Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2015 7:55:12 AM EDT
Tell me about your setup.  Food plots, feeders, cameras, attractants.  

I have about an acre dedicated to white tail.  I'm planning on planting some winter food for them shortly.  

Just wanted to see what works for everyone else.  Little to no mass this year so a good food source will be pretty valuable.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/666913_Transforming_a_Scotch_Pine_jungle_.html

Grab a snack, long read^

ETA for the TLDR's; Clover and Rye always a hit at my place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I apply no tactic other than go sit in a tree stand and wait. The wood rats always come.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Asking deer hunters to "get in here" on Arfcom?

I'm out before the Fire Marshall comes and shuts this down!

TC
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I like a mixture of turnips and winter wheat.  

We have about 7 acres of soybeans, but some of the plots got hammered.  These should be about waist high.  We overseeded them with turnips so the deer will have something to munch on.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
While I agree that food plots, bait & staying put have a higher success rate than me, I prefer to hunt them.

Find a track near a rub or scrape, follow it and make a shot.

Sometimes it takes more than one season to find "the one that did that"

This pic is 30yds from the above pic.

I go on the theory espoused by John "Mud" Duquette - "They full time deer.  You part time hunter".
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Looking at putting in a new food plot this fall,  usually we only use rye, our other grasses,  I want to use a mix with turnips.
I use bone hawg minerals and have had great success with it so far. I actually prefer to hunt runways or travel routes over hunting the food plots and only scent i use is herd or other calming scent.

I use a Bushnell black light ir camera.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#7]
We run the gamut.  Theres a guy that sits on the porch, smokes Marlboros and whacks a doe every year.
I go sit in a ladder stand and whack one usually on opening day.  We drop 4-5 by day 2 then hunt horns.
Were also in the #1 deer/buck take county in my state though and they are everywhere.

Deer just usually decimate the garden thats planted
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Put some food in on one side, and hinge cut a decent size area (google it) to give them security.

Don't overlook digging out a watering hole so when it dries up everywhere else, you could have water while the rest of the area is dry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Wow, I have a place on the west side of missaukee county with very similar land. My grandpa used to let Christmas tree farmers lease about 20 acres, they quit about 10 years ago when we took over, and the scotch pi es were cleared, but we didn't do anything and they came back. Now they are all around 10' tall and just talked with a forester that said more or less... Start cutting!

Lol. Sounds like I'm probably not too far from you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
What works for me is putting in the time and staying in the stand. There are a lot of fancy gizmos and foodplot BS out there, but if you hunt in an area where there are deer, and just put in the stand time, you'll be successful and you don't need all of that other shit.

ETA: We have a SW prevailing wind on most days, so set your stand up NE of where you think the deer are moving through. Also, edges. Edges between field and forest, land and water, etc. Deer love edges.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I grab the muzzle loader and head to an old cedar tree my brother and i trimmed out.  Deer show up like clockwork.  No food plots or trailcameras.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow, I have a place on the west side of missaukee county with very similar land. My grandpa used to let Christmas tree farmers lease about 20 acres, they quit about 10 years ago when we took over, and the scotch pi es were cleared, but we didn't do anything and they came back. Now they are all around 10' tall and just talked with a forester that said more or less... Start cutting!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm right off 131 and 42 SE of Manton. Come check out my range if you are gonna be up soon.

Acid sand, no topsoil but 35 acres of green jungle. Been cutting overgrown 50' White Spruce trying to reclaim one puny acre behind the house. Hundreds down, 60 more to go til I can get the excavators in. Pole barn and garden going in once it is graded level.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

While I agree that food plots, bait & staying put have a higher success rate than me, I prefer to hunt them.

Find a track near a rub or scrape, follow it and make a shot.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/rub2011.jpg

Sometimes it takes more than one season to find "the one that did that"

This pic is 30yds from the above pic.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/rubwithrifle.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/snowshoerepair_zps7e0f02f8.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/snowshoeshadow_zps8df58212.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/trackingwoundeddeer.jpg
I go on the theory espoused by John "Mud" Duquette - "They full time deer.  You part time hunter".
View Quote
Thanks for reminding some "hunters" here that shooting over bait stretches the definition.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for reminding some "hunters" here that shooting over bait stretches the definition.  
View Quote

Bait?  You mean like a food plot, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Not long now. Just bought my 14 year old his new bolt gun and some Nikon glass. We are mounting and sighting it in this weekend.

I may throw a few salt blocks out and will do a couple of feeders early in the season. Mainly to put cameras on to see what deer are sneaking around and if any have shootable size.

But I'm a sit in the woods all day kind of guy. I hunt my own property but also hunt public land and always pull deer off of those public lands. The key is to sit. I climb the tree in the morning and don't get out until I shoot a deer or it gets dark. Find a nice open hardwood valley anywhere in Georgia and eventually a deer will walk through it.

It's funny, I have had guys walk right under my stand and see deer sneaking in behind them. One time I shot a deer just 30 seconds after another hunter cleared the ridge out of a nice hollow I was hunting. He ran back over and thought I was shooting at him. The nice 6 point was laying at the bottom of the valley. I just waved and he came over. He was shocked the deer had slipped into the valley after he had just walked through it.

I use a Treelounge stand and that helps with being in the woods in comfort.

Wish I had more time to plant and develop some food plots.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's this food plot business.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we can't have people improving the deers' habitat!

We plant clovers and mixes for spring/fall and turnips etc to help get them through the winter. It's not as much to "bait" them into a particular spot but to make the entire area more attractive to deer. Hunt routes to/from the food plots rather than right on them, too. Same as if they were going to a farmer's cornfield.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I personally like to walk hunt or just sit up under the branches of a mesquite tree with my back to it in an area that has some open pasture.
There are so many deer in south Texas that I always see a large amount of does and bucks so I try and forego the tower blinds and not shooting towards deer at a feeder.
More fun too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big bait pile attached to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't sound like hunting at all.

Do you put a rope on the deer and stake them down too
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Drive back roads,  if deer on drivers side passenger holds drivers beer for the shot, if deer on passenger side driver holds passengers beer. Pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm right off 131 and 42 SE of Manton. Come check out my range if you are gonna be up soon.
http://youtu.be/t06Tq5GTw1c

Acid sand, no topsoil but 35 acres of green jungle. Been cutting overgrown 50' White Spruce trying to reclaim one puny acre behind the house. Hundreds down, 60 more to go til I can get the excavators in. Pole barn and garden going in once it is graded level.
http://youtu.be/_wHQ9N5W1DY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/t06Tq5GTw1c

http://youtu.be/_wHQ9N5W1DY

You can't be more than 10 miles from my property... I'm heading up/over tomorrow morning for labor day weekend. I have a little range myself we do an annual shoot there since they still live in Michigan. Forces a get together.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Popcorn, bread, dog food and syrup... Your deer look weird tho..

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Drive back roads,  if deer on drivers side passenger holds drivers beer for the shot, if deer on passenger side driver holds passengers beer. Pretty simple really.
View Quote

Who's holding the spotlight?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy not holding the beer... duh.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I see the "its only hunting if you do it my way " guys have shown up !
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So hunting an area like an acorn filled oak bottom is unsporting too??
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Just noticed that Google maps finally updated my area.

All to this plan.

7 plots, 3 waterholes, 4+ acres reclaimed from forest by my effort and planted for Deer, Turkey, Grouse and small game BENEFIT ALL YEAR ROUND.
Dozens of deer beds cut and cleared, thousands of trees hinge-cut and blocking cut to provide thermal protection and security.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can't be more than 10 miles from my property... I'm heading up/over tomorrow morning for labor day weekend. I have a little range myself we do an annual shoot there since they still live in Michigan. Forces a get together.
View Quote

I'll be up this weekend. IM sent
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#31]
We have great success in central Ohio hunting field edges. We throw a little molasses corn in a couple spots to try to entice them into field corners.  No need for food plots, or trail cameras for that matter. But we have some cameras out to track the shooter bucks through the season.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Pay attention to the wind.  Deer use the wind as a tool like we use our eyes.   They are also constantly scanning around and listening for movement and sound so you have to remain still and silent or be moving very slowly like a ghost in the woods.  I usually end up jumping them before getting a shot when stalking so I do more stand hunting (tree and ground).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Set up feeder with timer and fill with corn. Set feeder to go off twice a day. Surf arfcom while waiting for deer to show up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have about an acre dedicated to white tail.  I'm planning on planting some winter food for them shortly.  

Just wanted to see what works for everyone else.  Little to no mass this year so a good food source will be pretty valuable.
View Quote

What's your soil PH? That will tell you what will work. If you have very low PH(below 5.5), I'd go Winter Rye. If you are around neutral, I'd go White Cover. Also, don't buy the Buck-on-Bag seed if you can. They are 90% ryegrass(read: filler) and a waste of money.

I don't use feeders because they're verboten in my county, but if you use them, get one with timers and set the timers to go off just after dawn and around an hour before dusk.

Cameras: I tend to use midrange cameras, so if they get stolen I'm not out a lot. Moultrie A5 takes good daytime pics and ok night pictures. I got one for $50. It was worth it at that price. There are better cameras out there if you're willing to spend some money.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

What's your soil PH? That will tell you what will work. If you have very low PH(below 5.5), I'd go Winter Rye. If you are around neutral, I'd go White Cover. Also, don't buy the Buck-on-Bag seed if you can. They are 90% ryegrass(read: filler) and a waste of money.

I don't use feeders because they're verboten in my county, but if you use them, get one with timers and set the timers to go off just after dawn and around an hour before dusk.

Cameras: I tend to use midrange cameras, so if they get stolen I'm not out a lot. Moultrie A5 takes good daytime pics and ok night pictures. I got one for $50. It was worth it at that price. There are better cameras out there if you're willing to spend some money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I currently have one 30 gallon feeder going three times a day for 8 seconds each.  There is never any corn on the ground.  

I planted turnips, a shitload of clover and some winter rye.  It all came up very nicely.  I'm getting ready to do my winter plot soon. Any suggestions for winter stuff only? It gets decently cold at my spot.  (Stays below 20 for a week at a time maybe?)

I enjoy doing the pregame work for the season.  It's also fun to watch the wildlife go crazy when the feeder spins off.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I planted turnips, a shitload of clover and some winter rye.  It all came up very nicely.  I'm getting ready to do my winter plot soon. Any suggestions for winter stuff only? It gets decently cold at my spot.  (Stays below 20 for a week at a time maybe?)

I enjoy doing the pregame work for the season.  It's also fun to watch the wildlife go crazy when the feeder spins off.
View Quote

I have had all of that stuff survive winter^ in 49663 zip. Add some groundhog radish and chicory, those survive as well.
This button is digging through snow to get to it. They will eat the tops of radish/turnip but don't really go after the tuber till a good long freeze.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
I never heard it put this way before, but that is spot on.

This is just a little guy. Last year I found tracks so big I first thought they were rabbit tracks. Last year I bought 23 acres of mixed wooded high ground and swamp. I know that they are out there. I'll probably put up a ladder stand this year, but it is getting a bit late in the year, and I have enough on my plate as it is to be able to build the stand that I want to.

Last year I built a 7.62x39 AR15 specifically for deer hunting. I didn't get a chance to shoot it last year though. I know it is fugly, but the deer don't care what it looks like.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#38]
We cant bait deer......
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I currently have one 30 gallon feeder going three times a day for 8 seconds each.  There is never any corn on the ground.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All that stuff should survive winter. I would have no issues planting those for the winter. Other seeds to consider: dwarf essex rape and winter peas.

I'd plant DER, Clover.and radishes if my soil PH wasn't in the toilet(I'm working on getting it respectable). I agree with you, I love the preseason work. I got my Winter Rye planted literally an hour before the rain started. I can't wait to go back opening weekend and see how it looks.
Quoted:

I have had all of that stuff survive winter^ in 49663 zip. Add some groundhog radish and chicory, those survive as well.
This button is digging through snow to get to it. They will eat the tops of radish/turnip but don't really go after the tuber till a good long freeze.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/postban/Suppressors/Cast%20Bullet/IMG_20141122_115534995_zps2e734886.jpg

That's why I love Radishes. They are great after a freeze. Something about the sugars really attract the deer after a good freeze.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I sit in a stand a hundred yards away or so from a corn feeder. Between the ocotillo, agarita, prickly pear, greenbriar, and mesquite around there, you ain't stalkin a deer without a blood transplant. Not to mention snakes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Nothing fancy.
For 20+ years I have hunted family property.  Long ago there was an old stump at the end of a 3' high ridge that rose out of the swamp.  Sandy soil, high water table, oak, maple, ash trees.  Four 100+ yard firelanes spanning SW to SE across standing swampwater and onto a ridge about 3' above the swamp.  Three more from SE to NE covering the ridge with mostly dry ground.  Back to standing swamp water.

No food plots, no way to get machinery back there.

We upgraded the stump to a chair when it rotted into a low dirt mound ... maybe 15 years ago.

Backyard I'll put out apples and see does and fawns at dusk.  Haven't hunted though, no doe season in the UP.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Trying to find time to wander around and note traffic patterns. When the bucks start running does all hell is going to break loose, but I have some cameras up to see what time they come to water and need to see where the good bedding zones are.  Put out some corn and blocks.  Work is putting a dent in my scouting time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#43]
If you have any deer at all and there isn't other large food sources, the heard will wipe out an acre in a few days. Eventually nothing else will grow as they will browse it all the way down to the dirt.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you have any deer at all and there isn't other large food sources, the heard will wipe out an acre in a few days. Eventually nothing else will grow as they will browse it all the way down to the dirt.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top