Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 8:50:51 PM EDT

Washington (CNN)The ACLU of Kentucky filed a motion in federal court Tuesday asking a judge to hold county clerk Kim Davis in contempt of court for failing to comply with the Supreme Court and issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

In court papers, the ACLU lawyers note that following the Supreme Court's order late Monday night, the plaintiffs in their case went to the Rowan County Clerk's office at 8 a.m. Tuesday to obtain a marriage license.

"Unfortunately , they were again denied by a deputy clerk who asserted that no marriage licenses would be issued," the ACLU said in a statement. The lawyers argue that Davis has "violated a definite and specific order" and that the Court is left "with no choice but to hold her in contempt."

Davis, of the Rowan County Clerk's office, has refused to issue any marriage licenses since the U.S. Supreme Court decision -- Obergefell v. Hodges -- came down. She is an Apostolic Christian who says that she has a sincere religious objection to same-sex marriage. Other clerks in the state have expressed concern, but Davis is the only one turning away eligible couples.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
But when I can't get my CCW permit (yes bullshit to need one but hey some places) the ACLU is quiet as can be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for her. Hopefully she avoids jail time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
So not that I could really care either way, I think the government should be completely out of the marriage business regardless,  but since she's refusing to comply with the law just fire her ass. Simple solution and gets this incredibly stupid subject out of the news.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this the court clerk who's been divorced three times and thinks the homos are ruining marriage?

Good for the ACLU. It's mostly a bullshit organization but occasionally they do some good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah that sounds so Civil Liberty-ish to NOT defend the clerk.  

The ACLU should have done NOTHING in this situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But when I can't get my CCW permit (yes bullshit to need one but hey some places) the ACLU is quiet as can be.
View Quote

Exactly.  It's become a bullshit organization.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not agree with her.  If she has problems with it, then quit.  But if you work for a public entity, then you have to follow the laws no matter what.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The Clerk is an idiot.  This is where you separate your personal religious belief from your duty to uphold the law.

If she felt that strongly about it, she should resign.  You don't get to keep the job and disobey the court when you are a Clerk of Court.

I am 100% opposed to gay marriage.

And I think this lady needs to go to jail.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
For once I side with the ACLU.  That fat religious zealot cunt needs to go to fucking jail and be fined big time.
She's the shining example of a christian, married 4 fucking times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, my good chum, what's good for the goose is good for the gander right? Either the clerk can issue permits/licenses as they see fit or they need to rubber stamp everything based on the law. Which one is it?

Cheerio
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do not agree with her.  If she has problems with it, then quit.  But if you work for a public entity, then you have to follow the laws no matter what.
View Quote

I'm going with you.

Do the job that you were elected to do and for which you're being paid $80,000 a year.

If you don't want to issue marriage certificates to gay people, McDonalds is paying $15/hr, so go work there.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Clerk is an idiot.  This is where you separate your personal religious belief from your duty to uphold the law.

If she felt that strongly about it, she should resign.  You don't get to keep the job and disobey the court when you are a Clerk of Court.

View Quote

Why not just fire her?

I, for one, support the clerk's right to give a big FU to the Supreme Court.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good for her. Hopefully she avoids jail time.
View Quote

Eric Holder did for contempt of congress
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Well what else would you call it by legal definition?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why not just fire her?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not just fire her?

She's elected.

And she does not have that right.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Good, I hope she goes to sit-on-my-face prison.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
She's elected.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not just fire her?

She's elected.

I didn't know it was an elected position.  Most places, it's civil service.

Point is, you don't get to pick and choose as a Clerk of Court.  

What if she has religious objections to signing off on a subpoena?  Or noticing a summons?

Bull-fucking-shit.

If I was the County Judge in that courthouse, she would be in leg irons.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

But if she was standing up for the second amendment and granting gun licenses we'd all be championing her
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
She IS in contempt of court, the SCOTUS version.
She has a job verifying mariage data for legal marriages.
She is not doing her job and is in defiance of SCOTUS.
She has lost 3 times in a row, quickly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
But if she was standing up for the second amendment and granting gun licenses we'd all be championing her

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And if a cow had a dick it'd be a bull.

But it doesn't.

So it isn't.

What's your point?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't wait for the muslims to finish seizing control of places like Dearborn, and the clerks refusing marriage licenses to Christian couples for not paying jizya. I expect toppest of keks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For once I side with the ACLU.  That fat religious zealot cunt needs to go to fucking jail and be fined big time.
View Quote

She's a recent convert.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So not that I could really care either way, I think the government should be completely out of the marriage business regardless,  but since she's refusing to comply with the law just fire her ass. Simple solution and gets this incredibly stupid subject out of the news.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I find the reaction here just as ridiculous, for the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

She's a recent convert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a recent convert.

Had her fun,now it's time to straighten up and fly right!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
She's a recent convert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's a recent convert.

Ah.  Reformed Slut Syndrome.

Like "former smoker" but 100 times more zealous.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
FOUR different men married her?

Does she just have a thing for blind men?

Woof.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
the government should get out of the marriage license business
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the government should get out of the marriage license business
View Quote

This response is arfcom marriage license equivalent of hands up, don't shoot
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#32]
The funny thing is there is a big uproar about her not issuing marriage licenses for same sex marriage but she has stopped issuing licenses to everyone no matter there sexual orientation.  The community can call a special election to replace the bimbo if that's what they want to do.  Plus while it might be her job to issue said licenses there is no law that requires her to issue marriage licenses to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
If BHO can choose which laws to follow and enforce, why not her?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no problem with someone taking a stand for what they believe is right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#35]
The USSCt decision in question said that homosexual marriage must be permitted under the same terms and conditions as heterosexual marriage.

The clerk is not issuing marriage licenses to anyone, and is therefore acting in accordance with the decision.

She is not discriminating against anyone. She is treating all persons identically.

If she is failing to do her job, that is a matter for state authorities or for the voters. Nothing she has done implicates any federal right or any interest of the federal government.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

She IS in contempt of court, the SCOTUS version.

She has a job verifying mariage data for legal marriages.

She is not doing her job and is in defiance of SCOTUS.

She has lost 3 times in a row, quickly.
View Quote
SCOTUS has nothing to do with this.  SCOTUS never issued an opinion requiring her to do anything.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#37]
If the fed gov can cast a blind eye to court ordered/constitutional rights in any state they choose, I'm fine with any state doing the same to the fed gov's court orders, particularly when an order has no constitutional relevance in the first place. If the clerk is getting marched off for contempt, she needs to be marching right behind a slew of  fed officials at the DOJ, IRS, State Dept, etc.

Regardless, all levels of gov should get out of the marriage approval business.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So not that I could really care either way, I think the government should be completely out of the marriage business regardless,  
View Quote

So, you think it is acceptable for a county clerk to refuse permission for Clarence Thomas to marry his wife simply because he/she does not believe in interracial marriage?

That is what would happen if the *.gov was not in the regulatory side of the game.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a devout Christian... and I believe she needs to step aside.

You don't get to be elected to public office and then use that office to force your beliefs on others who don't believe the same way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You don't get to be elected to public office and then use that office to force your beliefs on others who don't believe the same way.
View Quote

Agreed with this too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
She should be.  If she couldn't do the job as demanded by the people who employ her, she should have resigned instead of being an activist.

If you work for the government, you must obey the laws that govern your job.  If you can't do that, don't do the job.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#43]
She's also been married 4 times and committed adultery. Tell me again how she's a moral authority.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is this the court clerk who's been divorced three times and thinks the homos are ruining marriage?

Good for the ACLU. It's mostly a bullshit organization but occasionally they do some good.
View Quote

Agreed +10000000

Thus stupid attention whoring hick needs to shut the fuck up asap
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, forcing one's will on the people is a monopoly held by the Supreme Court.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Agreed with this too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed with this too.
Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's render unto God what is God's. Idiot needs to spend a wee bit more time reading the new testament and less time stonewalling the queers

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I am 100% in support ofgay marriage.

View Quote

Quoted but modified a bit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, she is in clear violation of the law.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh snap
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no, you too?!  What man did the supreme court force you to marry?  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top