Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/4/2015 2:57:22 PM EDT
LINK

A gun-toting Brooklyn bandit was shot, wounded and busted early Friday after a wild gunfight with cops where dozens of bullets flew — and only one found its mark, police said.

Jerrol Harris, 27, was hospitalized with a single gunshot to the calf after a running gun battle ignited when he blasted a Brooklyn man while trying to rob the victim’s SUV, police said.

A half-dozen police officers fired roughly 70 shots at Harris, who squeezed off 11 rounds from a stolen gun in return before his arrest in Bushwick.

No cops were wounded in the shootout with Harris, whose criminal past included a rap sheet dating to 2003 with arrests in Louisiana and New York.

The fleeing suspect was nabbed by cops in part because of his bright red pants, police said.
View Quote

Update: News now says 84 shots.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Yay Glock Perfection and NY safe action 12# pulls
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Did a newspaper really write that the guy "blasted" someone?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
80lb triggers and zero practice, no surprise there
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
At least no bystanders were hit
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard those guys really put on an exhibition at pistol matches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
No dogs harmed.....? I am calling BS on the story.

Where did the other 69 go?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, first thing that caught my eye, too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#9]
At least the anti-cop nut jobs will be happy that the cops finally shot a perp in the leg rather than center mass.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Might wanna call out the precinct and have them walk the route, shoulder to shoulder...with that many rounds, gotta be some downed bystanders.    
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Extorris-

was it really that bad in NYC that non of the officers trained with a handgun?
whats the deal with their lack of shooting skills?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Today's journalists are not much more than mediocre high school students.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At least the anti-cop nut jobs will be happy that the cops finally shot a perp in the leg rather than center mass.
View Quote

Ben Carson will be happy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whats the deal with their lack of shooting skills?
View Quote

Lack of training.
I was talking with one of our LEOs here from Texas and he gets more mandatory firearms training after the academy in a 3 month period than I got in 18+ years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:16:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, thats the NYPD Marksman Team of The Year you're talking about. Show some respect.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

LINK

A gun-toting Brooklyn bandit was shot, wounded and busted early Friday after a wild gunfight with cops where dozens of bullets flew — and only one found its mark, police said.

Jerrol Harris, 27, was hospitalized with a single gunshot to the calf after a running gun battle ignited when he blasted a Brooklyn man while trying to rob the victim’s SUV, police said.

A half-dozen police officers fired roughly 70 shots at Harris, who squeezed off 11 rounds from a stolen gun in return before his arrest in Bushwick.

No cops were wounded in the shootout with Harris, whose criminal past included a rap sheet dating to 2003 with arrests in Louisiana and New York.

The fleeing suspect was nabbed by cops in part because of his bright red pants, police said.
View Quote
View Quote
#outshotby11yearold

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
#outshotby11yearold  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

#outshotby11yearold  

#ohsnap
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I read that and said WTF?

Glad nobody else was hit, sounds like NYPD needs to spend a bit more time qualifying their guys though.  That article sounded more like a Vietnam firefight than a Police incident.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
Surprised the term "roscoe" wasn't used.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side kid"
H. Solo, Captain
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Glad nobody else was hit, sounds like NYPD needs to spend a bit more time qualifying their guys though.
View Quote

Qualifying is not training.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

LINK

View Quote
View Quote

If the NYPD had missed the skel it would be 100% (0 hits out of 'roughly' 81).  As it is its a 1.2% hit rate.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]
That trigger is a bitch.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lack of training.
I was talking with one of our LEOs here from Texas and he gets more mandatory firearms training after the academy in a 3 month period than I got in 18+ years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

For the largest police force in the country (correct?), that's pretty messed up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

New York daily news isn't a real newspaper, just a big napkin with some bright pictures and a few simple but dramatic words printed on it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

For the largest police force in the country (correct?), that's pretty messed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

His bosses want to pay for it, theirs don't
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#28]
That's gotta be a record.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
At least no bystanders were hit
View Quote

Shocking!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

Get their email addresses and forward them link to this thread
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lack of training.

Would I be correct in saying its probably cheaper just to settle with bystanders/their families that are shot than to actually ensure NYPD officers are proficient with their guns?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#33]
A 12# trigger pull has to be a bitch to aim decently with. Do the ESU guys get different guns with more normal trigger pulls or is everyone issued the same thing?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Would I be correct in saying its probably cheaper just to settle with bystanders/their families that are shot than to actually ensure NYPD officers are proficient with their guns?  
View Quote

I'm sure they've had someone crunch the numbers. Even if they wanted to pay for it they don't have the facilities to handle the amount of people that would be scheduled for training. They barely have room now between requals, special unit's training, and academy recruit training.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Are we sure it wasn't a ricochet?  Did he actually get directly hit?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do the ESU guys get different guns with more normal trigger pulls or is everyone issued the same thing?
View Quote

No idea, maybe one of them will chime in and answer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glad nobody else was hit, sounds like NYPD needs to spend a bit more time qualifying their guys though.

You get most of your firearms training in the academy, correct?  I know the difference between training and qualifying, but I have a question:

In your years there, how often did you have to qualify?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]
There should be a law against this sort of behavior
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Oh well.
View Quote

Your funny and original....I like you.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I wonder if they accounted for where all the rounds went, probably not..

'Two plainclothes cops and two officers from the 83rd Precinct were treated for tinnitus, ringing of the ears, at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, officials said.

Two cops from the 81st Precinct were treated for tinnitus at Kings County Hospital.'     There is no treatment for tinnitus, just compensation...

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Only Imperial Stormtroopers could be so precise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
As I said in another thread, it would be both financially and logistically impossible to train the NYPD to the level of proficiency that any knowledgeable person would accept as "reasonable".

It simply can't be done.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:34:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Only Imperial Stormtroopers could be so precise.
View Quote

Let me guess, the perp was wearing a red shirt?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#46]
They should have done in 7, so says Andy.  Because, no one needs that amount.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You get most of your firearms training in the academy, correct?  I know the difference between training and qualifying, but I have a question:
In your years there, how often did you have to qualify?
View Quote

I got all of my "training" in the academy. Requal was 50 rounds twice a year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of training.

What is there? 34,000 cops in NYC? A thousand rounds a year per for training would be 34 million rounds in the budget. I totally understand why even though it's a shame. Not only that, if they ordered 34 million rounds, the tin foil hat brigade would flip.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wonder if they accounted for where all the rounds went, probably not..

'Two plainclothes cops and two officers from the 83rd Precinct were treated for tinnitus, ringing of the ears, at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, officials said.
Two cops from the 81st Precinct were treated for tinnitus at Kings County Hospital.'     There is no treatment for tinnitus, just compensation...
View Quote

LOD, tax free.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Over the years I went shooting with about a half dozen nypd officers. Most were bad or terrible shots the best one was just alright definitely not good.

It doesn't surprise me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top