Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 4:23:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Prime has been getting worse over the years.

Lately the stuff doesn't even ship out for a couple days, and then shows up in about 3 after the ship date.

Also I believe they raised the minimum to $35 from $25 for addon items.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
well, it was nice while it lasted

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a feeling Prime is about to be fucking worthless for those of us unfortunate to be stationed overseas.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lately the stuff doesn't even ship out for a couple days, and then shows up in about 3 after the ship date.

View Quote

I haven't seen that at all. In my area, prime has been fantastic - especially with the Prime Now service. 1 hour delivery for $7.99 or 2 hour delivery free. They do ask that you leave a tip, but you have up to 48 hours AFTER the delivery to tip on the service you received from the driver. You get a text when he's on his way with his current location and a text when it's delivered. placed an order Saturday night, had it Sunday morning at 9AM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://gizmodo.com/amazon-prime-is-about-to-get-worse-1727772444

so some merchants are going to restrict their prime shipping, presumably to their state or adjoining states. So when you see something listed as "prime" you may not be getting shit in North Dakota
View Quote

The reason I got Prime was because in Colorado regular amazon takes ages in the winter.

Their "free shipping" sometimes took 1.5 weeks.

I'm guessing that it was too good to last, my Prime shit still takes two days to get here, but they're sometimes taking a day or two to ship it from their warehouse.

I've gone from buying 2/3 of my shit from amazon, to a few high dollar items (mostly camera gear).
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh, not gonna get worked up about this.

Still infinitely better than actually going to the store

So basically, if a merchant in Florida doesn’t want to two-day ship west of the Mississippi, or a merchant in New York doesn’t want to ship to the west coast, they don’t have to. And that means that some of the merchandise that’ll pop up as Prime eligible won’t offer two-day shipping.

Now, objectively, this is fine. It’s fine! The idea that I can diddle around on my laptop and purchase a novelty t-shirt from Oregon and I assume that it should appear on my Brooklyn doorstep in 48 hours is ludicrous from the start. Shipping will still be free with a Prime subscription, just slower in some cases. The advantages of having a Prime membership remain robust, since this only applies to certain merchandise sold by certain sellers.

But Amazon has thoroughly warped my sense of shipping logistics to the point where reigning in Amazon Prime benefits for the ease of the sellers is OUTRAGEOUS to a dumb corner of my brain. Amazon did this to me. It plied me with promises of unlimited budget-friendly goods e-ordered and miraculously scuttled to my home. To go back on the shiny dream of improbably quick shipments on demand is to go back on what makes Amazon great!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the add on stuff drives me irrationally nuts I've ordered paper, toner and envelopes I didn't need to get a something like a set of nail clippers  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the add on stuff drives me irrationally nuts I've ordered paper, toner and envelopes I didn't need to get a something like a set of nail clippers  

Worse is when you intentionally check the filter to the left to "not show adons" and they are still on the results. Very obnoxious to the point of yelling at my monitor which doesn't understand insane, sleepy guy ranting.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
and I'll continue to use walmart.com for a lot of the same things, take advantage of free shipping, and get it faster than Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Did they change shipping costs for certain items?

A few weeks ago I ordered a dog crate.  Nothing outrageously big/heavy, but the box was probably 5"x26"x38" and 30lb.  During checkout, 2 day shipping which is normally free was listed as $13.99.  This WAS a prime eligible item.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

so some merchants are going to restrict their prime shipping, presumably to their state or adjoining states. So when you see something listed as "prime" you may not be getting shit in North Dakota
View Quote

That's interesting, because it's my understanding there's a large Amazon office up in either Grand Forks or Fargo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There must be some diabolical, asshole, mathematician that wrote them a script that sets prices. You can always get to the nearest dollar, but not close enough. Spend another $5. Dick!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did they change shipping costs for certain items?

A few weeks ago I ordered a dog crate.  Nothing outrageously big/heavy, but the box was probably 5"x26"x38" and 30lb.  During checkout, 2 day shipping which is normally free was listed as $13.99.  This WAS a prime eligible item.
View Quote

Yes, got a second Soma Juice frame for my gf and Prime shipping was 9.99.

Still not bad for a huge bike frame.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a feeling Prime is about to be fucking worthless for those of us unfortunate to be stationed overseas.  
View Quote

Never really got a great benefit out or it when stationed in Alaska.  The best I was able to see was free shipping for Weathertech floorboards.  The rest, I might as well have been in Italy again.

If Afghanistan or Iraq, on major FOBs, it was the same as before Prime.  Reliable packages within a few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I assumed they already did that, and that's why some things were "Prime" and other's weren't.

You can only win in business by taking losses for so long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assumed they already did that, and that's why some things were "Prime" and other's weren't.

You can only win in business by taking losses for so long.

This
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I once bought a bicycle that someone posted a link to here from wal mart. It was shipped to my house for free. It's some chinese pos, but how can they ship a bicycle to my house for free for $ 100? It's still in the box in the back of my garage five years later, probably rusted in to one imoveable piece  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and I'll continue to use walmart.com for a lot of the same things, take advantage of free shipping, and get it faster than Amazon.
I once bought a bicycle that someone posted a link to here from wal mart. It was shipped to my house for free. It's some chinese pos, but how can they ship a bicycle to my house for free for $ 100? It's still in the box in the back of my garage five years later, probably rusted in to one imoveable piece  

return it for being defective
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That's interesting, because it's my understanding there's a large Amazon office up in either Grand Forks or Fargo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, yes there is.  I think he just used ND as an example.

ETA: Just read the article looks like it is offered to companies to drop ship from their factories which there aren't alot of them here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
It's still been really good for me. I use their movies, storage and other free services too. I have no complaints until it gets worse than their competitors. They are laying off a lot of folks soon so, we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not surprised that the delivery end of Prime might be cut back at the same time as the online end of Prime expands.

$99/year is still a deal, I'll keep my membership until things clearly go south.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
This isn't a restriction on prime as most of us know it, which are items fulfilled by amazon. It sounds like a restriction on a pilot program that allowed non FBA items to be marked as "prime shipping".

This is an expansion of prime by marking 3P items (probably based on your current location) as "prime" and allowing 3rd party vendors to ship regionally.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]
My Prime shipping has been taking at least 3 days from shipping so I complained repeatedly and got my Prime extended for months.  Then they started shipping me the wrong items.  I got tired of driving to a UPS drop off box to ship items back and wait for the correct item to be shipped, they told me to keep the incorrect items sometimes, but I basically told them to F%&k off.

Now my state has passed a law to tax all purchases from Amazon even though they have no physical presence in the state and Amazon has agreed to collect the tax starting October 1st.  Not all online retailers will be collecting the tax so I will likely price items at Amazon and find other retailers who don't collect the tax or buy the items at Walmart.

I'll likely save money not buying from Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  They say it's available for prime shipping but takes 1-2 days to process.  Gives then time to move it around, then 2 day shipping kicks in.

I've had a number if orders miss prime estimated shipping lately as well.  I think they've developed some kinks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Has Amazon made a profit yet?  I know their stock is doing fine but have they actually had a net profit yet?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Has Amazon made a profit yet?  I know their stock is doing fine but have they actually had a net profit yet?
View Quote

good question.
I ordered a brand new CD last Friday and it shipped from back east somewhere.,
arrived via USPS on Sunday.  no idea how the fuck they make money.  but I'm not complaining yet.
the cost of said CD?  $4.95 free 2 day shipping included.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unsure how it is in your neck of the woods but here it sucks giant blue donkey balls
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised that the delivery end of Prime might be cut back at the same time as the online end of Prime expands.

$99/year is still a deal, I'll keep my membership until things clearly go south.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not to mention all of the content I get for free, music and videos.  I've started using the shit out of those.

Quoted:

Not really my problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I think here in Austin, a lot of shit comes out of DFW. I think they're trying to do some same-day stuff out of Austin.

I use the SHIT out of Amazon. I think in 2014 I had about 140 orders. I'd rather search for and order shit on Amazon than try to go find it locally.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:22:06 AM EDT
[#31]
The only reasons I still have it: $49 student prime, and diapers cheaper than the store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think here in Austin, a lot of shit comes out of DFW. I think they're trying to do some same-day stuff out of Austin.

I use the SHIT out of Amazon. I think in 2014 I had about 140 orders. I'd rather search for and order shit on Amazon than try to go find it locally.
View Quote

Yep.  I don't have time for limited selection, more drive time, more tax, more cost, and less competition unless I need it RFN.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#33]
The add on items are very annoying. A Butler Creek Objective size 09 is a 6.99 add on where a Butler Creek Objective size 01 for 6.99 is regular prime, seems like there is no rhyme or reason...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The add on items are very annoying. A Butler Creek Objective size 09 is a 6.99 add on where a Butler Creek Objective size 01 for 6.99 is regular prime, seems like there is no rhyme or reason...
View Quote

Size 01 probably doesn't sell that well.  Size 9 probably does.  So they pay to ship 01 and make profit off of 09 by saving on shipping.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Last time I ordered a bunch of stuff to have shipped to me in Afghanistan, they wouldn't ship half of it here. I ended up cancelling my order and ordering everything from Walmart.com.

You can't tell me they have a valid reason not to ship a pillow to an APO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Size 01 probably doesn't sell that well.  Size 9 probably does.  So they pay to ship 01 and make profit off of 09 by saving on shipping.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is true, I need one for my TA-33 and now I'm going to have to find some random crap to fill out an order. Oh well. My wife and I use the heck out of Amazon Instant Video on our Roku and I use Amazon music so we are still getting our money's worth, for now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#37]
as with most things, Amazon Prime started out as a great idea, and was for many years but not has turned to crap.

Prime movies/TV also..At first there were many things I could find to watch for free.  Now the only things worth watching are the worst of the worst in terms of B grade movies.

Honestly though I'd rather wait a little longer for stuff than go out to the store and spend an afternoon shopping for this shit.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
as with most things, Amazon Prime started out as a great idea, and was for many years but not has turned to crap.

Prime movies/TV also..At first there were many things I could find to watch for free.  Now the only things worth watching are the worst of the worst in terms of B grade movies.

Honestly though I'd rather wait a little longer for stuff than go out to the store and spend an afternoon shopping for this shit.

View Quote

That's the rub isn't it? We have replaced cable with Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus but in reality Amazon doesn't do much Netflix doesn't do. I like Amazon music but am currently doing a free trial with Apple Music on my iPhone and they have a ton (about 2 million) songs Amazon doesn't like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Moody Blues, and ABBA. I'm seriously considering keeping Apple Music when my 3 month trial is up. Ultimately the fact I hate going shopping keeps me with them, for now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:32:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's the rub isn't it? We have replaced cable with Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu Plus but in reality Amazon doesn't do much Netflix doesn't do. I like Amazon music but am currently doing a free trial with Apple Music on my iPhone and they have a ton (about 2 million) songs Amazon doesn't like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Moody Blues, and ABBA. I'm seriously considering keeping Apple Music when my 3 month trial is up. Ultimately the fact I hate going shopping keeps me with them, for now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, that's the thing.  If you are just trying to get your money's worth, staying with Amazon and putting up with their more limited selection will do that.

If you want to get your best music, you are going to have to subscribe to a few different services.  Content providers have been splitting their content for a while in order to protect "premium" services.  Meh.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#40]

The should re-brand it Amazon Select.  or Choice.  or Dry-aged.

Not Prime

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:08:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This isn't a restriction on prime as most of us know it, which are items fulfilled by amazon. It sounds like a restriction on a pilot program that allowed non FBA items to be marked as "prime shipping".

This is an expansion of prime by marking 3P items (probably based on your current location) as "prime" and allowing 3rd party vendors to ship regionally.
View Quote

Hope so, if they pull that with Prime, I'll drop it and I suspect many others will as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I've found the movies and TV to be worthless too.  You're probably right, seems like the only thing free are the damn previews.  

Whatever I want to watch, you can be sure it isn't free.  I rarely check anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I like using Amazon.  I will still shop around and buy from the place that is best for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're complaining about 3 day shipping to chile?  I'm impreessed, that's some fast service.  

I'VE only had one package arrive late out of probably close to a hundred, and they threw on an extra month to my prime subscription.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For about two weeks Walmart had 50lb bags of whole corn for $9 and free shipping.  I can get it cheaper locally , but ordered 5 bags just so I didn't have to run out to the store.  I'm sure shipping was more than I paid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I love to see people bitching about items taking 3 days to get to their house with free shipping. Don't you remember what it was like before prime? Shit would take at least a week to get here if free shipping was even an option, and usually it was like $8 for UPS ground. 2-day shipping was in the realm of $30-100 depending on the weight of the item.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is my business model.

There are times where if I can't get it on Amazon, I don't order it.

I have Prime and I use their Smile program to support a good charity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top