have just built himself a nice deck at ground level, and wheel out the telescope when he wants to use it.

View Quote

Remote location away from city light pollution.

He didn't show the whole place, but I bet living quarters there as well for long weekend campouts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but both him and the other guy you showed appear to be using small telescopes that are easily moved. I fail to see the point of building such elaborate enclosures for them.

Real observatories are built because the telescopes they house are much too large to move around.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to look through one of the worlds largest scopes...  it would be awesome to see space like that.
View Quote

The hubble photos are online for you to look at anytime.  You paid for it, you should be using it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed, but both him and the other guy you showed appear to be using small telescopes that are easily moved. I fail to see the point of building such elaborate enclosures for them.

Real observatories are built because the telescopes they house are much too large to move around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Professional astronomers don't monitor the entire universe, guys like this still make important contributions to science.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/422303/amateur-astronomers-usher-in-new-era-of-discovery-says-report/
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know what it is, but I really love looking at Uranus.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Professional astronomers don't monitor the entire universe, guys like this still make important contributions to science.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/422303/amateur-astronomers-usher-in-new-era-of-discovery-says-report/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

I never said anything against amateur astronomers.  I'm just saying these elaborate structures aren't  necessary for small telescopes that are easily moved around.  Again, I admire their building skills, but just don't see the point of this.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

?????

I never said anything against amateur astronomers.  I'm just saying these elaborate structures aren't  necessary for small telescopes that are easily moved around.  Again, I admire their building skills, but just don't see the point of this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

The magic sauce is the mount for the scope, a tripod is not going to give the same stability at extremely deep space objects like a mount sunk 6 feet into ground.

This scope is not wiggling in the wind, or when a 18 wheeler driving by when you are doing a 1 hour photo exposure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've always wondered if the world's largest scopes still have a tiny eyepiece you have to squint and look through, and get frustrated because the eye relief is all wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a couple scopes to look at the night sky when I get the urge, this guy built his own remote observatory, way cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpUX_Oaa9M
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've always wondered if the world's largest scopes still have a tiny eyepiece you have to squint and look through, and get frustrated because the eye relief is all wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, all viewed on computer screens now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The magic sauce is the mount for the scope, a tripod is not going to give the same stability at extremely deep space objects like a mount sunk 6 feet into ground.

This scope is not wiggling in the wind, or when a 18 wheeler driving by when you are doing a 1 hour photo exposure.
View Quote

That makes sense.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool.  When I was back east I was really into it.  Now I live too close to the "city lights" to get a good view.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpUX_Oaa9M
View Quote

Cheap-ass Home Depot lumber; everything is warped.

Extremely cool setup. Would be awesome for quiet weekend get-aways.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]
That would make a fine ice fishing cabin    
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

Yep, these guys aren't just looking through an eyepiece at the sky like I do, he probably has some serious money tied up in cameras and stuff too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

There's some more benefits as well. A lot of those scopes in those vids are a lot bigger and heavier than they look. I have a 10" Meade LXD-75 that is a struggle for me to move and set up by myself, and that's even at moving the tripod/drive and optical tube separately. Then you have to level it up, do a new polar alignment every time you set it up, all after having adjusted the heavy iron counterweights to where the scope can move in perfect balance, only to have one of the dogs or a careless guest run into it just hard enough to make you have to do it all over again. Then you have the added factor of having to tough out the summer heat or winter cold while you're out there. Many nights I was just too worn out to take everything down again after I was done and just threw a 55gallon garbage bag over the scope and went to bed.

I was seriously thinking about setting up an observatory myself until expensive. Too bad too. Now it takes something pretty special to get us to even set the scope up anymore.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There's some more benefits as well. A lot of those scopes in those vids are a lot bigger and heavier than they look. I have a 10" Meade LXD-75 that is a struggle for me to move and set up by myself, and that's even at moving the tripod/drive and optical tube separately. Then you have to level it up, do a new polar alignment every time you set it up, all after having adjusted the heavy iron counterweights to where the scope can move in perfect balance, only to have one of the dogs or a careless guest run into it just hard enough to make you have to do it all over again. Then you have the added factor of having to tough out the summer heat or winter cold while you're out there. Many nights I was just too worn out to take everything down again after I was done and just threw a 55gallon garbage bag over the scope and went to bed.

I was seriously thinking about setting up an observatory myself until expensive. Too bad too. Now it takes something pretty special to get us to even set the scope up anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.

lol, this is why I stick with inexpensive scopes for an hour or two of quick viewing.

If I had a ton of money tied up in a scope I would feel obligated to use it every night, and some nights I just want to relax and watch a movie or something.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in the south they're elevated to improve access to the horizon - lots of trees around. Raising the scope 10 or 12 feet opens up a lot of sky.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

?????

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

?????

So your AR is bone stock, yes ?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I do have a solar observatory now, too bad no big sun spots to see right now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if he's not going to regret putting his scope on a framed floor 8 ft or more in the air.

I would think that vibration would be an issue in a structure like that.  I would think I would like my telescope on a concrete foundation instead.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder if he's not going to regret putting his scope on a framed floor 8 ft or more in the air.

I would think that vibration would be an issue in a structure like that.  I would think I would like my telescope on a concrete foundation instead.

View Quote

The mount is not attached to the floor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, you're right.  Should have noticed that.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top