Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:13 AM EDT
Yes, that includes leap days.   26 years, 17 days of wearing USAF blue.  

I came on active duty on the 14th of August, 1989.

Since then, I’ve had 25 different jobs at 15 different locations, only three of which were both above ground AND had windows.

I've served under 12 USAF Chief of Staffs, 9 Secretaries of Defense, and five presidents, with my commission signed by a sixth (All Hail Renaldus Magnus!).

I’ve done 27 promotions, nine reenlistments, 31 commissionings, one retirement, and one court martial (not mine),

I've spent 279 days on nuclear alert, 300-ish days on space operations crew, 357 days deployed to  Afghanistan, and served a three-year sentence at the Pentagon with no time off for good behavior.

I’ve been a crew commander, flight commander, detachment commander, instructor, evaluator, educator, staff officer, operations officer, and snack bar officer.

In my time in the Air Force, I’ve learned that at 30 below, a boiling hot cup of coffee thrown in the air will freeze before it hits the ground, I’ve had lunch with the Afghan Army Chief of the General Staff, I’ve visited some of the biggest nuclear weapons facilities in the country, I’ve had to figure out the best way to get a dead cow out of a sewage lagoon, and I spent one really fun Christmas Eve answering the phones for the annual NORAD Tracks Santa event, earning the undying gratitude of parents by telling their kids they had to go to bed RIGHT NOW or he’d pass them by.

And I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Except for the Pentagon tour.

The really funny thing is I never planned on making it a career—it just happened that every time I was wondering what the next step was, the Air Force promoted me and sent us off to another cool assignment in a great place that made it worth sticking around.  So, here I am, a quarter century later, a lot more grey hair and a lot lower PT test scores than when I started, but MAN, was it a fun ride.  

Anyway, I’ve had a great run, but it’s time for someone else to sign for the alert.  

Limaxray, Lt Col, USAF, and as of today, (Ret).
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a lot of days. Congrats and thanks for your service.

Enjoy retirement.

You spent more time in the military than I've been alive
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations on your retirement,Sir!!! enjoy it!! you've earned it!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Enjoy your retirement, and thank you for your service!!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for your service, and enjoy your well earned retirement
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats. Treat yourself to something nice.

Felt strange to me, at first, when I retired but I got in the civ groove pretty quick.  A buddy just retired lat year at 30 and took a year off to decompress.  He's just now getting back in the game, but on his own terms.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations and thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for your service, and enjoy your well earned retirement
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Felt strange to me, at first, when I retired but I got in the civ groove pretty quick.  A buddy just retired lat year at 30 and took a year off to decompress.  He's just now getting back in the game, but on his own terms.
View Quote

Funny story, that "civilian groove" thing.  No idea what you're talking about.    

I took six weeks off during terminal leave, did the whole beard and no haircut thing.  Hung around the house and harassed the wife.  

Three weeks ago I shaved it all off, put my blues back on, and went back to work...as an AFJROTC instructor.

So not only am I still doing the USAF thing, I had my first day of high school....again.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Congratulations and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I took six weeks off during terminal leave, did the whole beard and no haircut thing.  Hung around the house and harassed the wife.  

Three weeks ago I shaved it all off, put my blues back on, and went back to work...as an AFJROTC instructor.

So not only am I still doing the USAF thing, I had my first day of high school....again.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still wearing a uniform and having to put up with kids? That doesn't sound like retirement
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for your service sir, and for not dropping that nuke
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:25:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for your service. I was born at Vandenberg AFB while my Father was working on Minuteman in the early '60s.
My dad also retired as a Lt. Col.
Stickers on my dad's shooting box.

Untitled by John, on Flickr

Untitled by John, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]
26 yrs, 17 days, you retire and immediately get a job in the uniform again?

Lifer

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on your retirement!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you for your service. Enjoy your retirement.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Congratulations on a great career and thanks for your service! Enjoy your new life...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Thank you for your service, Sir!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#22]
The wife's uncle is a retired army lt. Col. And he is doing the same for a jrotc in Cheyenne.  

Congrats, Sir.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Like others have already said, congrats and thank you for serving your country
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Congratulations to you.  Rest easy and enjoy yourself, sounds like you earned it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Congratulations on your retirement, sir.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Congratulations sir!  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for your service and congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Congrats and thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Congrats, sounds impressive to me.

When I retire, it's going to be a story of how many different cubicles I had...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Congrats and thank you!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Congrats Colonel! That's a life well-lived.  Now enjoy retirement.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Wait what-  that wasn't really Santa being tracked???

JK- thank you for your service, Sir!  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you. That sounds like a wild ride.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Congrats!

Now I've got to hear why that pentagon tour was so awful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Makes My '82-'86 of Flight Line slavery seem pretty puny!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Thank you!

What's the plan now?

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Congrats brother. Enjoy the retirement.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Congrats man. Retirement is weird but very nice
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you for your service!

Are you planning on getting a civilian job, or is it a real retirement?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#47]
thank you for your service
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for your service ..
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:15:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Congratulations. Can you tell us about living underground and what that was like?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yes, that includes leap days.   26 years, 17 days of wearing USAF blue.  

I came on active duty on the 14th of August, 1989.

Since then, I’ve had 25 different jobs at 15 different locations, only three of which were both above ground AND had windows.

I've served under 12 USAF Chief of Staffs, 9 Secretaries of Defense, and five presidents, with my commission signed by a sixth (All Hail Renaldus Magnus!).

I’ve done 27 promotions, nine reenlistments, 31 commissionings, one retirement, and one court martial (not mine),

I've spent 279 days on nuclear alert, 300-ish days on space operations crew, 357 days deployed to  Afghanistan, and served a three-year sentence at the Pentagon with no time off for good behavior.

I’ve been a crew commander, flight commander, detachment commander, instructor, evaluator, educator, staff officer, operations officer, and snack bar officer.

In my time in the Air Force, I’ve learned that at 30 below, a boiling hot cup of coffee thrown in the air will freeze before it hits the ground, I’ve had lunch with the Afghan Army Chief of the General Staff, I’ve visited some of the biggest nuclear weapons facilities in the country, I’ve had to figure out the best way to get a dead cow out of a sewage lagoon, and I spent one really fun Christmas Eve answering the phones for the annual NORAD Tracks Santa event, earning the undying gratitude of parents by telling their kids they had to go to bed RIGHT NOW or he’d pass them by.

The really funny thing is I never planned on making it a career—it just happened that every time I was wondering what the next step was, the Air Force promoted me and sent us off to another cool assignment in a great place that made it worth sticking around.  So, here I am, a quarter century later, a lot more grey hair and a lot lower PT test scores than when I started, but MAN, was it a fun ride.  

Anyway, I’ve had a great run, but it’s time for someone else to sign for the alert.  

Limaxray, Lt Col, USAF, and as of today, (Ret).
View Quote
Nice piece of change coming to you once a month... all the occifer haters saying enlisted is the way to go are full of it...O-5, 26 years Ka friggn CHING!!!! E-5, 26 years starving.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top