Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 6:55:44 PM EDT
... Google gives info overload - not sure who to believe because many surely are quacks

ARFCOM A/C professionals, when it gets humid here my coils tend to freeze over (I think) and airflow seems to drop off

I can maintain a 20F differential, but the house struggles to cool like it used to when the unit was new 5 years ago (13.5 SEER)

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
to stop it from freezing up, you have to determine why its freezing up. they generally freeze up for 2 reasons. low freon or low air flow. if the air flow is good and filters clean, you're probably low on freon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had mine freeze becasue the filter was dirty as hell... I stay on top of that now
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
fpni

mine was low freon, I had a pinleak in the copper tube carrying freon from the unit.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had mine freeze becasue the filter was dirty as hell... I stay on top of that now
View Quote

This literally happened to us this past weekend.  World of difference just by changing the filter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This literally happened to us this past weekend.  World of difference just by changing the filter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

.... Cleaned the coils last weekend and complete took filters out to test this theory (no help), so it must be Freon - right?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

to stop it from freezing up, you have to determine why its freezing up. they generally freeze up for 2 reasons. low freon or low air flow. if the air flow is good and filters clean, you're probably low on freon.
View Quote

Yep. It is good to take a water hose and gently wash out the coil at least once a year. More often if you have trees like cottonwoods that give off stuff that can plug up the coil.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
.... Cleaned the coils last weekend and complete took filters out to test this theory (no help), so it must be Freon - right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say yes.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a leak somewhere.

My bet is condenser coil, it can be very small.

Sometimes recharging can tide you over for a year or so, but you will eventually run out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Also go outside and shop vac the drain tube. After that put in 2 cups of bleach, let it sit a couple hours. Sometimes they get clogged up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Clean your coils and toss some new filters in there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't use it
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top