Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 5:30:33 PM EDT
or smarter folks than I here......

Having a little silly conversation on a slow day with a few fellers. We got on the subject of things burning in a regular air atmosphere. It kind of struck me that maybe the materials that produce the most soot have the higher energy densities?

Am I on the right track here?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Soot  is from inefficient combustion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

True. But things like rubbing alcohol produce little to no soot in an open air atmosphere, whereas acetylene produces gobs.. I'm thinking its something to do with hydrocarbons and its probably something a 7th grade student could answer for me because I didn't pay enough attention in science class

Maybe Keith J will come along and fix me!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

True. But things like rubbing alcohol produce little to no soot in an open air atmosphere, whereas acetylene produces gobs.. I'm thinking its something to do with hydrocarbons and its probably something a 7th grade student could answer for me because I didn't pay enough attention in science class

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI..

Acetylene produces soot due to too much fuel and not enough oxygen.  When you increase the oxy input to the combustion process, it produces less and less.  When it reaches the stoichiometric mixture it is the most efficient.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Stoichiometric mixture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The higher the molecular weight  a hydrocarbon the more soot it will produce.  Soot comes from the chemistry in the fire turning hydrocarbons into high molecular weight polyaromatics.  The larger the building blocks the smaller the flame height and needed to produce soot because fewer steps are needed to produce it.

<---- Chemist who burns shit for a living.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
FPNI..

Acetylene produces soot due to too much fuel and not enough oxygen.  When you increase the oxy input to the combustion process, it produces less and less.  When it reaches the stoichiometric mixture it is the most efficient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FPNI..

This is also true.  You need an oxygen poor environment to produce soot.  This is an isopropyl alcohol fire:

Even though the fire is poor in atmospheric oxygen and the flames are 15ft high almost no soot is produced because the molecule has a low molecular weight and a relatively high oxygen to carbon ratio.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, acetylene is an oddball.  It produces soot well even though it has a very low molecular weight.  It has a high energy density because it is triple bonded.  The polyaromatic hydrocarbons needed for soot are rings with a mix of conjugated double and single bonds (technically not true but for this it's good enough.)  Because of this it makes acetylene very efficient as a building block for the rings.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the insightful replies. I always knew soot was produced on account of poor fuel/oxygen ratio. I was just wandering about the densities. That was a really intersting reply about the acetylene.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Just out of curiosity, are there any other energy dense but molecularly light fuels out there like acetylene?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Gases have low energy density, but generally burn faster. Sometimes its better to burn a less dense fuel faster than a high density fuel that burns slower. Think candle vs 87 octane vs methane.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is also true.  You need an oxygen poor environment to produce soot.  This is an isopropyl alcohol fire:  

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd498/libalj/2015-09-02%2011.09.47_zpsovxj451s.jpg

Even though the fire is poor in atmospheric oxygen and the flames are 15ft high almost no soot is produced because the molecule has a low molecular weight and a relatively high oxygen to carbon ratio.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI..

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd498/libalj/2015-09-02%2011.09.47_zpsovxj451s.jpg

because isopropyl alcohol brings some of it's own Oxygen to the party...  

At first glance I would have thought you worked at the ATF Lab in Maryland but I see you list your location as WI....
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At first glance I would have thought you worked at the ATF Lab in Maryland but I see you list your location as WI....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI..

Didn't know that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, are there any other energy dense but molecularly light fuels out there like acetylene?
View Quote

Hydrogen + oxygen
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

I didn't think hydrogen was that energy dense. I always thought the reason it made an attractive rocket propellent was because of of the ability to be stored in a liquid state. IOW, cram a lot of it in a little space. On the other hand, some rocket designs, including the first stage of the Saturn V used kerosene and LOX. Kerosene has a relatively high energy density.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't think hydrogen was that energy dense. I always thought the reason it made an attractive rocket propellent was because of of the ability to be stored in a liquid state. IOW, cram a lot of it in a little space. On the other hand, some rocket designs, including the first stage of the Saturn V used kerosene and LOX. Kerosene has a relatively high energy density.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

What do you mean by density? Hydrogen is much higher on a  per/lb basis.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, unlike the ATF my job involves preventing people and property from burning, not causing it.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

By volume.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope, unlike the ATF my job involves preventing people and property from burning, not causing it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

I will add that a lot of properties of chemicals that make them high energy density (BTU/lb for the common folk) also make them produce soot.  These are not directly correlated so there are explosive exceptions like hydrogen which will ruin your day but produce no soot.  For soot it's all about the polyaromatic hydrocarbons.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will add that a lot of properties of chemicals that make them high energy density (BTU/lb for the common folk) also make them produce soot.  These are not directly correlated so there are explosive exceptions like hydrogen which will ruin your day but produce no soot.  For soot it's all about the polyaromatic hydrocarbons.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

but rolling poly aromatic hydrocarbons doesn't sound as cool as rolling coal
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

It doesn't get you much pussy either.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Neither does being married
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]
This whole goofy half-lit train of thought got going today when we were bonding some grounds. We needed to bond some ground wire to ground rods. We use this crap they call cadweld. Basically, they give you a little crucible with a rubber bung in the bottom that you slip over your ground rod and then it has holes in the side to insert your wires. One its set up, you put in some thermite and light it off. It bonds all the metal together damn near instantly. Then the rubber bung on the bottom catches fire and burns.

At any rate, the soot is really intense for the little piece of rubber burning. Funny how something silly like this will get goofy speculations and theories going
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[quot]Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen[/qute]

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This whole goofy half-lit train of thought got going today when we were bonding some grounds. We needed to bond some ground wire to ground rods. We use this crap they call cadweld. Basically, they give you a little crucible with a rubber bung in the bottom that you slip over your ground rod and then it has holes in the side to insert your wires. One its set up, you put in some thermite and light it off. It bonds all the metal together damn near instantly. Then the rubber bung on the bottom catches fire and burns.

At any rate, the soot is really intense for the little piece of rubber burning. Funny how something silly like this will get goofy speculations and theories going
View Quote

I take it you've never burned tires.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhh!

Not for years!
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hydrogen + oxygen

BTW, thank you! That was really kind of the answer I was searching for
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top