Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2001 9:13:39 PM EDT
I just took my new Remington 700 PSS to the range to sight in my Leupold scope. I was shooting South African 55 gr. FMJ, which shot fair. My question is, does anyone else here have one of these rifles, and if so, what do you shoot as far as match grade ammo to get the best groups? I work part time for an FFL dealer here in the Dallas suburbs and I can get a good deal on a case if someone can recommend the best load. Just wanted to add that it is .223.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What's the rifle twist rate?  That will have a bearing on the weight of the projectile you may want to get.
Generally speaking, the 1:9 will go for 55-62 gr. fairly well; the 1:12 will prefer the lighter 40-52 gr.  Hope that's helpful.

Relevant topics are hard to get answers to on the General Discussion board sometimes.  I just dumped over 2 grand on equipment and posted the results with a lot of lookey-loos and NO responses.  Waaah!  Poor me!...
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got one but it's in .308.

I've had great success in Federal Match, I believe they're 168 gr bullets.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got one but it's in .308.

I've had great success in Federal Match, I believe they're 168 gr bullets.
View Quote

I too have the .308, the police LTR,and with the 168 gr match ammo, I get dime size groups at 100 yds.  For me thats good. I forgaot to mention that the twist is 1:9.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you thought of reloading?  For the price of a few boxes of ammo you could find a used setup and load ammo [i]customized[/i] to [b]your[/b] rifle.  Ask an [b]experienced[/b] reloader what his bullet jump on a particular batch of ammo is.  He will know.  Now, go ask anyone who shoots only factory.  They will have no idea.  There is nothing like hand crafted ammo.  Nothing.  Oh yea, the 55 grain is a little light.  Your best bet is the 62-69 range.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine's a PSS DM in .300 Win Mag.  I've only shot handloads and used a 168 Gr Sierra Matchking above 73 grains of IMR 4350.

It is capable of shooting sub MOA with the stock trigger, but just barely.  I'm not that patient, so MOA is just fine by me.  Besides, the damn thing gets too hot after several rounds, which I'm sure degrades accuraccy.  I don't have the patience to let it cool.

Because of the heavy barrel, recoil is quite tolerable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top