Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:17 AM EDT
What's an acceptable amount of travel for a job, 30% 90% how much?

and vets I don't mean being deployed
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I talk to a lot of business travellers and there are a lot who are on the road 5 days a week.

Better be compensated for the impending divorce...

TC
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Sales - 100%, anything else 20%.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Slightly off topic, but unless your employer is reimbursing you about 60 cents a mile for use of your own car, you are losing money hand over fist.

If you are in sales, you might have to suck it up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I talk to a lot of business travellers and there are a lot who are on the road 5 days a week.

TC
View Quote

That's kind of what I was thinking, besides the physical demands.

I was offered a pretty good paying job, but found out I would be traveling 50% of the time
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably depends on the occupation.

Personally, I wouldn't take more than 10%-15% before looking for something else. Family is too important to me.

Fortunately, I'm a computer programmer, so most of my time is spent at a desk or can be accomplished remotely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the job. Some travel constantly, some never leave their cubicle. You should have some idea going into a job how much travel is required.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
My daily to the office commute is about 100 miles one way and I drive to appointments most days after that.... Or sometimes sit in the office.

With traffic it can be 2-2.5 hours each way...

But my residence is paid for in full so it's cheaper than renting some apartment closer. Plus I have a company vehicle with free gas so that helps.

I have had jobs where I travelled out of town every other week.

To be fair I get paid really really well and like traveling.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Eh...my job used to travel about 50% of the time (just had some major cuts...paycuts looming...looking for new job...)

It's not bad. Build up some good travel perks that you can use with your family.

ETA: We'd travel for 1-3 weeks at a time and be home for a couple months usually...

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TC
View Quote

I did it for 12 years when I was not married, it did take a toll on relationships with girlfriends.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#10]
99.9% of my work involves flying somewhere. The only work I do at home is filling out security check forms, getting drug tests and eye exams.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I spent 27 years driving less than 2 miles.  Probably not a good person to poll. Lol.

Edit, wonder why I had to replace the mufflers so often.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I have to be on the road billing a minimum of 75% a year to meet my salary. It stopped being fun a while ago ...

I'm trying to work into a spot where I just work out of the house, but we shall have to see how that pans out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Married?  Kids?  Home to keep up?  

All expenses paid?  1st class air?  Rental car larger than a Chevy Spark?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
it really does depend on what you signed up for.

if I signed up for a job that said 10 percent travel and they put me on a plane every week, I would be upset.

if I signed up for 100 percent travel and they put me at a desk all week, I would be upset there too.

in my 20's. 100 percent would have been fine. in my 40's, 1 time every 3 to 5 years is too much for me. but low enough I will put up with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Totally depends on where I am traveling ans how good the pay is.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Depends on the $$$$$$$
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sales - 100%, anything else 20%.

View Quote

Construction - up to 90%, depends on the project and how the industry is doing.

Right now I'm home every night but I'm commuting 250+ miles a day round trip. Per diem kicks ass though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was offered a pretty good paying job, but found out I would be traveling 50% of the time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

That would be awesome.   I have had years where outside of vacation I was on the road the entire time.  (This eventually led to my current job where I work from home 100% of the time but when this ends I will likely be back on the road.)  

Whatever it takes to feed your family.

Fwiw, it's about the only way I know American IT Professionals can trounce Indians/Chinese in the job market.  The last thing a company wants is a guy showing up in their lobby to show them how to do something who has a limited command of English and who can't make quick friends based on common experiences during their stay.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Percent of what?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Percent of what?

View Quote

Time
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Don't like the travel time, don't take the job.

There is no magic 'acceptable' amount of travel time rule or guideline.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Percent of what?

Time

Oh.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, nope, and nope.

Good salary plus full benefits and per diem.

It's mainly the health issues that might come with that much travel. Have a GF which is another reason, but that's second to my own health right now
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I once took a job that said "up to 25% travel."

What they didn't say, was that it'd be all at once. 3 month span to decommission, turnaround, and startup of our sister chemical plant out of state.

Every year.

Bastards.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I love travelling for work.  As long as work pays for everything.

I had a job where I traveled 60%.  I had two locations in SoCal, one in Memphis, one in ND and one in OK.  

I also traveled for training at the same time.

It was quite a bit more fun when I was single, but in the middle of that I got into a relationship.  We still made it work, scheduling just became more important.

I did quite a bit of site seeing and such while travelling.  I sometimes had to stay at a site over a weekend.  Weekends were mine.  Company paid for hotel and car, but meals were my own responsibility.  While in CA I would go fishing with a buddy who lived there and had a boat, or tour local sites.

While in Memphis I toured Civil War battlefields and historical places.

OK was too small to stay over on weekends, but the town the site was in had an amazing Air and Space museum.  I volunteered there just to get access.

ND was, well, ND.  I usually drove there and headed home as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Guess it all depends on frequency and type of travel.

Sometimes I'm TDY every other week, sometimes I'll go a month or two without going anywhere. I made Hilton Diamond this month. . I'd say in a 3 month span for me it's anywhere from 20-50%

I make about an extra ~500 bucks a week when I'm gone + airline and hotel points. Staying in hotels with lunch & dinner included, not having to pay for gas or just about anything else also saves plenty.  If I didnt get those, then no way in hell would my travel be worth it.

If I had a family or kids, F no. Way too much travel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nope, nope, and nope.

It's mainly the health issues that might come with that much travel. Have a GF which is another reason, but that's second to my own health right now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, nope, and nope.

Fuck it, go for it and try it. It would be fun for a while since you're not tied down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I almost took a job, until I read the fine print and noticed that 75% of the time for the first three years would be spent OCONUS. Too much.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TC

Is it 50% of the working year or 50% of the year. They are two big differences ... Usually when a job for a road man asks for XX% travel it is referencing the working year, which is considerably less then the actual year its self.

Traveling for work is fairly different for a lot of groups as well. The people who are talking about their Hilton Diamond membership or IHG Platinum membership, probably are also not the same that are scraping but on a per diem only situation. In my experience the people who I work around who are straight per diem are usually the people staying in the Super 8 for the majority of their jobs.

If it was a straight per diem situation depending on where you will be working I would want no less then an average of $200 per day per diem to cover food and living expenses to even come close to averaging out staying in a Hampton Inn / Holiday Inn Express type property and eating out for two of your meals. If you are good with staying in the Comfort Inn / Super 8 style hotels that is okay, but just go into the situation fully aware one guys version of being on the road vs. another is vastly different.

For my situation my work pays for everything from my airline ticket, car, food, and required misc. stuff for work. I get paid to travel, over time, and I am still paid when I am at the house doing paper work. Nail down every bit of information about your prospective offer upfront in regard to what they will pay for and what they won't pay for.

ETA: We have had guys quit in as short as 1 to 2 weeks and guys in the job going on 40 years ..., so there is really no judging how someone will like the road. My humble opinion if you are a guy who likes to go to the bar after work your time on the road is going to be throwing a lot of money away and will eventually end poorly, (figuratively and literally).
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Is it 50% of the working year or 50% of the year. They are two big differences ... Usually when a job for a road man asks for XX% travel it is referencing the working year, which is considerably less then the actual year its self.

Traveling for work is fairly different for a lot of groups as well. The people who are talking about their Hilton Diamond membership or IHG Platinum membership, probably are also not the same that are scraping but on a per diem only situation. In my experience the people who I work around who are straight per diem are usually the people staying in the Super 8 for the majority of their jobs.

If it was a straight per diem situation depending on where you will be working I would want no less then an average of $200 per day per diem to cover food and living expenses to even come close to averaging out staying in a Hampton Inn / Holiday Inn Express type property and eating out for two of your meals. If you are good with staying in the Comfort Inn / Super 8 style hotels that is okay, but just go into the situation fully aware one guys version of being on the road vs. another is vastly different.

For my situation my work pays for everything from my airline ticket, car, food, and required misc. stuff for work. I get paid to travel, over time, and I am still paid when I am at the house doing paper work. Nail down every bit of information about your prospective offer upfront in regard to what they will pay for and what they won't pay for.

ETA: We have had guys quit in as short as 1 to 2 weeks and guys in the job going on 40 years ..., so there is really no judging how someone will like the road. My humble opinion if you are a guy who likes to go to the bar after work your time on the road is going to be throwing a lot of money away and will eventually end poorly, (figuratively and literally).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

50% of the year. 4 days out  and 2 in the office, 3 out and 4 in the office, etc. Just whatever would be needed pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
50% of the year. 4 days out  and 2 in the office, 3 out and 4 in the office, etc. Just whatever would be needed pretty much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TC

What is the job doing?

I wouldn't be doing a traveling job myself if my time at home included being in the office. I have some coworkers who are willing to do it, but I am not one of them. I would be very careful with "whatever would be needed" because that can turn into a lot more then 50%. I was hired at 75% of the working year for billing, last year I worked over 130% ... Great for over time, great for billing, but not so great for the home life.

Also, the guys talking about points and such as a great bonus in general I could give a fuck less about them because I am not looking to travel the little bit I am home. Are they nice to have on the once and awhile you use them? Sure, but they aren't an insane extra perk to me. The status to me is a better perk then the points because I would rather being going to the executive aisle and riding in first class when I am traveling for work. You can cash them out to buy stuff, but the ratio is not that great with most of the programs. If you take a lot of vacations then I guess it is a great deal ...

Will you be flying or driving to jobs?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I probably travel 20% but that 20% is one long trip. I think last year I had one trip for 3 days. This year, since mid May I've only been home for a total of two weeks.

Generally I enjoy the travel, but right now I'm falling behind on some house stuff, trying to deal with some health issues, and trying to get a few things worked out for my fall elk hunt... And it's a royal pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Now traveling for the day and back home at night is one thing, overnight for multiple days is another.

I usually travel someplace for my job once in while and if we open a new location that travel time will increase. So right now im good with less than 20% of my time spent traveling.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What is the job doing?

I wouldn't be doing a traveling job myself if my time at home included being in the office. I have some coworkers who are willing to do it, but I am not one of them. I would be very careful with "whatever would be needed" because that can turn into a lot more then 50%. I was hired at 75% of the working year for billing, last year I worked over 130% ... Great for over time, great for billing, but not so great for the home life.

Also, the guys talking about points and such as a great bonus in general I could give a fuck less about them because I am not looking to travel the little bit I am home. Are they nice to have on the once and awhile you use them? Sure, but they aren't an insane extra perk to me. The status to me is a better perk then the points because I would rather being going to the executive aisle and riding in first class when I am traveling for work. You can cash them out to buy stuff, but the ratio is not that great with most of the programs. If you take a lot of vacations then I guess it is a great deal ...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

What is the job doing?

Logistical specialist and driving.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I traveled internationally for a large part of my career.  It isn't for everyone.  

Fact is there is no good answer for OP's question.  Many people that travel just one time per year are traumatized.  They just aren't cut out for it.  

Family ties play a huge part in what you can tolerate.  

I will say that when I stopped traveling, it was amazing at the amount of shit I could get done with hobbies.  I still did a remodel and built a couple hot rods while traveling, but the time line was really strung out.  I still managed to get more done in my short time at home than many lazy fucks who didn't travel and rode the couch every single weekend.  

Only the individual can determine how much travel they can tolerate.  If things are going bad at home, it is amazing the amount of time you can spend in the field, and also how many trips you can magically extend to stay in the field.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the job doing?

If you are driving your own vehicle make sure it is enough to account for all of the wear and tear. If you are renting then make sure they cover the cost. If it is a company vehicle look at how it is setup because it is a potential tax liability.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Depends on the job for me. Some shows travel every week, some don't at all. But I know about the travel times before taking the job.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Last time I added it up, I spent ~200 days a year out of town. Works for me, but its definitely not for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#41]
My job means I travel to do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Monday - Thursday I'm at a job site somewhere. I'm home Thursday night and Friday I pretty much decide if I want to work it or not.

I like the travel it doesn't really bother me at all. I'm on Per Diem as well, so I get to keep what I don't spend for hotel and food. I had enough hotel points to stay two 4 night stays in 2 weeks free at my hotel. So, that paid for my AR10 I built.

Seriously considering getting a travel trailer and parking it near my job sites.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Depends on the money. I know someone that works around 6 months a years, makes about 5 times what I make. When they are home they don't have to work, I could see myself doing that if the opportunity was giving.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What is the job doing?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

What is the job doing?

On per diem when I get enough hotel nights I'll use my points and basically stay for free while getting per diem. Easy way to turn points into cash.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#45]
It depends on where and for how much!  But seeing as I'm single, ROAD WARRIOR, BITCH!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#46]

I've been home at my house maybe 5-6 months out of the past 6 years. My work entails being in in area for extended periods of time.

Most of my time away from home is in my RV/Office, however the past couple of years, my clients have put me up in furnished apartments. Personally, I'd rather stay in my RV, but I have to defer to what the Client wants.

My job mandates that I go where the work is and I'm good with that. In the past several years I've spent extended periods in Ft Worth, San Antonio, Ardmore,Oklahoma, Midland, Texas and Lafayette, Louisiana. I get to experience all the cool things peculiar to those towns and I enjoy it immensely.

It helps that I'm single. I know guys who have issues with their marriages being away from home so much.

People think it's crazy the money we make, but not everybody is willing to be away from home this much and if it was easy....they'd have monkeys doing it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I knew a guy who traveled 100% of the time. He lived in hotels and kept his few belongings at his parents house. He did that for years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It depends on the person.  Some people like traveling, some hate it, most are in between.  It also depends on the travel itself.  Some travel around the world to mostly decent places, others drive around the midwest in a car to middle of nowhere places.  

Are you married?  Have kids?  Pets?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My daily to the office commute is about 100 miles one way and I drive to appointments most days after that.... Or sometimes sit in the office.

With traffic it can be 2-2.5 hours each way...

But my residence is paid for in full so it's cheaper than renting some apartment closer. Plus I have a company vehicle with free gas so that helps.

I have had jobs where I travelled out of town every other week.

To be fair I get paid really really well and like traveling.

View Quote

The portion going too and from work is taxable income according to the IRS, but yeah having a company car is nice perk.  I have a Jetta TDi this time around.

I have spent 2-4 weeks out of the country the last few years and maybe a week or two in the US.  Fortunately, I can leave my dogs at my dad's house, it's kind of their second home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
On per diem when I get enough hotel nights I'll use my points and basically stay for free while getting per diem. Easy way to turn points into cash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah that seems like it would be a good way to do it and better turn around money wise. The Diamond desk sometimes has really good point rates vs. the website if you use Hilton. They are many times more helpful then the schmucks at IHG, I've pretty much started to avoid their branding due to their lack of helpfulness.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top