Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:41:59 PM EDT
OK, I'm missing it, what is the scam from the info below:

I responded to a Craigslist vehicle for sale ad. I get the following email reply:

Right now I'm in a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested just email with your legal name (your right full name 'cause it will appear on the papers), full postal address where you want the truck delivered and your cell phone # where you can be reached so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you !

The seller is an agent that is going to deliver the vehicle for a 5 day inspection?
What harm can happen from sending my name, address, and phone number?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#1]
no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a tarp
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, if it smells like a scam, it is. The fact that you are questioning it means you are tempted, don't.  I get that shit all the time from CL.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I responded to a Craigslist vehicle for sale ad. I get the following email reply:

Right now I'm in a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country. The delivery process will be managed by me. I think I can have it there at your home address within 3 working days. It will come with a clear title and reg. I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money. I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested just email with your legal name (your right full name 'cause it will appear on the papers), full postal address where you want the truck delivered and your cell phone # where you can be reached so we can get the ball rolling.

Thank you !

The seller is an agent that is going to deliver the vehicle for a 5 day inspection?
View Quote

Is this a parody thread from the one earlier?

Seriously Craigslist = FTF meeting Cash in hand and even then check the bills.  . . . . No Paypal, no Ebay, no Money Order, No Ugandan funds via carrier pigeon, NO NATTA NOTHING brah.

I swear I'm in the wrong industry if there are really so many naive people out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
...Get the ball rolling.Next they want you to send the money & they will send the car ..Yep
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.  As others have posted:  CASH IN HAND OR GTFO.  Buying or selling...

It's just a clever ploy to tug at your heartstrings.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Craigslist, cash, personally pick it up, or walk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Some way some how you will get scammed. They just have not told you how yet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Trying to get your name and phone number.....

And email.

They compile lists and sell for marketing and telemarketers.

They can collect thousands of cell phone numbers a day using craigslist ads all over the country. Copy and paste email responses to get your info quickly.

Or.....

It's a full blown financial scam and it will end with them asking for some kind of fee or your credit card number.

Either way ignore or fuck with them and post funny emails in this thread for our enjoyment.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
if you read closely it say they are not getting money for 5 days.  it does not say that you do not have to pay any money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
They are settin you up to use a fake escrow service.  No vehicle will be delivered.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are settin you up to use a fake escrow service.  No vehicle will be delivered.
View Quote

Yep. Will look like eBay affiliated but all spoofed sites

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Good enough, I was trying to figure it out. If the vehicle actually showed up, without me sending any money or signing anything, I couldn't see were I'd get screwed.
The only way I would send any money was if I actually got what I wanted. I'm thinking the vehicle would have to be stolen with a fictitious title, or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Ha.........I had a guy tell me the same shit about a year ago on a FJ40  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Seriously Craigslist = FTF meeting Cash in hand and even then check the bills.  . . . . No Paypal, no Ebay, no Money Order, No Ugandan funds via carrier pigeon, NO NATTA NOTHING brah.

I swear I'm in the wrong industry if there are really so many naive people out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you !

Lol, yea, this. Wife's friend's husband is a left wing asshole, he sold an Iphone on CL for $500 awhile back. 10 $50 bills, all the same serial number. I enjoyed hearing about that. He came from a small town, moved just outside of Detroit, welcome to the real liberal world.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Good enough, I was trying to figure it out. If the vehicle actually showed up, without me sending any money or signing anything, I couldn't see were I'd get screwed.

The only way I would send any money was if I actually got what I wanted. I'm thinking the vehicle would have to be stolen with a fictitious title, or something along those lines.
View Quote

There is no vehicle.

Who in their right mind is going to ship a vehicle around the country for buyers to test for 5 days?

Before the nonexistent vehicle is pretend-shipped they will try to get personal and/or banking info out of you to steal from you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top