Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:50:40 AM EDT
Childhood friend, who has gone way out in Left field after moving to Denver, sent me this trolling, turd-pushing, anti-feel-good, BS propaganda this morning.

Link

The start:
I don’t know which one America is more: gun happy or war hungry. Well, we know this won't be bias at all

In June 1968, Robert F. Kennedy, who was running for President of the United States, was assassinated by Sirhan Sirham. Shot multiple times while he walked through the kitchen of a hotel in California, he died a day later at the hospital and just months before he was murdered, Martin Luther King Jr. met a similar fate. Ah, an early appeal to emotion.

Since 1968, more Americans have died as a result of gun-violence than they have in all of America’s wars combined since the Revolution in the 1770s. Nicholas Kristof, writing in the New York Times, reminds us of this perverse and utterly heartbreaking fact after the slaying of two journalists on air in Virginia. Yup, a gun was the responsible entity AGAIN.

My reply

FBI crime reports disagree with those numbers if we are talking about criminal deaths (that's what really matters, right?). Even then, what matters are current numbers and trends, more so when in terms of per capita rates. For example, WWII losses as percentage of population then, versus figures now, would be even more significantly different. They omit the civil war and then apparently include numbers of deaths such as in defensive shootings, other justified homicides, and suicides (63%, seriously?). Of course there aren't any citations except for the first time period, the rest are from "similar reports." Oh ok. Dude, any site that's has more click bait ads than citations, shouldn't be thought of as academic.

Is this a known leftist-shrill site? People see a .org and think all of a sudden, they are reading some objective source.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Who needs facts when you have feels???

Let us know how this pansy responds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a guy on FB post that too, I just "liked" it knowing he knows I'm into guns.

I really wanted to post "I wouldn't care if everyone died, I still wouldn't give up my guns". But....

I don't get into arguments on that stupid site over guns anymore.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I find this thread interesting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Ford and Chevy have killed more Americans than the AK-47.

next
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]
roll out the numbers of auto deaths .......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Tell him he should immediately confiscate all guns in the US.

Of course this would start a war and screw up his statistics. Would all those deaths be attributed to "gun violence" or war?

Also, per Eric Holder's Justice Department: US Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics over an 18 year period from 1993 to 2011:

U.S. gun-related homicides DROPPED 39%

Non-fatal firearm crimes DROPPED 69%

bjs.gov
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

roll out the numbers of auto deaths .......
View Quote

and while we are at it lets see the deaths due to medical malpractice.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Since 1968, more Americans have died
as a result of gun-violence than they have in all of America’s wars
combined since the Revolution in the 1770s. Nicholas Kristof, writing in
the New York Times, reminds us of this perverse and utterly
heartbreaking fact after the slaying of two journalists on air in
Virginia.
Yup, a gun was the responsible entity AGAIN.
View Quote

Damn my defective guns.

Years of owning and cleaning and caring for them and not a single killing from any of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Nobody gives a shit about saving lives.

Thousands of people die every year in house fires because of missing or nonfunctional smoke detectors.

It would cost about $3.5B to give every single American home 10-year sealed battery detectors.  If you only needed to give them to the ~10% of homes without detectors, the cost is down to $350M.  

Prorate that over ten years, and the program would cost $35M a year, and save somewhere around 1500 lives a year, something like 40% of them children.

And all you've got to do is buy detectors and give them out at community centers.

It's cheap.  It would work.  There would be zero political opposition.

Yes, I'm aware there are some local programs to give out detectors, but the big issue is just awareness.  People don't understand how deadly fire is and how important it is that you put working shit in your house.

The media, with a tiny fraction of the air time they spend on demonizing guns, could get the message out and together with what is practically pennies in government spending, we could save a massive amount of lives.  It's ridiculously low-hanging fruit.

But we don't, and we won't, because it's not about saving lives.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Ask progressive friend how those numbers stack up to total abortions since last century.

Remind progressive friend that it was a person motivated by indoctrination to victimhood steeped in dividsive and hateful rhetoric that did the killing in VA, and ask what contribution the gun made to driving a person to this violence, and how absence of a gun would have somehow made them less hateful?

Ask what policies proposed by progressives would have prevented the shooter in VA from getting and using a gun, and why progressives support policies that have no relation to or effect on the particular problem.

realise your progressive friend may be functionally incapable of absorbing and rationally answering these questions because they may also have been indoctrinated and steept in divisive and hateful rhetoric.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Put another way:
Only Americans are badass enough to kill more Americans than all other countries combined!

Merica!! Fuck Yeah!!    
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Damn my defective guns.
Years of owning and cleaning and caring for them and not a single killing from any of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Since 1968, more Americans have died as a result of gun-violence than they have in all of America’s wars combined since the Revolution in the 1770s. Nicholas Kristof, writing in the New York Times, reminds us of this perverse and utterly heartbreaking fact after the slaying of two journalists on air in Virginia. Yup, a gun was the responsible entity AGAIN.

Damn my defective guns.

I keep waiting for the local guys standing in front of the local recruiters' offices to up and randomly start shooting people.  Strangely enough, they just pace back and forth each day and their guns don't make a sound.  Meanwhile, in the south end....hood rats are shooting themselves weekly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn my defective guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn my defective guns.

maybe you would get better results from buying more Hi-Points and Bersas

Thing is, this was sent in a group message thread, which is almost always about Sports cars, motorcycles, and women. One of the other guys is a big gun fan as well. He already laughed in support of my reply. We will see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#16]
How many people have died from collectivism?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How many people have died from collectivism?
View Quote

"but this time will be different"
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm pretty sure the number one murder weapon in the U.S. according to FBI crime stats is still bare human arms/legs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Had a guy on FB post that too, I just "liked" it knowing he knows I'm into guns.

I really wanted to post "I wouldn't care if everyone died, I still wouldn't give up my guns". But....

I don't get into arguments on that stupid site over guns anymore.

View Quote

Why would you "like" something that is directly against your own belief?  Seems like readers might take your "like" as support and validation of a lie.  

Posing questions is how you engage these people, not arguments or likes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the number one murder weapon in the U.S. according to FBI crime stats is still bare human arms/legs.
View Quote

Not even close.  Handguns win that one nearly ten to one.

That said, I take people including suicides and lawful self defense in their gun deaths stats about as seriously as people who like background checks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

They wont respond.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damn my defective guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn my defective guns.

Maybe they're like PitBulls? Only killers if they're mistreated?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They wont respond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wont respond.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#24]
In other news, approximately 262,000,000 people were killed by their own government during the 20th Century.

STATISTICS OF DEMOCIDE
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I remove anyone from my FB page that posts such stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
wait till he finds out how many people doctors have killed
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
If they would just ban the murder and attack guns and only allow protection guns...    

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#28]
dont swimming pools kill like 20x the amount of people guns do? or something like that? and usually its children.. ban da poolz !
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#29]
His reply:

" It ends with a call to support veterans with ptsd and that most of the deaths are suicides. Yes it included the civil war. (I was wrong about this, hard to read on phone in metro) These numbers comes from your employer, the govt/cdc. It's not making a case to take your guns Yukonboy03, remember I also own three of them. I didn't get any clickbait, been searching for big dick pills much lately? But it also shows the suicides being 63%(holy fuck!) while things like gang violence and crime being 32% and accidents and legal intervention (death by cop) only 1%, so this supports a more reasonable outlook of proportions. No, our biggest threat isn't militarized police, it's 6300% more the mental health issue. And if all lives matter that's where a larger focus should be. You sure you getting your dick wet enough these days or are you really that flighty and fighty that you can't have logical discussions and we should just resort to fun personal attacks? Remember, it's not me you have to con!
vince, I already own and like guns but it does no one any favors to not understand the bigger picture of what's really going on."

Ignoring the apparent insults... the article is all about helping veteran suicides? Or is it about blaming firearms for their deaths, and so the solution is to address mental health by attempting to remove ONE "means" to commit suicide? It seems the author is suffering from an point crisis if my friend is attempting to claim both. Wonder why the author chose to break up the numbers into date ranges rather than a complete trend line.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#30]
cars and drinking driving and abortion killed more.... 30 million kids where aborted
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
His reply:

" It ends with a call to support veterans with ptsd and that most of the deaths are suicides. Yes it included the civil war. (I was wrong about this, hard to read on phone in metro) These numbers comes from your employer, the govt/cdc. It's not making a case to take your guns Yukonboy03, remember I also own three of them. I didn't get any clickbait, been searching for big dick pills much lately? But it also shows the suicides being 63%(holy fuck!) while things like gang violence and crime being 32% and accidents and legal intervention (death by cop) only 1%, so this supports a more reasonable outlook of proportions. No, our biggest threat isn't militarized police, it's 6300% more the mental health issue. And if all lives matter that's where a larger focus should be. You sure you getting your dick wet enough these days or are you really that flighty and fighty that you can't have logical discussions and we should just resort to fun personal attacks? Remember, it's not me you have to con!
vince, I already own and like guns but it does no one any favors to not understand the bigger picture of what's really going on."

Ignoring the apparent insults... the article is all about helping veteran suicides? Or is it about blaming firearms for their deaths, and so the solution is to address mental health by attempting to remove ONE "means" to commit suicide? It seems the author is suffering from an point crisis if my friend is attempting to claim both. Wonder why the author chose to break up the numbers into date ranges rather than a complete trend line.
View Quote

Ask him to turn his in and you'll turn yours in, tell him to lead by example.

When he turns his in, then laugh at him and say thanks for his effort.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#32]
He is just playing with the facts. Just turn it around.

More doctors have killed people than all ameicans in war.
More cars have killed people than all Americans in war.
More baby cribs have killed people than all assault rifles in america.

Just a few facts i remember.

Also ask him if the stats include suicide and justified homicide.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

dont swimming pools kill like 20x the amount of people guns do? or something like that? and usually its children.. ban da poolz !
View Quote

No, drownings average under 4,000 a year, including ponds, lakes, oceans, and bathtubs.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Thousands of people die every year in house fires because of missing or nonfunctional smoke detectors.

It would cost about $3.5B to give every single American home 10-year sealed battery detectors.  If you only needed to give them to the ~10% of homes without detectors, the cost is down to $350M.  

Prorate that over ten years, and the program would cost $35M a year, and save somewhere around 1500 lives a year, something like 40% of them children.

And all you've got to do is buy detectors and give them out at community centers.

Yes, I'm aware there are some local programs to give out detectors, but the big issue is just awareness.  People don't understand how deadly fire is and how important it is that you put working shit in your house.

The media, with a tiny fraction of the air time they spend on demonizing guns, could get the message out and together with what is practically pennies in government spending, we could save a massive amount of lives.  It's ridiculously low-hanging fruit.

View Quote
With your permission I'm gonna fact check this and use it if everything pans out please.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#35]
japan 33 thousand people kill them self each year  WITH OUT A GUN!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

cars and drinking driving and abortion killed more.... 30 million kids where aborted
View Quote

Some say that # is 60 million

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Ask her why she's not spending her time focused on the real killers.

She obviously doesn't value life very much if she's going after something that is a small percentage of deaths.

Heart disease: 611,105

Cancer: 584,881

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978

Alzheimer's disease: 84,767

Diabetes: 75,578

Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Ask him how many people have died at the hands of physicians or vehicle accidents or cigarettes or alcohol.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I have this guy on facebook that was a medic on a deployment I was on. He's now a DJ and mixes music. lol He is always posting leftish BS. He posted this meme that said "One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all take off our shoes at the airport. 31 school shootings since Columbine and no change in our regulation of guns."

The comments went like this:

Charlie: Getting your shoes "checked" to put them back on is not the same thing as removing guns from society. Maybe we should invest time into those who have guns and make harsher regulations. If guns are banned I think that it will be the same as when alcohol was banned. What can it really accomplish?

Liberal Medic: that's not the metaphor. The metaphor is if we have to get our shoes checked before we get on a plane, we should have to get our backgrounds checked before we can get a gun.

Charlie: I'd agree with that

Kim: It definitely says regulation in the quote and nothing about banning

Charlie: I was expressing a general opinion and not just what the picture says

Me: We already have to get background checks when we buy a gun from a firearms dealer. Seriously, people don't know that?

Liberal Medic: Not true at gun shows. Don't people know that?

Me: Wrong. To get a table at a gun show to sell firearms you have to be a FFL. You still have to fill out a 4473 and go through a NICS background check to buy a gun at a gun show. You really should educate yourself before making arguments based on myths. (the people that host the gun shows I've been to required people that rented a table to sell guns to have an FFL.)

Me: Liberals have twisted the facts. Individuals like myself can sell my gun (private property) to another individual without doing a background check. Some people will bring their gun to a gun show in the hopes of selling it, knowing there are people there looking to buy a gun. This is the mysterious and fictitious loophole you guys are always talking about. There is no loophole.

A few days go by with no reply...

Me: It's always the same. People that talk about loophole and gun control almost always know nothing about the law, process or firearms in general. I really didn't expect me correcting you to end the conversation.

They all just abandoned the thread and never came back. lol
View Quote

Well normal people use a LITTLE pin to deflate their balloons. You on the other hand, weren't satisfied with anything less than an ICBM to deflate his rant. You're a bad person.

Ok. I think this is 2000 or 2002 posts in almost 10 years. I am going back to hibernating. See you all in a while!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
People who want to ban guns are pathetic and cowardly wastes of skin who would put the safety of their family entirely in the hands of an inept and corrupt government.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#43]
i want to see the numbers with out suicides

I'll even let them have the accidentals.

also i would like to see what they are qualifying as because of guns(kind of like how the Boston bomber had his name read for a vigil for gun violence.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
With your permission I'm gonna fact check this and use it if everything pans out please.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start at NIST and CDC.  

A single 10-year sealed detector costs about $30.  Houses should have one on each floor, though most unprotected dwellings are single level trailers and similar structures.  The vast majority of unprotected dwellings would only need one detector, though you can assume two if you like.

Most local fire departments have programs to provide detectors either at a significant discount vs. a hardware store, or even outright for free.  It's not necessarily that the funding isn't there, but there's a general lack of awareness about fire safety, especially in poor communities, and a whole lot of people either have detectors with dead batteries or they've intentionally disabled the devices (such as in order to smoke drugs without it going off).  Alcohol and drugs are causative or compounding factors in a lot of fire deaths in general, but missing or nonfunctional detectors are the easiest/cheapest preventable compounding factor.

If you were going to do it, the angle to use is that if the media were really interested in saving lives, they'd be using their influence to spread awareness for stuff like this.  Also seat belt use, properly selecting and using a car seat, cooking and grill safety, pool safety, etc.

But smoke detectors are so cheap and so easy, that it's ridiculous we still have this problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i want to see the numbers with out suicides

I'll even let them have the accidentals.

also i would like to see what they are qualifying as because of guns(kind of like how the Boston bomber had his name read for a vigil for gun violence.)
View Quote

I think it's 2013 but knock yourself out.  
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf

Hell, do some searching,  boating deaths in the US every year are three times the deaths with rifles.  I think choking kills more kids(comparing same age range and excluding 25 year old teens.  ) than guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If they would just ban the murder and attack guns and only allow protection guns...    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcUOwnfAsE  
View Quote

I'm gonna go ahead and guess she is the vote that cancels out yours.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Think I have my reply shaped up.

How bad would it be if I alluded to your opinion being due to your sad personal sex life or that you must be searching for big dick pills (and yes, "See the Most Unrecognizable Celebs After Plastic Surgery!" and "Admit it, you can't resist a video of a good car crash!" are click-bait videos - I didn't see a single sexual one). Conceptually, I couldn't imagine a friend saying those sort of things. (make him feel like a bad friend)

This message chain is fun when it is about fun things. Posting things with political bias that you know is trolling others isn't one of them. (Others will agree)

Yes, I was wrong about the Civil War being included, kind of hard to read with the shitty mobile page on the metro. (admit wrong to show flexibility in exchange)

The article is still twisted though. Its direction is not coherent - this article is an interesting comparison of deaths from war to those of violent crime? No, wait it's not all really violent crime, only 33% of that total is (but total for what date range? because that isn't specified when he makes that distinction), or is it about helping reduce suicides or... just veteran suicides... or is it about saying preventing access of firearms from those who are suicidal will be the remedy for this epidemic (ignoring the fact that approximately 33,000 Japanese, with a significantly smaller population, commit suicide each year without guns). (fact attack)

It seems the author is suffering from a narrative crisis if the point of the article is supposed to be all of those.

And who cares about suicide as long as it remains a personal decision and they only take themselves? Is it for society to prevent? Everyone supports assisted suicide when people are in bad physical health, but a double standard arises for mental health? The overwhelming majority of these aren't your psychopaths; being depressed and suicidal doesn't make you a crazy person. Suicide is a tragedy, but guns aren't the issue there; a psychiatrist wouldn't say "job is done" if they made sure a suicidal veteran didn't have access to one. Legislation of any kind won't stop suicide. But still, the author suggests that these deaths will be reduced if we attempt to remove this ONE "means" to commit suicide... I didn't hear anything about the lack of funding or resources for PTSD or depression, just that "a result of gun-violence" (we never hear any other violence qualified with the tool like that, right? "knife violence") and our "crazy, violent gun culture" are the culprits.
(prove author is political and not truly sympathetic)

Sadly, most people are only concerned with gun-related homicides or crimes, when someone besides the shooter is a victim. Inconveniently, the FBI shows that from 1993 to 2011, U.S. gun-related homicides dropped 39% and Non-fatal firearm crimes dropped 69%). (double fact attack!)

If anyone looked at the murders in VA or the executed officer in Houston and thought, those fucking Glocks did this, they are in need of a total frontal lobotomy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Libturd friend should go to gangsta infested areas and start making peace there.  He can disarm the yutes first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#50]
In Detroit, DC, and Chicago?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top