Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 7:34:37 PM EDT
So, I've been doing my own jerky off and on for a while now and for the most part I just slice my beef, marinade it for a day or two in the fridge, then lay the beef out in an electric dryer to dry out, usually about 6hrs or so and it's good to go.  It's a little chewy and sticky from the marinade but, usually pretty dang good.

Well, a couple months back I wanted some Jerky and picked up a brand from the gas station called Wild Bills Hickory Smoked Beef Jerky.  It was pretty good IMO.  It was quite hard though, as in you had to either chew a lot harder or let it soak up some saliva in your mouth before you chewed it.  I was curious what part of the process made it this hard?   If I let mine dry longer in the electric dryer it just gets brittle.  

The website lists it as marinade and then smoked and the major ingredients being soy sauce, corn syrup, garlic, pepper, and red pepper.  I was curious if someone had a recipe similar to this I could try to get a similar flavor and if there is a method I can use in an electric dryer to get a similar hardness without the brittle meat I get now.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Not even a secret family recipe?  Dang...  haha
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is never the consitancy of store bought. I assume they steam it maybe?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Got any pics?

It's difficult to drool over your paragraph.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top