Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 2:40:50 AM EDT
I was looking at guns and I came across the Walther PPX 9mm for $279.89.  

Wait, what!  A Walther for $279.89!  

Kind of ugly, a little blocky, but the reviews are all good.  Every review I read said the trigger is second to none.
What says the hive?

walther ppx
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:52:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The trigger is really nice.  I've only dry fired it.  It's probably a fantastic gun as long as you never look at it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Hands down the best deal on a quality 9mm going.
I have no issues with the looks, I realized years ago that this hobby is not a fashion show. It's a Walther for fucks sake. Do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a darn good deal.

Mags a 20 bux too.

I'd buy if Iwas in the market.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
i got one, and i like it... like the ppq as well... i think they are on the same site for 450...

eta - wideners has the ppq for 450 and ppx w/ threaded bbl for 295.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i got one, and i like it... like the ppq as well... i think they are on the same site for 450...

eta - wideners has the ppq for 450 and ppx w/ threaded bbl for 295.
View Quote

Wideners also has the PPX for like $265 or thereabouts. Great gun for the money, DAO but a very short, light pull. I'd pick one up for s&g if they were still running their rebate.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot one, belonging to a friend. Great, low recoiling gun. The trigger was smooth but I didn't like the reset.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Take a look at one in person before you buy one online.  Verify that you do, in fact, want a gun the size of Rhode Island.  Then if you do you can't go wrong at that price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a bag of dicks but sure feels a lot better than it looks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Just remember it's not rated for +P ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you have personal experience handling bags of dicks?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like a high point
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:14:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Did they produce them to make the PPQ look really good, like good looking chicks have an ugly/average looking friend?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did you get that idea?

From the PPX Owner's Manual;

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with
standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPX pistol
or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
frequent service.
“Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms."

This is the same language used in the PPQ Owner's Manual as well. Pretty much the same language you find from most manufacturers including S&W.

I have shot a couple full  mags of 124grGD+P through my PPX. It functions fine. Not something I would use for a regular range practice but fine for my carry load.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The PPX is awesome.  It's not as ugly in person, either

Do it
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#16]
HERE is my humble review of the PPX in the ar15.com HANDGUNS forum. I now have well over a thousand flawless rounds through mine. It is a steal at <$300.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I think it's one of the best deals going these days. I have one, and have been tempted to buy another one, just because they're so cheap. Really an excellent gun. They fit so much better in the hand than what you would think by looking at them. Hickok45 has a good review of them on YouTube if you want to look it up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did they produce them to make the PPQ look really good, like good looking chicks have an ugly/average looking friend?  
View Quote

PPX = the DUFF of Walthers
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Great gun. Love mine. I will buy another with a threaded barrel. The grip really fits my hand nicely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Read the review and took note of the MIM barrel. Sorry that is just not something you MIM even if it is just the breech.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the threaded version of been very happy with it. Suppresses nicely, and the trigger is pretty outstanding for "out the box". Build quality is good, though not sure of the mim parts. The magazine floorplate Bows slightly when fully loaded. CDNN and walther were running a deal when I bought mine where you got a free magazine, holster, and mag carrier. For $299 for the threaded version, it was a pretty sweet deal. If I remember correctly, Walter sent me a second magazine for free as well. I'll probably buy a second one for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No hablo ingles

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hands down the best deal on a quality 9mm going.
I have no issues with the looks, I realized years ago that this hobby is not a fashion show. It's a Walther for fucks sake. Do it.
View Quote

Nope.  That distinction belongs to the B6P.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think it's one of the best deals going these days. I have one, and have been tempted to buy another one, just because they're so cheap. Really an excellent gun. They fit so much better in the hand than what you would think by looking at them. Hickok45 has a good review of them on YouTube if you want to look it up.
View Quote

Hickok45's is one of the many reviews I watched/read
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with
standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPX pistol
or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more
frequent service.

This is the same language used in the PPQ Owner's Manual as well. Pretty much the same language you find from most manufacturers including S&W.

I have shot a couple full  mags of 124grGD+P through my PPX. It functions fine. Not something I would use for a regular range practice but fine for my carry load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

frequent service.

This was attributed to +P after a few hundred rounds:

European guns are rated for lower pressure specs. Some of the NATO 9MM ball ammo is already considered +P by European standards. Shooting +P will have a negative impact on a gun, like the PPX, which cut corners a lot more than a PPQ has in terms of overall build quality. Sorry. I'm a big Walther guy. Have a few myself. But the PPX is nothing more than a range toy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it just me or does it look like a hi point
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5759/21066654441_2405afcd3c_o.jpg

European guns are rated for lower pressure specs. Some of the NATO 9MM ball ammo is already considered +P by European standards. Shooting +P will have a negative impact on a gun, like the PPX, which cut corners a lot more than a PPQ has in terms of overall build quality. Sorry. I'm a big Walther guy. Have a few myself. But the PPX is nothing more than a range toy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with

or exceed the margin of safety. Use of "Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more

frequent service.

"Plus-P-Plus” (+P+) ammunition must not be used in WALTHER firearms."

Wow, Ka-BOOM! That sucks.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#28]
For just a few more dollars, I think the Canik TP9SA is a better value.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]
The PPX is unique (as far as I know) because it acheives a certain amount of cost savings by using a barrel/breech block that’s partially made out of MIM parts. You can see in the three accompanying photos (above and below) that the barrel is not a one-piece design like a GLOCK’s. Rather, the locking mechanism consists of at least three separate parts.  It’s hard to tell if the barrel itself is pressed into the breach block, similar to the way that Steyr press fits the barrels on the SSG-69, or if another process is used. However it’s done, the feed ramp is added (welded?) on later.
View Quote

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/06/joe-grine/gun-review-walther-ppx/
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Best DAO trigger out there... very, very sweet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have that one as well. I will put a Canik TP9SA against a VP9 any day of the week. They are built exceptionally well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed, but you can't get one with a threaded barrel.

Quoted:

Its actually thinner than a PPQ.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Great gun, recoil is a little snappy
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great gun, recoil is a little snappy
View Quote

Snappy to me is my P64 which I'm pretty sure will break my wrist if I look at it wrong, but I don't think its snappy. To me, it feels like less recoil than my Shield in retrospect. I'll have to consciously compare it next time I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can take the TP9SA barrel, put it in the TP9V2, have it threaded, and even transfer the TP9SA trigger in the V2, if you choose to do so.

Still, everything would cost you $600, lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

frequent service.

I can't believe that was caused just by firing +P ammo. Maybe +P+ , but more likely a overcharged case or squib.

...and European 9mm is usually NATO spec which is closer to +P, so it makes no sense for their guns to be rated for lower pressure.

Plus that picture is of a .40S&W not 9mm.  

Now looking at the PPX design, I'm not sure I'd trust that with much +P rated ammo.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can't believe that was caused just by firing +P ammo. Maybe +P+ , but more likely a overcharged case or squib.

...and European 9mm is usually NATO spec which is closer to +P, so it makes no sense for their guns to be rated for lower pressure.

Now looking at the PPX design, I'm not sure I'd trust that with much +P rated ammo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

frequent service.

Indeed it is. But that is also a PPQ, not a cheapass PPX. So take it however you want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

frequent service.

No offense but that image is anecdotal at best. I can post GLOCK KaBoom pics all day long but that doesn't relegate them to "range toy" status.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought the threaded barrel 9 from CDNN last year for under $300.  I also loaded up on mags.  It was a gun with 2 mags for the price of just a threaded barrel for some of my other guns.  Very cheap suppressor host.  I wasn't a fan of them when I sold them, but then again, I didn't even try to like them then.  I bought it because even I can recognize a deal when I see one.  It's grown on me a lot since I bought it.  No regrets - would buy again.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No offense but that image is anecdotal at best. I can post GLOCK KaBoom pics all day long but that doesn't relegate them to "range toy" status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

frequent service.

Go read waltherforums.com

I've done enough research of my own to know the PPX is shit. Now, feel free to do your own. Or not. I don't care.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#41]
It's a good deal and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but the best deal for 9mm handguns is STILL the Sig P2022.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Feels good. Best DAO trigger I've felt. But a bit too blocky for me
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#43]
If I was a first time buyer, I'd look seriously at the sub $300 price tag from a well known maker. I'm willing to bet it's better than that SW99 thing that came out a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Im sure it is a good handgun but I cant get past how it looks like a Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I was a first time buyer, I'd look seriously at the sub $300 price tag from a well known maker. I'm willing to bet it's better than that SW99 thing that came out a few years ago.
View Quote

I'd take a SW99 in 9mm anyday of the week over a PPX.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Read the review and took note of the MIM barrel. Sorry that is just not something you MIM even if it is just the breech.
View Quote

I will say its just the barrel hood/support/whatever with the feed ramp welded on. A three piece barrel, but the barrel itself shouldn't present any issues. The MIM oh noez are way overblown, IMO. It does make the cost of the barrel significantly cheaper.

As far as the grip, yeah it looks weird, but if you look at the palm of your hand it makes the same funky turn. It's a very comfortable grip.

Like I said, I delayed too long picking one up last December when they were running the free mags rebate. Still kicking myself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I will say its just the barrel hood/support/whatever with the feed ramp welded on. A three piece barrel, but the barrel itself shouldn't present any issues. The MIM oh noez are way overblown, IMO. It does make the cost of the barrel significantly cheaper.

As far as the grip, yeah it looks weird, but if you look at the palm of your hand it makes the same funky turn. It's a very comfortable grip.

Like I said, I delayed too long picking one up last December when they were running the free mags rebate. Still kicking myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its just the locking block that MIM.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's a good deal and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but the best deal for 9mm handguns is STILL the Sig P2022.
View Quote

I missed out on the Widener's 2022 sale. Two-tone 9mm with night sights for like $360.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top