Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 3:52:46 PM EDT
Bought a nesco dehydrator because of a beef jerky thread here on ARFCOM. Tried different recipes posted. What I found was the nesco "original seasoning" was hard to beat, bought a bunch of it. I add some cayenne, worchestshire sauce, molasses, red pepper and black cracked pepper to add to the flavor profile and heat it up a little.

Eat a half a dozen pieces and feel like shit. Happens everytime. It's addictive but you need to eat just a small amount at any one time.

I'm assuming its the jerky cure that makes you feel blah? Anyone else run into this?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I once ate too many Slim Jims and Oreos.  Yakked.  It was gross.  

I haven't eaten a Slim Jim since then... it's been 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the ingredients of the seasoning?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah.  Wound up shitting all over the side of a mountain.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell no, my system thanks me when I feed it beef and salt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh yeah.  Wound up shitting all over the side of a mountain.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Looked like a volcano afterward?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather always warned us not to eat too much jerky otherwise "you'll be shitting all over like a goose"
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I usually quit when my jaw aches.

Never had a stomach issue no matter how much I eat.
View Quote
It's not really a stomach issue, its like a chemical poison issue for me. Makes me feel a malaise of sorts.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I eat it until my teeth and jaw hurts.

But I still feel fine
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I usually quit when my jaw aches.

Never had a stomach issue no matter how much I eat.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What are the ingredients of the seasoning?
View Quote
I'm not sure, I'm certain it's proprietary, it's Nesco brand. I know for sure nitrates (cure) isn't good for you though, I'm assuming its the culprit.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#13]
There is such a thing as "drunk on meat"

Eat enough ribs in one night, with too little water, you'll wake up in the morning feeling exactly like a hangover.  You might even be in a bathtub of ice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#14]
not quite beef jerky, but when i was ~12 i did get myself all stopped up after eating an entire rope of that beef stick in a rope loop stuff, kinda like the slim jims, only in a two foot coil? yeah, ate a whole roll of that, and a can of easy cheese.
didn't 'get moving' again for a few days
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I make my own, but I can't eat enough of it at one time to get sick. It's hard on my old teeth.    I don't use any commercial cure on mine though.
View Quote
I do the lean hamburger, mix the ingredients and shoot it from a jerky gun into strips. It's easier for us old folks to eat. ;)

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is such a thing as "drunk on meat"

Eat enough ribs in one night, with too little water, you'll wake up in the morning feeling exactly like a hangover.  You might even be in a bathtub of ice.
View Quote

I've never made it that far.

I have to stop when I get the meat sweats.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe it's the cure or the meat you are buying

What do you mean exactly that you feel like shit? Stomach? Butt? Lazy? Sleepy?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
MSG?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I make mine out of extra lean ground beef and use the recipe in the link.

I use Kikkoman dark soy sauce instead of what is listed.

http://commonsensehome.com/all-american-marinated-beef-jerky-ground-beef-version/
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Maybe it's the cure or the meat you are buying

What do you mean exactly that you feel like shit? Stomach? Butt? Lazy? Sleepy?

View Quote
It's not my stomach per say its just a blah feeling. Like I'm being cured with the jerky or sometin..

Hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

MSG?
View Quote
Maybe that's it. You think the cure has that in it or is a derivative of it?

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I do the lean hamburger, mix the ingredients and shoot it from a jerky gun into strips. It's easier for us old folks to eat. ;)  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I make my own, but I can't eat enough of it at one time to get sick. It's hard on my old teeth.    I don't use any commercial cure on mine though.

Thats what I do and use the same cure/spice as you, and have none of the sick feeling symptoms that you describe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://commonsensehome.com/all-american-marinated-beef-jerky-ground-beef-version/
View Quote

Find a local Asian grocery store, or order online. Get Maggi brand 'seasoning sauce' (it is soy sauce)

Give it a shot, Maggi has way more flavor than Kikkoman.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Cayenne and worchestershire is pretty much a "cleansing" formula.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I once ate too many Slim Jims and Oreos.  Yakked.  It was gross.  

I haven't eaten a Slim Jim since then... it's been 20 years.
View Quote

Those same ones you saw, are still on the same shelf, awaiting a unsuspecting victim.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Never an issue myself, but for about a year, it was my daily breakfast before going out for a Repo.

Saw a "Oberti" style jerky dispenser in a random gas station yesterday, i was instantly brought back to my repossession days.  

Ah.... good times!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSG?

From amazon review:

33 of 34 people found the following review helpful
packet contents namely msg
By Kate on November 29, 2012
Flavor Name: Variety Pack
Nesco wrote me back very promptly when I asked about packet contents: Thank you Nesco for that prompt information.

"All of our spice packets contain MSG.
We do not have an allergen disclaimer on our packages. If you have allergies to milk, eggs, nuts, gluten, ECT. We suggest you do not use our product. Below is an ingredient listing to help you make a better informed decision:
Original
Dextrose, Sugar, Salt, Spices, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, MSG, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Garlic, Less than 2% Caramel Color, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Silicate.
Cure
Salt, Sodium Nitrate (0.62%) Nitrate is used in curing meats. Follow instructions & keep out of reach of children.

Thank you for your inquiry,
Nesco Customer Service
1-800-288-4545

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJ-18-Jerky-Original-Flavor/dp/B000UCM0P6/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1441310939&sr=8-1&keywords=Nesco+Jerky+Spices
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MSG?

From amazon review:

33 of 34 people found the following review helpful

packet contents namely msg

By Kate on November 29, 2012

Flavor Name: Variety Pack

Nesco wrote me back very promptly when I asked about packet contents: Thank you Nesco for that prompt information.

"All of our spice packets contain MSG.

We do not have an allergen disclaimer on our packages. If you have allergies to milk, eggs, nuts, gluten, ECT. We suggest you do not use our product. Below is an ingredient listing to help you make a better informed decision:

Original

Dextrose, Sugar, Salt, Spices, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, MSG, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Dehydrated Onion, Dehydrated Garlic, Less than 2% Caramel Color, Silicon Dioxide, Calcium Silicate.

Cure

Salt, Sodium Nitrate (0.62%) Nitrate is used in curing meats. Follow instructions & keep out of reach of children.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Nesco Customer Service

1-800-288-4545

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJ-18-Jerky-Original-Flavor/dp/B000UCM0P6/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1441310939&sr=8-1&keywords=Nesco+Jerky+Spices
Maybe my body doesn't work well with the MSG. Now I have a headache at the back of my head :(

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Ate a couple cans of slim jims in Iraq in 2003.

Haven't had one since.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Find a local Asian grocery store, or order online. Get Maggi brand 'seasoning sauce' (it is soy sauce)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try that, we have an Asian market very close to home.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#32]
The storebought stuff is WAY too expensive for me to eat myself sick (I could easily clear $75 if I was hungry enough ), and I don't use prepackaged anything when I make it at home.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't tried making my own beef jerky, but I'm inclined to perhaps try making venison jerky one of these days. Speaking of beef jerky, OH MY GOD when did the price of beef jerky skyrocket? I haven't bought beef jerky in ages and was on a trip and thought I'd buy a bag to snack on. The bigger bag (big enough you could fir your whole hand in it) was like $12! They had a smaller bag (maybe half the size of the larger bag) and it was like $5! Last time I bought beef jerky the big bag was maybe $3.50!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have eaten until my teeth hurt and felt loose if that counts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I made about 4 pounds of it (dried product) Sunday and it was gone by yesterday. I feel fine, maby a little gassy .

If you are having gastro problems cut out the pre packaged additives and just use pepper, soy, worstechire, ect. Careful on the soy, a little adds a ton of salt especially if you are marinating overnight.

I'd fucking kill to have a hunting buddy, I'd make jerkey and sausage sticks like nobody's business.

Does everyone here dry at 160+ or do any of you dry at lower temps? I stopped using cure for stuff I eat in a couple days but I know nothing about lower temperature feasibility.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I made about 4 pounds of it (dried product) Sunday and it was gone by yesterday. I feel fine, maby a little gassy .

If you are having gastro problems cut out the pre packaged additives and just use pepper, soy, worstechire, ect. Careful on the soy, a little adds a ton of salt especially if you are marinating overnight.
I'd fucking kill to have a hunting buddy, I'd make jerkey and sausage sticks like nobody's business.
Does everyone here dry at 160+ or do any of you dry at lower temps? I stopped using cure for stuff I eat in a couple days but I know nothing about lower temperature feasibility.

View Quote

I dry at 150 never had any issues

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I need to make some more jerky.  Only issue I can see is if you eat too much you might not be able to drop the kids off at the pool for the rest of the week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm going with MSG. That shit makes me feel awful.

ETA: Do some research on that shit. It's HORRIBLE for anyone. It causes all sorts of problems, and is built up over time in your body.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top