Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2015 6:33:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Dunham's Sports to open first Oklahoma store in Shawnee Mall

Dunham's Sports, a Michigan-based company, plans to open a store at Shawnee Mall, according to a building permit filed a week ago with the city, said Jared Cooper, chief building official for the city. "Their goal is to be open in time for Black Friday, depending on how things go with renovation,” he said.

http://www.news-star.com/article/20150730/NEWS/150729738

They don't have any stores in this part of the country, so I don't know anything about them beyond that they sell guns, hunting and fishing stuff, plus other sporting goods, what can you tell me?

View Quote

That's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
No handguns unless recently changed, not much long gun selection, overpriced ammo, over priced safes. I buy golf balls there occasionally but that is about all.
Good luck finding staff around depending on the time of day.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They have handguns. Lots, actually. The prices are msrp or higher. Their optics are all low end Chinese stuff... centerpoint, bsa, low end nikons/Redfield etc.

Clothes are not badly priced. Most gun stuff is overpriced or just low quality.

Worth a browse.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We have one in the local mall and I've been there a couple times for Black Friday sales.  They have overpriced ammo and it's their policy to do the background check for all weapon purchases even though not required by Iowa law with my CHL.  The first time I went there I walked in the mall entrance with the no guns signs, went to Dunham's and purchased my AK-47, and walked back out of the mall.  The second time I got a Mosin Nagant.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Worthless, lazy workers that act like your bothering them. Way over priced ammo, sometimes sale prices aren't to bad.

Decent prices on shoes when on sale, bout it though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They have handguns. Lots, actually. The prices are msrp or higher. Their optics are all low end Chinese stuff... centerpoint, bsa, low end nikons/Redfield etc.

Worth a browse.
View Quote

275 for a 420 can of 55gr lake city. 9mm ball winchester 50 box for 21. Yeah overpriced ammo. Flier said they had certain guns in stock and we're a good deal but local place said they did not get any. Not planning to go back. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Worth a browse.
View Quote

Pretty much this. Targets and cleaning supplies are decently priced and they carry A decent stock of ammo - including spam cans of 7.62x39 and 54r. Tons of clothes and they do carry AR's and lots of hand guns. I have never actually bought a firearm from them but Little Pony and I go there from time to time for things. It is also conveniently located right next to a Harbor Freight so when we need to go to one we go to the other as well
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
They used to have a lot of cool surplus guns. I haven't been there in 10 years though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in college in the 2006-2008 timeline, every few months I'd purchase a single stack WASR for $200 and open up the magwell. Their guns and ammo are outlandishly overpriced, then they'll run some awesome sales for Black Friday, Labor Day, or some other holiday. Even back then, it was like $600 for a doublestack WASR that they're run on sale for $325 or $200 Mosins that would go on sale for $85.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No handguns unless recently changed, not much long gun selection, overpriced ammo, over priced safes. I buy golf balls there occasionally but that is about all.

View Quote

Another Dick's then........
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worth a browse.
View Quote

They never had handguns or even folding stock rifles at any in MI, didn't want to deal with purchase permits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Worth a browse.
View Quote
This, think Gander Mountain with more of an emphasis on sports than sportsmen.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Their Christmas/Black Friday guns deals have been very good, historically. Got a Century L1A1 for $279 years ago, ran like a top. $69 Mosins, too.

They have some good deals on shoes & golf equipment, and frequently have good coupons with 25% off, which helps.

I like them, even tho gun prices are normally high.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Used to have good deals, $300 wasr's, $80 mosins, $200 yugo sks's.  Since the panic everything is a ripoff.  They still offer a 30% off coupon so I bought an eotech 512 for $330 which isn't bad.  Ammo is a little overpriced but usually priced better than cabelas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I shop at Dunham's in Maysville Ky. They do sell handguns, I've never seen one sold. I've bought 1 shotgun from them, a Mossburg 500 combo with scope as a gift for my son. The price was right but the process was very annoying. They are absolutely anal about the paperwork. No abreviations. All numbers in your address must be spelled out. Before all of this you have to find an employee and ask for someone to come to the gun counter. Optics are all cheap junk. A gun store they are not. But, they do have a descent selection of outdoor gear and sporting gear. Deals can be found if you watch their flyer. All in all a smaller version of Dick's that will set up shop in smaller towns that the big boys wouldn't bother with. A descent store that serves smaller towns, that's it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dunham's Sports to open first Oklahoma store in Shawnee Mall

Dunham's Sports, a Michigan-based company, plans to open a store at Shawnee Mall, according to a building permit filed a week ago with the city, said Jared Cooper, chief building official for the city. "Their goal is to be open in time for Black Friday, depending on how things go with renovation,” he said.

http://www.news-star.com/article/20150730/NEWS/150729738

They don't have any stores in this part of the country, so I don't know anything about them beyond that they sell guns, hunting and fishing stuff, plus other sporting goods, what can you tell me?

View Quote

Decent.

As far as guns go, the selection varies wildly from store to store, the price varies from good, just a bit more than internet prices, to "meh" with a few crack smoking prices thrown in just to make you chuckle.  Mostly good though.

The other products seem to have the same variation on prices.  I think they must be set at random.

Customer service needs serious work though, they are usually understaffed and it can take a long time (5-30+ minutes) to get someone behind the gun counter and then they usually do not know what they are talking about, or selling.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have handguns now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Typical sports store. MSRP on everything, sometimes sales can be had that are great.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been to one of their black Friday sales about 5 years ago and bought a few guns. They had AKs, ARs, some milsurp, tacticool, and Fudd stuff.
Their gun counter isn't the biggest in any of the ones I've been to, but bigger than Wal-mart.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
They carry handguns now. Everything is MSRP or above. The only things that are good deals are cases of birdshot and clays. You can find 22 there if you are vigilant though. I have purchased two guns from there, both of which could have been purchased elsewhere for the same price or less, or the same price for a better model. They used to have cheap WASR sales.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#22]
They used to have scads of Turkish Mausers for like $50 when i first got into shooting.  I also remember seeing Saigas on the shelf many years ago for $179. I still kick myself for not foing.  

I think I bought a Yugo SKS from Dunhams for $125 back in the day.

Nowadays like others have said, they are comically overpriced. I rarely even go in to look any more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My local Dunhams:  Got a great Black Friday deal on a S&W Shield 9 mm there last year.  Per the gun counter manager, even now the .22 ammo is 'neckbearded' from the store daily.  Some of the sales staff is gun-ignorant, others reasonably knowledgeable.  No pressure to buy any make or model, or anything at all for that matter.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Pretty much this. Targets and cleaning supplies are decently priced and they carry A decent stock of ammo - including spam cans of 7.62x39 and 54r. Tons of clothes and they do carry AR's and lots of hand guns. I have never actually bought a firearm from them but Little Pony and I go there from time to time for things. It is also conveniently located right next to a Harbor Freight so when we need to go to one we go to the other as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth a browse.

Ive frequented that particular location.   Their WASRs were hideously overpriced last time I checked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Think of them as the "Big Lots" of sporting goods stores.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Stood at ammo counter. Got ignored by the help, who couldn't be distracted from their conversation to wait on me.

Repeat this, a visit or two a year for ten years before firing them.

Fuck em'. They don't want my money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They never had handguns or even folding stock rifles at any in MI, didn't want to deal with purchase permits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worth a browse.

The one in Lansing/East Lansing sold handguns in the early 90's. They stopped when someone smashed the case, grabbed a pistol, and ran like a gazelle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Used to be decent for ammo.

Some are dirty caves of stores, others bright and clean.

You can get some epic gunstore stories from the crews that work there. One guy was convinced his dad was in SF in 'Nam and was killing dudes at a mile plus with custom ammo in their M16s.

I about laughed in the dude's face. If I wasn't busy buying an SKS I would have.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one in Howell has handguns now don't know about the others. Fairly recent though.
Stop by now and again, occasionally they have overpriced 22 but I can't remember the last thing or time I bought anything from them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good luck finding staff. around depending on the time of day.

View Quote

They sell handguns here, but the part in red fucking nails it.

Generally, they suck ass.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#33]
The one here has handguns and long guns, all overpriced. Yugo Mausers for $500, etc. The ammo is stupidly priced with some sale or clearance exceptions. Otherwise, a fairly run of the mill sports store.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#34]
The stores feel like a shrunk down Dicks store.  No real deals that I've seen.  Just another chain, but smaller which is why I might be inclined to support them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Overpriced everything. See a coupon? Read the fine print. Dang near every major brand will be excluded. 5% off total order: Excludes under Armour, nike, ammunition, gun safes, firearms, north face, kayaks, weight equipment, beef Jerky.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't go in there any more. Poor selection, high prices, and poor customer service keep me away.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Opening day they will have lots of ammo - they pull extra from other stores order - one opened here a year r so ago
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Forgot to mention that they have good deals on safes. Good luck finding staff to help you buy one though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top