Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 12:44:29 PM EDT
I'm at my girlfriends place and noticed a bat hanging from the 33rd floor window. There is no cover for it or anything, thought it was weird. Is this normal? The height and no coverage don't seem normal to me.

Some shitty phone pictures for you, wish I could have gotten better angles for ya.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Building possum.

Perfectly normal for them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Building possum.

Perfectly normal for them.
View Quote

cool cool
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Bats drink Redbull.  

It gives them wings.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Fed drones.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't they prefer more shade than that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#7]
When the iron mines closed around here the bats were looking for new places to live and they would hang in the alcoves of all the downtown store fronts.  1000s of them.  People would smash them with brooms and sweep them into the gutters for the street sweeper to pick up.

Now we hardly have any bats around anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. He's going to cook right there lol
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC, if you put out bat boxes, they have to be at least 20' off the ground.  Bats don't roost low.

Was that pic taken early morning?  I'm sure he headed for shade before too long.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bats needs heat.

Most bat houses are black on on poles in direct sunlight... it gets shit hot.  Bat house should be between 80-100 inside.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC, if you put out bat boxes, they have to be at least 20' off the ground.  Bats don't roost low.

Was that pic taken early morning?  I'm sure he headed for shade before too long.
View Quote

The pictures were taken pretty much right before the thread was made. Probably 11:30am.
Today seems to be a partly cloudy day, so we'll see how hot it gets. Yesterday was in the 90s
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It's very unusual in every respect that he just decided to latch onto the screen 33 floors up.

Can't tell from the pics, but any white powdery looking substance around it's nose and mouth, maybe on the wings?

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's very unusual in every respect that he just decided to latch onto the screen 33 floors up.

Can't tell from the pics, but any white powdery looking substance around it's nose and mouth, maybe on the wings?

View Quote

none that I can see
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a Bat,

It has wings,

It's not afraid of heights,

no problem.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats amazing.  I have never seen a bat climb a single step much less 33 flights of stairs.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top