BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2015 2:54:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the person meant, where on your body.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say where in your yard, not on your body.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My first thought was where on the body. You already said "yard".
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That....seems strikingly neutral.   I'm dead center.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
It is "ambiguous" but English is a language of context so I would assume that he means where in the yard so that he won't get it too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, if he looked like this I'd vote one way...

And if he looked like this I'd vote otherwise...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is "ambiguous" but English is a language of context so I would assume that he means where in the yard so that he won't get it too.
View Quote

Exact;y what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
To me it sounds like he meant where in the yard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
My interpretation == yard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think where on your body. Who cares abt where it was outside lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have poison ivy in 1/3 of your yard, then both answers are correct.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
My first reaction was "where in the yard".  

Thinking about it further, I could see it as "where on your body" as well, but that would be an odd question I think.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Since a possible answer to one is "on my penis," I'd assume he's asking the other option.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
My gut reaction is to assume "where in the yard", but I can easily see it going either way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Yard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since a possible answer to one is "on my penis," I'd assume he's asking the other option.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Which would be hilarious, which is why I think the question was where on the body
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted yard. But I could see it going the other way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Was he looking at you with lust in his eye when he asked?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Since I'm so sensitive to that plant from HELL, I want to know where it is so I can avoid it!

I've learned, as everyone should, that it doesn't matter which part of ones body touches those oily leaves of three.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
How I'd answer that question...

"Down by the creek; all over my junk.  Wanna see?"

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
"In my ditch" is equally correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Where on the body.

Where the plant was located is insignificant, because the poison ivy would have affected you the same regardless.

Where the rash on your body can make a significant difference.  For example, it being on your balls vs. being on your arm would be something that's worth knowing about.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Since he comes over a good bit and you two discuss projects as well as the yard and trees my thoughts are where in the yard did you come in contact with the nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Yard
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Yard. Are you gonna use the results to prove your wife wrong? That's wrong.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Somewhere there is a goose with very itchy genitalia...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I think he means "where did you acquire/buy it" because he wants to get some too.  As in:

Friend: "Where did you get the poison ivy?"
DK-Prof: "At Walmart down on MLK Blvd.  They are having a clearance on invasive, poisonous plants and AR15s."
Friend: "Awesome!  I have been looking all over for some poison ivy but everywhere I go, they are out of stock."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Would agree with needing the context to know for sure...

If you had just been discussing how painful, irritating, whatever the PI was on your foot, then the context would tend to indicate they were looking for a location on your person.

If you had just been discussing how you should have spotted it while last mowing, bbq-ing, swimming in the backyard pool, climbing a tree etc ... then the context would tend to indicate they were looking for the geographical location of said ivy.

Or, they could have been asking about someone else.. I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I would've just looked him in the face and said, "The fuck did you just say? Do I look like a clown? Do I fucking amuse you?"

And laughed at the confusion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I recently got poison ivy on my foot, and that sucked.

The other day, a good friend of ours was over to play cards, (and who has been to the house many times, and we often talk about remodeling/renovations, the yard, trees, etc.) and asked me this question:

"Where did you get the poison ivy?"

Would you interpret that question to be about where in the yard I got it, or where on my body I got it?

I interpreted it one way, but my wife said it was obvious the question was intended the other way.  

So I am curious if I was way off, or it it really is ambiguous.

View Quote

when in doubt, the wife is ALWAYS right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, if he looked like this I'd vote one way...
http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/931/592/931592/original.jpg

And if he looked like this I'd vote otherwise...
http://urbanoutsource.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/gardeners-eastern-suburbs.jpg
View Quote

don't lie you would answer penis either way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Is the asker gay?

Me....I'd be concerned where (geographically) you contracted it from or think you may have so that I don't go in there and get. I don't give a shit if its on your toes or butt crack. I don't plan on touching you so your physical location of breakout is of no consequence to me.

Now... your buddy on the other hand.....Hey I'm not judging...
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#34]
either answer is correct for the question as posed.

Answer it.

If he doesn't like the truth,

he can ask again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think he means "where did you acquire/buy it" because he wants to get some too.  As in:

Friend: "Where did you get the poison ivy?"
DK-Prof: "At Walmart down on MLK Blvd.  They are having a clearance on invasive, poisonous plants and AR15s."
Friend: "Awesome!  I have been looking all over for some poison ivy but everywhere I go, they are out of stock."
View Quote

This would have been my first reaction also, although I would not have been as clever as LibertyUberAlles. I would have just said, "It came with the house."
Poorly worded questions deserve confusing answers. Language exists in order to communicate ideas; he failed. Perhaps not to the "English, motherfucker! Do you speak it?" degree, but fail nonetheless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Needs a little more context.  What was said right before the question?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#39]
If the person understood how to use the English language, then the question is asking where the geophysical location of the poison ivy was.  Presumably a person would be far more likely to ask this because they want to make sure they don't also contract poison ivy.

Asking where do you itch is a little more personal.

If they wanted to know where the poison ivy is active on your person, it would make more sense to ask where do you have poison ivy rather than where did you get poison ivy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I went with "yard" but the correct interpretation of the question might be "How did the poison ivy come to be in your yard?" as in, if it's unusual to have poison ivy in a yard where you live, I wonder how it got there or if I, too, have poison ivy.

Also I think it's strange that nobody has posted a picture of Uma Thurman yet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Hammerm....... nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could go either way, depending on the context of the conversation prior to the question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I would interpret that as what location in nature did you visit to pick it up, but I can see the other side as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#44]
you are in Virginia...He meant where on your body.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#45]
"From your Mama" would be an appropriate response.  At least among myself and my friends.  But, we're kind of fucked up like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#46]
It depends on how educated the guy is, considering he hangs out with someone who posts on GD I went with where on your body
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Yard.

It's already implied you got the poison ivy on either your hands or your feet. No further information needed in that line.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To me it sounds like he meant where in the yard.
View Quote

Same, I assumed you would have said something to the effect of, "Damn, my foot itches, I got into some poison Ivy the other day."
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Could go either way, depending on the context of the conversation prior to the question.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So I recently got poison ivy on my foot, and that sucked.

The other day, a good friend of ours was over to play cards, (and who has been to the house many times, and we often talk about remodeling/renovations, the yard, trees, etc.) and asked me this question:

"Where did you get the poison ivy?"

Would you interpret that question to be about where in the yard I got it, or where on my body I got it?

View Quote

What was your friends reply when you asked him which way he meant it?

A followup question.  Would I say I got poison ivy "in my eyes" or "on my eyes" once.  Either way, it was nasty looking.  Grown men jumped back in fear.  Both eyes blood red, with the associated skin whelps about my face.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top