Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 1:43:36 PM EDT
...on the moon as they were left by Apollo crews?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless an asteroid hit near one or they blew it over when the LEM took off there is nothing to cause them to fall over.  Probably bleached the fuck out by the sun but I bet still standing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless an asteroid hit near one or they blew it over when the LEM took off there is nothing to cause them to fall over.  Probably bleached the fuck out by the sun but I bet still standing.
View Quote

Great, so now it looks like France got there
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
They are probably unrecognizable as U.S. flags any more.  The extreme UV radiation and thermal cycles have certainly taken their toll.  These weren't flags made from space age materials.  If memory serves the Apollo 11 flag was purchased at a local Sears.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Either DU or Occupy took them down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
FPNI. This is exactly what happened.  And all of them are probably standing.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Those flags are fine...on some secret Hollywood set somewhere.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
How come we can't see them through a telescope?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How come we can't see them through a telescope?
View Quote
You can with the lunar reconnaissance orbiter:

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Most U.S. Flags Still Standing On Moon

Looks like the Apollo 11 flag was knocked down when the LM lifted off from the surface.  I think Buzz Aldrin reported at the time he saw it go down.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

None. They were just regular nylon flags. They didn't think things through or they would have made them of metal or something. But nylon being bombarded by unfiltered UV light from the sun for the last 40 years? They have more or less disintegrated at this point.

ETA - huh - looks like some think they might still be there. I dunno - maybe. They would be bleached at the least. the POLES would still be there, but I don't know if that is enough to make the shadows seen by the LRO.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This guy seems to know his stuff about the flags on the moon...

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2012/07/28/can-you-see-the-american-flag-on-the-moon-yes/

"The Apollo 11 flag was blown over by engine exhaust. Aldrin saw it fall. Of the five remaining flags, only Apollo 12, 16 and 17 are still there as revealed by their shadows in LRO images taken in August 2011. They’re no doubt bleached and colorless because of UV radiation as well as extremely brittle because of the extreme heat and cold. There are no signs left of the Apollo 14 and 15 flags. They probably fell apart in the heat and extreme environment. It’s unlikely the three remaining will last for much longer."
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This guy seems to know his stuff about the flags on the moon...

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2012/07/28/can-you-see-the-american-flag-on-the-moon-yes/

"The Apollo 11 flag was blown over by engine exhaust. Aldrin saw it fall. Of the five remaining flags, only Apollo 12, 16 and 17 are still there as revealed by their shadows in LRO images taken in August 2011. They’re no doubt bleached and colorless because of UV radiation as well as extremely brittle because of the extreme heat and cold. There are no signs left of the Apollo 14 and 15 flags. They probably fell apart in the heat and extreme environment. It’s unlikely the three remaining will last for much longer."
View Quote

Interdasting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what you did there!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those flags are fine...on some secret Hollywood set somewhere.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The other day I read something that said all are except one that was blown over when the LEM took off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like the Apollo 11 flag was knocked down when the LM lifted off from the surface.  I think Buzz Aldrin reported at the time he saw it go down.

View Quote

They learned to set the flag up further out from the LM after that?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They are probably unrecognizable as U.S. flags any more.  The extreme UV radiation and thermal cycles have certainly taken their toll. These weren't flags made from space age materials. If memory serves the Apollo 11 flag was purchased at a local Sears.

View Quote

By definition, yeah they were.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are probably unrecognizable as U.S. flags any more.  The extreme UV radiation and thermal cycles have certainly taken their toll. These weren't flags made from space age materials. If memory serves the Apollo 11 flag was purchased at a local Sears.

Lol, nailed it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Hmmm.  "Head" crater.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep

Five are still in place. The pole was changed after the first mission to make it stay put.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top