Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 12:54:37 PM EDT
An incident in her youth.

From an interview on Huffpost.

""Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility. You can’t f**k about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges ... those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do. You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say, whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility. I mean, I was naive.
If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be? ... If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged -- don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him. “If you’re wearing something that says ‘Come and f**k me,’ you’d better be good on your feet ... I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial, am I?” [via Vulture]"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11836674/Rape-victim-Chrissie-Hynde-deserves-our-sympathy.html

Slammed by other victims.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That's gonna go over real well with the SJWs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

An incident in her youth.

From an interview on Huffpost.

""Technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility. You can’t f**k about with people, especially people who wear ‘I Heart Rape’ and ‘On Your Knees’ badges ... those motorcycle gangs, that’s what they do. You can’t paint yourself into a corner and then say, whose brush is this? You have to take responsibility. I mean, I was naive.

If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk? Who else’s fault can it be? ... If I’m walking around and I’m very modestly dressed and I’m keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I’d say that’s his fault. But if I’m being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who’s already unhinged -- don’t do that. Come on! That’s just common sense. You know, if you don’t want to entice a rapist, don’t wear high heels so you can’t run from him. "If you’re wearing something that says ‘Come and f**k me,’ you’d better be good on your feet ... I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial, am I?” [via Vulture]"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11836674/Rape-victim-Chrissie-Hynde-deserves-our-sympathy.html

Slammed by other victims.
View Quote
She's not gonna get loved tenderly.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I certainly don't think any victim of rape is responsible for it. The rapist is!  However, I do believe that women need to use some common sense and maintain situational awareness to avoid it.

Walking around defenseless and drunk with people you don't know or can't trust is not a strategy for survival.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#4]
"You were asking for trouble" and "You deserved what happened to you" are two different sentiments.

Don't know why people can't grasp that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Cue the Morgan Freeman meme.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"You were asking for trouble" and "You deserved what happened to you" are two different sentiments.

View Quote

That and "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because sometimes the perpetrators and their defenders use the latter to try to lessen their own responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I certainly don't think any victim of rape is responsible for it. The rapist is!  However, I do believe that women need to use some common sense and maintain situational awareness to avoid it.

Walking around defenseless and drunk with people you don't know or can't trust is not a strategy for survival.
View Quote

Pretty much this!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was discussing this with the wife this morning when she told me about it. It's kinda like if I was to wear expensive flashy shit and start walking through the Ghetto. In a lawful utopia I should be fine, and I should reach my destination without issue. However in reality there is probably a fairly good chance my ass is getting robbed. Sure the fucker that robed me is a piece of shit and committed a crime, but I should have been expecting something bad to happen.

Of course I am not saying all instances are so cut and dry but women should be more cautious
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was discussing this with the wife this morning when she told me about it. It's kinda like if I was to wear expensive flashy shit and start walking through the Ghetto. In a lawful utopia I should be fine, and I should reach my destination without issue. However in reality there is probably a fairly good chance my ass is getting robbed. Sure the fucker that robed me is a piece of shit and committed a crime, but I should have been expecting something bad to happen.  
View Quote

True.  Stupidity still doesn't excuse the criminals.  They didn't have to rob you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Hynde has said some crazy shit in her day, but she's right. There are things that you do which can absolutely increase your risk of being targeted by criminals, but feminist are the mortal enemy of personal responsibility, so they will raise hell until she apologizes.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Of course I am not saying all instances are so cut and dry but women should be more cautious
View Quote

That's the exact example I have used in the past about the difference between culpability and responsibility.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because sometimes the perpetrators and their defenders use the latter to try to lessen their own responsibility.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Despite this, grown ups should still be able to tell the difference.  There is nothing intellectually dishonest about laying full responsibility on an attacker on one hand while advising potential victims to use some common sense on the other.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with this entirely.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]
She's going to get loved tenderly (seriously, no pun intended.  Arfcom phrase only!) by everyone for that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Despite this, grown ups should still be able to tell the difference.  There is nothing intellectually dishonest about laying full responsibility on an attacker on one hand while advising potential victims to use some common sense on the other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Except that there is a distinct lack of "grown-ups" when it comes to the topic of women's sexuality and sexual violence.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent way of stating it.

Of course morons will still say "I should be able to walk around nude and playing with myself without being harrassed."

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Increasing your risk of something bad happening by engaging in provacative behavior doesn't condone a violent act being committed against you.

However, it does make you stupid, and bad things often happen to stupid people.  It doesn't make it right, it just means you live in the real world, not some make believe world where you can strut your pretty ass around in front of 10 drunk, horny outlaw bikers and have nothing happen.

Open your eyes, don't be stupid.  How hard is that?  By the time you're old enough to go to college you should have that figured out.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but where does this take us?  Does the person who rapes a drunk woman in a short, tight skirt get a lesser sentence than the one who rapes a stone sober one in a burqa?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but where does this take us?  Does the person who rapes a drunk woman in a short, tight skirt get a lesser sentence than the one who rapes a stone sober one in a burqa?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all - they should both be sent to prison.

But we should be able to say to other young women, and our daughters, "She was stupid - don't do that."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it happens sometimes we should throw out common sense.  It keeps people from taking corrective action and provides a larger victim pool.  Who is really hurting young ladies?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People like to apply responsibility as if everyone shares the same scale from 0-100, and that by making the victim responsible, you have somehow removed responsibility from the perp.

No, everyone has a personal scale of responsibility.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#25]
1-Ultimately you have primary responsibility for your safety and security.  
2-It isn't an act of god when you do something stupid and your safety and security is compromised
3-Failure to recognize you have done something stupid, and blaming your jeopardized safety and security on an act of god anyway, means you better like or get used to living dangerously.

Not responsible for rape but responsible for bad PERSEC.  Doesn't excuse the rape, find the rapist and put him down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#26]
OST
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

So there I was swimming in the ocean with a side of bacon hanging off my neck and a shark came up and bit me...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
She went looking for snakes...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But we should be able to say to other young women, and our daughters, "She was stupid - don't do that."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That message isn't very well received when we're telling our young men to avoid sleeping with every random skank that will spread her legs for them if they want to avoid false rape charges either.

It's not just women that expect to be able to perpetrate stupid behavior sans consequences, and i hear just as much hue and cry raised from the men on this website when we try to use that logic on them as i hear from the feminists regarding precautions women can take to avoid being raped.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Much wisdom here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it take us there at all?

I don't recall lessor sentencing for rapists being tied to the notion that women should take common sense steps to protect themselves.  The point was never "Don't wear skimpy clothes in rough neighborhoods or else the guy that rapes you will be less guilty and thus get less time".  I'm not saying that you are the one that came up with it, but whoever did created a straw man argument.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
She's right you know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

this its akin to walking around counting hundred dollar bills you become a target.

walking around like acting like a drunk whore makes you a target.

hell feminists should be more outraged over the fake rapes that have been all the rage lately.

come over and fuck me in the ass means when some one comes over and fucks you in the ass its not rape even if you change your mind the next day when you cant sit down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That message isn't very well received when we're telling our young men to avoid sleeping with every random skank that will spread her legs for them if they want to avoid false rape charges either.

It's not just women that expect to be able to perpetrate stupid behavior sans consequences, and i hear just as much hue and cry raised from the men on this website when we try to use that logic on them as i hear from the feminists regarding precautions women can take to avoid being raped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well of course it falls on deaf ears - kids think they are invulnerable. But I didn't think anyone here was saying that young men get a pass on their stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Like walking through the hood counting hundred dollar bills.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

But forget the rape aspect, Why do women wear skimpy clothes?

Please don't say "I wear it for myself".... no woman wears 7" heels and bloodies their feet "for themselves" they wear it to Show off, intimidate other women, or attract men (or women).

I think the idea is, the more attention you get, the more chances for BAD attention you may also get, so while it's not a "YOUR FAULT YOU GOT RAPED" it's more of a "Everyone stared at you when you walked in, so you had EVERYONE's attention, thanks to that outfit, or lack-there-of, and you also got the attention of Rapey McDirtbag."

I hope I explained that correctly so no one thinks I'm blaming anyone for being the victim of rape.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well of course it falls on deaf ears - kids think they are invulnerable. But I didn't think anyone here was saying that young men get a pass on their stupidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of guys in those threads absolutely livid at anyone that suggests they not sleep with every random skank that offers it up to him. They treat that like an utterly absurd notion. Apparently it's not ok to tell men to keep it in their pants, just as it's not ok to tell women to perhaps not get sloppy drunk and run around half naked. Even if it means fewer victims of both rape and false rape accusations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't recall lessor sentencing for rapists being tied to the notion that women should take common sense steps to protect themselves.  The point was never "Don't wear skimpy clothes in rough neighborhoods or else the guy that rapes you will be less guilty and thus get less time".  I'm not saying that you are the one that came up with it, but whoever did created a straw man argument.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until very recently that WAS a reason for lesser sentencing or outright acquittal. There's a pretty long history in the courts of attacking the victim's behavior.  It's only recently that laws have been passed that forbid the defense in rape cases from bringing up the victim's past sexual behavior.  

I can understand women's sensitivity on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pretty much this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lots of guys in those threads absolutely livid at anyone that suggests they not sleep with every random skank that offers it up to him. They treat that like an utterly absurd notion. Apparently it's not ok to tell men to keep it in their pants, just as it's not ok to tell women to perhaps not get sloppy drunk and run around half naked. Even if it means fewer victims of both rape and false rape accusations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh - you mean idiots.  Yes, there will always be people who subscribe to "For me and not for thee."  But I also think in those threads there are men saying "He chose poorly" or "Don't stick it in the crazy."
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh - you mean idiots.  Yes, there will always be people who subscribe to "For me and not for thee."  But I also think in those threads there are men saying "He chose poorly" or "Don't stick it in the crazy."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Just like the ladies here that generally agree that being sloppy drunk and running around half dressed is perhaps a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Not a middle of the road statement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
She's going to get loved tenderly (seriously, no pun intended.  Arfcom phrase only!) by everyone for that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Truth is hate Speech for the SJW crowd
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Since the 9th Circus decided that a woman can withdraw consent in mid-act and  failure to immediately stop is a rape it's amazing that there aren't daily multiple arrests everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's certainly the way I was raised and that's the way I'd have raised my daughter, if I'd had one   But it's a funny thing: unless there an actual rape under discussion, a woman who acknowledges that she is at risk in a way that men typically are not and needs to behave accordingly, is often derided as man- hating feminist throwing the victim card unjustifiably and accusing all men of being potential rapists.  Of course, when there is, it's all "She was asking for trouble.  Just the way it is.  <shrug>
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:04:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope.

Please don't say "I wear it for myself".... no woman wears 7" heels and bloodies their feet "for themselves" they wear it to Show off, intimidate other women, or attract men (or women).

I think the idea is, the more attention you get, the more chances for BAD attention you may also get, so while it's not a "YOUR FAULT YOU GOT RAPED" it's more of a "Everyone stared at you when you walked in, so you had EVERYONE's attention, thanks to that outfit, or lack-there-of, and you also got the attention of Rapey McDirtbag."

I hope I explained that correctly so no one thinks I'm blaming anyone for being the victim of rape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top