Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2015 12:54:22 PM EDT
The ring door bell and video monitor doesn't look downward.    If you have a slightly elevated porch (3 feet)  that puts the IR device at 7-7.5 feet high and won't pick up any one shorter than an a few NBA centers.   However, it will pick up cars passing by ....   all night long.

Sending it back for a refund.    Hopefully, they are not scammers.

Note:      Made in China garbage.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't help but wonder if any member here has had good luck with them?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at them.  The car thing would defiantly not work for my casa.

Thanks for the post OP
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I REALLY want a door bell camera doohickey, but all the other ones seem to have issues as well.  Thanks for posting, now I know I'll revisit the issue again in a year or so and see if some other new product actually works well.  It's amazing that it's hard to make a great door bell camera system.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you set the sensitivity?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHy4eqQ_Ic
View Quote

Yes.    I have it set for max sensitivity.    Sure, it will pick up cars.    But, it won't pick up people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes,  I calked tech support.    They wanted to increase speed of the sensor.    I explained it won't pick up people still, wallking, or running.    

It appears it simply does not look downward.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLHy4eqQ_Ic
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't you just mount it with a very slight downward angle, instead of flush to your door trim?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one last month, and it's a mixed review. I had an old router, so I bought a new one, new modem, and was still having problems. I ended up getting a wifi extender, and it works well now. It's a fantastic idea, it just needs better honing. I have 6 security cameras on the exterior, but really like the added feature of the doorbell. I like the alert when someone comes up to my door, and I can tell salesmen to leave without going to the door.

Alot of reviews will be great for people that get good wifi signal, bad for those who dont. Each house is going to react differently, with settings and where it's mounted, etc. I have a secluded entryway, so the picture is great, the motion detect is great, but the stucco house and placement of my router causes a bit of wifi problem. I would think this product has a bright future if they can work the kinks out, it's an added layer of awareness conveniently sent to your phone, but it can be frustrating if it's not an ideal install location.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I researched these about 6 months ago because I think it's a great idea.

It really seems like the tech just isn't there yet, though. Or at least not in a reasonably priced residential version.

I decided to wait a couple years and see how they advance.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Couldn't you just mount it with a very slight downward angle, instead of flush to your door trim?
View Quote

Thought of that.   Will consider testing that out in a temporary configuration, before developing a permanent mount IF it works.

Still, at $260 for something less complicated than the electronics in a cell phone, it is disappointing.

$200 Ring doorbell and sensor
$30  Chime
$30 Yearly fee for data storage

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes,  I calked tech support.    They wanted to increase speed of the sensor.    I explained it won't pick up people still, wallking, or running.    

View Quote

I too just purchased.  Mounting area no problem for me, nor is traffic.  The motion sensor appears a little slow.  Curious, how were they going to speed it up?  Firmware?  Might be a solution for my only gripe so far.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want to know the kind of people you're dealing with, Google doorbot, as that is what ring was originally. They did a kickstarter for it and like usual, went past deadline, and then basically released a beta version. My doorbot has been a little finicky, but has been fairly reliable for the last 6 months or so.

When they came out with the second gen, they changed the name to ring and now have no re fences to doorbot on their site. They even came out with a totally new app and left the old one in the store so it looks like it's a different company.

As for the motion detection, you should be able to set boundaries for the motion detection so that it doesn't pick up cars passing by.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thought of that.   Will consider testing that out in a temporary configuration, before developing a permanent mount IF it works.

Still, at $260 for something less complicated than the electronics in a cell phone, it is disappointing.

$30  Chime

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30  Chime

A fair quality 4 camera system can be purchased for less.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30  Chime

Link?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have had a couple of threads about them, I have told of sending back 3 units before giving up on them.  Not ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I too just purchased.  Mounting area no problem for me, nor is traffic.  The motion sensor appears a little slow.  Curious, how were they going to speed it up?  Firmware?  Might be a solution for my only gripe so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  

How high is your sensor mounted compared to the area you are monitoring?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you want to know the kind of people you're dealing with, Google doorbot, as that is what ring was originally. They did a kickstarter for it and like usual, went past deadline, and then basically released a beta version. My doorbot has been a little finicky, but has been fairly reliable for the last 6 months or so.

When they came out with the second gen, they changed the name to ring and now have no re fences to doorbot on their site. They even came out with a totally new app and left the old one in the store so it looks like it's a different company.

As for the motion detection, you should be able to set boundaries for the motion detection so that it doesn't pick up cars passing by.
View Quote

That would be completely counter productive.  While the cars are an aggravation, the issue is that it does not seem to look downward.     It can't see people.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30  Chime

Not an issue, if this worked.

I'll certainly be paying more for cameras.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We have had a couple of threads about them, I have told of sending back 3 units before giving up on them.  Not ready for prime time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any links?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That would be completely counter productive.  While the cars are an aggravation, the issue is that it does not seem to look downward.     It can't see people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine adjusts up quite a bit, and down to level or slightly down, how friggin high is yours mounted?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mine adjusts up quite a bit, and down to level or slightly down, how friggin high is yours mounted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original post describes the situation .    The unit I have and have seen online is non adjustable.    One can remove it and remount it in some (convoluted) manner.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Well that's a waste, the previous version you can stick the Phillips bit in the back of the camera and adjust the aiming.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well that's a waste, the previous version you can stick the Phillips bit in the back of the camera and adjust the aiming.
View Quote

Agreed.   Seems like that would be a standard feature, especially for the  IR sensor.    The camera is extremely wide angle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I tested my idea that the device does not cover low angles.   I removed the device from the mount, unscrewed the top of the base so that it protrudes slightly less that .75"  and remounted the device.   It worked perfectly.    I stuck some plastic wedges behind it temporarily to make sure it is sturdy.  

Next, I will make a 6"X3" base tapering from .75" to nothing onto which I will permanently mount it.

Doorbot had a moveable camera lense.   The camera is not the issue with the ring device.    It is a super wide angle camera.    The issue has been the infra red sensor.     It does not fire downward, only left, right and straight out.  

I can tell you the customer service people are trained, like clerks or factory workers.   They are not technical wizards.   Then again, they probably are  $10-$15 hr.     Also, many companies do not want highly intelligent people who might get too creative.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

$30  Chime

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$30  Chime

I came up with a solution and will be making a permanent wood mount.    

They could copy that for $1 of plastic.    That would  radically improve the mounting for many homes in the city.    (City homes are often elevated, like country trailers.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top