Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2001 9:18:31 PM EDT
A friend of mine just picked up a Colt AR-15 Sporter in 7.62x39 from someone who was moving to Kanada.  I don't have the serial number handy, but I can describe it as follows:

Receiver marked "Sporter Lightweight" and with the commie caliber.

A3 removable carrying handle

20" barrel with a flash hider and no bayonet lug.

According to my friend, he is freaked over someone telling him that it is a post ban gun with a flash hider illegally attached.  Naturally, he ran home and tore it apart. [;)]

As far as I can remember, Colt did not make any of these caliber guns after the 1994 ban; but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something.  Can anyone tell me anything about these guns?  I know they are rare, but how rare and were there any true post bans manufactured?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Saleen
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
testing:

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
OK,..Im in!!

anyway, its easy to tell a Colt pre-ban from a post ban if in doubt.

Tell your friend the only thing he has to do is call the Colt factory.

-They will ask him for the serial number.

-They will run the serial number thru their computors.

-They will then tell him whether or not he is in possession of a pre-ban or a post ban.

end of story.  No more guessing. No more sh*thouse lawyers giving you bad advice. But instead, it comes from the horses mouth.

based strictly on your post,...its sounds to me like he has a genuine PRE-ban. But then again,..only the Colt factory can verify this.

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks meathook,  I was actually hoping no one would suggest that since it has been tried already.  They gave him what we think was their SHIPPING date in early 1995 I think.  

I also feel that this is a pre-ban since it has a COLT barrel and seems unmolested.  I would be suspicious it the upper was an obvious Olympic Arms or no-name brand assembly, but its not.

The guy at the factory didn't seem too knowledgeable about this gun, and I KNOW a few of you out there have one.  Maybe we should try to call the factory again and see if we can talk to someone who is more on the ball.

Saleen
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this same upper "Colt Sporter Lightweight" Model R6851DC flash hider no lug.  

When I had some pre/post ban questions about a lower, a phone call to Colt with the serial# gave me the manufacture date.  This may ease you buddy's mind.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, the rifle is no longer in it's original factory configuration. The Sporter Lightweight 7.62x39 had an A2 upper and a 16" barrel. This was the only configuration in which Colt offered the 7.62x39 Sporters. This model, the 6830, was offered for about 3 years, from 1993-1995/96. Yes, there were some post-ban examples produced. I have 2 of these fine weapons, both pre-bans.

The flat top 16" and 20" 7.62x39 chambered uppers were offered only as "upper conversion kits".

If you have already called Colt and they said 1995, sorry, but that is most likely the production date. If it makes you feel better, you can try again, but be prepared for this same answer. I've called Colt about both of mine and was given the respective dates of manufacture, 1993 and 1994, confirming their pre-ban status.

Given the information provided, I have to disagree with Meat-Hook. It sounds like you have a POST-BAN. Hopefully your friend didn't pay a pre-ban price. Otherwise, he may want to catch up to the seller before they head to Canada.

If your friend plans on keeping this gun and upper, I would suggest he contact someone like Kurt's Kustom Firearms and see about having a post-ban legal USGI A2 lookalike muzzle brake made and permanently installed on the barrel.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Boomer,

Thanks for the information.  Kevin will be dissappointed, but I think he was expecting it.  He did pay a pre-ban price IMHO ($1100), or is that about right for a 7.62x39 marked lower given the rarity?  At any rate, he was right and I was wrong.

I never knew that Colt offered these after the 1994 ban, let alone that they offered uppers as conversion kits.  I guess you learn something new every day --- one of the reasons I love this forum so much.

Again, many thanks to all who helped out.

Saleen
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch. $1100 could probably have gotten you a pre-ban. I bought one of my R6830s in like new condition last fall for $900. These misunderstood, underappreciated guns actually tend to command a little bit less than their .223 counterparts. I think they are actually one of the better kept secrets of the Colt ARs.

Was this gun represented as a pre-ban, or did your friend just assume it to be and took his chances? I would contact the seller if it was indeed sold under the premise of being an authentic pre-ban. Perhaps the the threat of legal action might convince him to do the right thing. After all, he did manufacture an illegal assault weapon. He could be denied entry into Canada if their border guards find out that he has a criminal history. You'd be surprised how little it takes to be denied entry into their country.

Like I said, if your friend is happy with the gun and plans on keeping it regardless, he should look into have some sort of compliant muzzle brake permanently installed. I'd talk to KKF. If you friend is interested in hi-cap mags, check out [url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]. The have the USA 7.62x39 30 round hybrid mags, model EXC133, which are the only USA mags that actually work and seem to do well in my own R6830.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The [b]Colt[/b] 7.62X39 uppers are still beng offered through [url]www.brownells.com[/url] for $613, carry-handle is an extra $149.($762 total)

These are post-ban.

Don't know if this information is of any use or not, I'm just bored. Good Night!
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
STRAIGHT FROM THE HARTFORD-HORSEY`S MOUTH!!!.....[chainsaw]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top