Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 3:59:12 PM EDT
Checked my online bank balance yesterday, saw a charge for $9.73 from netflix, I don't have a netflix account.

Called netflix, some assclown used my debit card # to open an account, in spanish, no hablo espanol here.

Netflix was cool about refunding the charge, and making it right.

I use my debit card for everything, decided to stop that.

Got an AmEx Bluebird card at Walmart, and will use that for all purchases, and move money to it as needed.

My bank account had tons of transactions because I use the debit card for everything, little fraud charges like this can easily get buried in the volume of transactions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry buddy. I needed to watch Friends re runs somehow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a good lesson to learn. .. never use a debit card.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Checked my online bank balance yesterday, saw a charge for $9.73 from netflix, I don't have a netflix account.

Called netflix, some assclown used my debit card # to open an account, in spanish, no halo espanol here.

Got an AmEx Bluebird card at Walmart, and will use that for all purchases, and move money to it as needed.

My bank account had tons of transactions because I use the debit card for everything, little fraud charges like this can easily get buried in the volume of transactions.
View Quote

That sucks, but at least you learned the lesson that debt cards are bad news. Now get a real credit card that can actually protect you!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
All Debit cards are, by the nature of  cardholder contract,  'Compromised'
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Called netflix, some assclown used my debit card # to open an account, in spanish, no halo espanol here.

View Quote

Sorry to hear about that...

But, you're in Florida and you don't know Spanish ?  

Kidding.... a Florida native, and i barely know Spanglish.  

In all seriousness, it is only a matter of time.  So, as you have, we all need to take the necessary precautions to protect our accounts, but again, it is only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That sucks, but at least you learned the lesson that debt cards are bad news. Now get a real credit card that can actually protect you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have many good credit cards too, sticking with the Bluebird card for now when eating out, online purchases, etc.

I suspect some tard waiter at a restaurant copied the card number for personal use.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have many good credit cards too, sticking with the Bluebird card for now when eating out, online purchases, etc.

I suspect some tard waiter at a restaurant copied the card number for personal use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with the blue card, is that an actual CC account or just a reloadable deal?

Unless you can trust yourself with a spending limit I would really recommend getting a legit account with visa or MasterCard,  its nice, they are quick about catching bullshit and your actual money isn't at risk.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with the blue card, is that an actual CC account or just a reloadable deal?

Unless you can trust yourself with a spending limit I would really recommend getting a legit account with visa or MasterCard,  its nice, they are quick about catching bullshit and your actual money isn't at risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bluebird is a American Express card, with the limit being what you have loaded on the card.

I can load online from my bank account what ever I want, sticking with $500 for now.

If I need real purchasing power, I have 4 other real CCs with high limits on them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not take advantage of a rewards card?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or just open another account for it's use and transfer money into it as needed for purchases.

It's not rocket surgery.

That's one thing I urged every client to do when I was a Banker. Keep your money in an account
without a card, transfer into card account as needed

Quoted:

So credit cards are immune to being compromised?

Bank debit cards have the same protections as credit cards. Obviously if there were fraudulent charges on OP's it was used as a visa
or mastercard
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to use a debit card for everything, until my entire checking account got wiped out... right before Christmas... right after I bought my first house and had all my fist payment (mortgage, utility bills, etc).  I haven't had a debit card since.  I use a credit card for all purchases and pay it off every month.  Much safer.  The CC companies are also pretty good at spotting fraudulent purchases and stopping them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Bluebird has low fees too, which is why I picked it.

I will make $2000 purchases on a rewards card.

$2.50 at the cafeteria at work, or $25 at the mexican restaurant around the corner I will use Bluebird
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Debit cards are for ATM withdrawals and deposits only.

Only.  

Period.

Get a CC
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Why a debit card?  There is no advantage over a credit card.  I've had my CC number hacked, fraud department caught it, never cost me a penny.  CC, I don't pay for a month, extended warranty, 2% cash back.  Debit card gives you nothing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:I use my debit card for everything, decided to stop that.

View Quote

Good choice.  

I have two CCs.  One for reoccurring payments and one for everything else.  My debit card pretty much never gets used...only bank ATMs.  Definitely not any place that someone else physically handles it, such as restaurants.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Someone probably bought your card info on the black market used it to scam a NetFlix affiliate program out of some cash (more than $10).

You did cancel the card and get a new one right?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bluebird has low fees too, which is why I picked it.

I will make $2000 purchases on a rewards card.

$2.50 at the cafeteria at work, or $25 at the mexican restaurant around the corner I will use Bluebird
View Quote

You are missing out. These numbers add up. Also, some will double rewards for certain businesses.

I have Bluebird. Ever since they stopped the ability to float cash onto it, I only use it for Wal-mart's receipt rollback.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:So credit cards are immune to being compromised?

Bank debit cards have the same protections as credit cards. Obviously if there were fraudulent charges on OP's it was used as a visa
or mastercard
View Quote

No.  But if they get compromised, your money isn't tied up while it is being corrected.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a call from USAA fraud department the other day for somebody trying to Purchase stuff in Mexico. I hardly ever use my debit card, now it will be never.

USAA caught the fraud before it was allowed to be charged to my account. Had a new card within 2 days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The CC companies are also pretty good at spotting fraudulent purchases and stopping them.
View Quote

One of my debit cards was (probably) skimmed at a gas station near Miami a few weeks ago.  It was used for several charges on Monday, and I was notified via text by the bank within minutes. Called the bank, the card was cancelled immediately and charges were refunded by the next day. Not all banks suck at this stuff.

The charges were at a Taco Bell (twice) and VatoZone in the Miami area.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wife and I got hit last for about $900.  Dumbass was buying things online using our debit card.  Hard lesson to learn.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No.  But if they get compromised, your money isn't tied up while it is being corrected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

or mastercard

This......
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#23]
get a cc and play with someone else's money.
better yet, get the amazon card to support your amazon habit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

or mastercard

The 2 times my debit card number has been stolen I have had the money refunded the same day. My bank is USAA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Funny there was a thread last week where someone said if you don't use a debit card for everything you are an idiot living in the 90s. I prefer not to use a debit card but a credit card.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I just checked my accounts just because of this thread.
All fine at this time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My debit card is BoA, they send me fraud alerts too if I make a big purchase sometimes.

A $9.73 charge, nope.

I give netflix credit, they refunded the money with no hassles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I use my credit card for basically every purchase in life at this point, for better or worse. I may still be on the hook potentially if my account is compromised, but atleast it doesn't clean out my checking account. In the past five years I have maybe used my debit card two to three times.

Sorry about the assholes getting into your account holmes, that sucks.

ETA: Yearly I spend 60 to 80k through two cards.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#29]
After having my debit card compromised a couple of times, I only use credit. It's much nicer when someone else is out money while the disputed transaction is settled. Cash back rewards don't hurt either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Someone probably bought your card info on the black market used it to scam a NetFlix affiliate program out of some cash (more than $10).

You did cancel the card and get a new one right?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The 2 times my debit card number has been stolen I have had the money refunded the same day. My bank is USAA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or mastercard

USAA is fast...but you still had to be refunded.  With a CC, they just remove the charge.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I use my credit card for basically every purchase in life at this point, for better or worse. I may still be on the hook potentially if my account is compromised, but atleast it doesn't clean out my checking account. In the past five years I have maybe used my debit card two to three times.

View Quote

Yep, I hate thieves.

Wife and I ate at a Mexican restaurant recently, neflex account opened in spanish with same card # I used to pay for dinner not long after that, hmmm....
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yep, I hate thieves.

Wife and I ate at a Mexican restaurant recently, neflex account opened in spanish with same card # I used to pay for dinner, hmmm....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I hate thieves.

Wife and I ate at a Mexican restaurant recently, neflex account opened in spanish with same card # I used to pay for dinner, hmmm....

Someone I know recently had theirs compromised and two tickets bought to Europe out of either LGA or JFK. The bank actually tried to fuck with them about the cost saying how did they know they didn't book those tickets. I would have probably had to go sit in the corner while my wife handled that situation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or mastercard

This......

And when my CC has been compromised, my CC company made me aware within hours, and took care of everything, I just had to use a different card for the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your cards can be compromised simply because they exist.  It has nothing to do with them being used.  Thieves sit around all day running numbers until they find one that works.  They only have to work the last 8 numbers, since the first 8 are usually tied to the brand.

Bolded for the unwashed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Or just open another account for it's use and transfer money into it as needed for purchases.

It's not rocket surgery.

That's one thing I urged every client to do when I was a Banker. Keep your money in an account

or mastercard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not rocket surgery.

Quoted:

or mastercard

Here is the only difference:  If you have auto pay set up on your account, or if you have checks in the mail, and someone hacks your debit, your bills don't get paid and you have to deal with it.  FSLIC or FDIC has 14 days to reimburse you after you fill out an affidavit.  Some institutions lessen that period, but that is reality.  If you use and have only a CC, the money missing is not yours.  Your bills still get paid, cash stays in your account.  

Again, your actual use of the debit card rarely has anything to do with the fraud.  Merely possessing one opens you up for fraud.  It is up to you to research how your bank handles it.  I can for a fact say that when I had Compass bank, they were a bunch of useless fucking cunts.  My card had 10 fraudulent transactions occur, and half after I told them about it.  

You can refuse to have a debit card issued.  I don't know if you can access an ATM with a CC.  Mine will only do a cash advance with CC, I need debit for ATM.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Your cards can be compromised simply because they exist.  It has nothing to do with them being used.  Thieves sit around all day running numbers until they find one that works.  They only have to work the last 8, since the first 8 are usually tied to the brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your cards can be compromised simply because they exist.  It has nothing to do with them being used.  Thieves sit around all day running numbers until they find one that works.  They only have to work the last 8, since the first 8 are usually tied to the brand.

Cool, but do all that work for a $9.73 netflix account? lol

This was a tard waiter I will bet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
<snip>

Cool, but do all that work for a $9.73 netflix account? lol

This was a tard waiter I will bet.
View Quote

Don't be daft.  A couple somalis or iraqis or canadians FSA sitting around at a coffee shop making $10 for each transaction times 10 or a hundred can buy some bullets or AK-47s.  Other countries, even ours, will not enforce any fraud law on this.  Security, or a lack if it, is a problem of the financial institution in their eyes.  They give no fucks.  

Last few hacks on mine were in different states or in different countries.  Unless they get serious about real security, this will just get worse.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been checking my BoA account several times a day, will keep doing so, no more weird charges yet.

Jokes on them, I only keep a few hundred in that account too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top