Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 1:40:48 PM EDT
The Republican establishment continues to reap what they've sown as Trump and Carson are tied at new highs well ahead of the pack, Fiorina and Cruz practically tied at new highs for them in third and fourth place, then everybody else languishing in the single digits basement.  That's the top three candidates in a party caucusgoers poll never holding public office before.  And Cruz in fourth, not exactly the establishment's flag bearer.  A couple weeks ago a general poll in Arizona got similar results.

WaPo
The big takeaway from this new poll of the Iowa GOP caucuses -- from Monmouth University -- is that Ben Carson has  drawn even with Donald Trump, at 23 percent. And it comes a couple days after another poll showed Carson closing to within five.

That in and of itself is remarkable. Trump's rise was already unbelievable; Carson's is equally so. What's even more amazing, though: The third-place candidate in this new poll is businesswoman Carly Fiorina, who like Trump and Carson has never held public office. In fact, they are the only three hopefuls in the GOP field who can say that, and they are 1-2-3.

In fourth place? Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who perhaps more than anybody embodies the outsider mentality from within the U.S. Senate.

The combined vote total of those four candidates? 65 percent.

The combined vote total for Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, John Kasich and Bobby Jindal -- who all come from more establishment-oriented backgrounds and the first four of whom have at times been considered GOP front-runners -- is 22 percent.

And while the split is more pronounced in favor of outsiders in this poll, it's not a new phenomenon. The Des Moines Register/Bloomberg poll over the weekend showed the four outsiders getting 54 percent of the vote, compared to the latter sextet's 26 percent. That's still more than two-to-one.
View Quote

Carson more popular than Trump with the undecideds:
Monmouth Poll
Only 12% of likely Republican caucusgoers say they are completely decided on which candidate they will support in February. Another 42% have a strong preference now but are willing to consider other candidates... Among voters who say their current decision is strongly locked in, Trump leads with 30%, compared to 22% for Carson. Among those who say they only have a slight preference or are up in the air, 25% support Carson and 16% back Trump.

Iowa GOP caucus goers say that, regardless of who they support in the primary, the country needs a president from outside of government who can bring a new approach to Washington (66%) rather than someone with government experience who knows how to get things done (23%). Among those who prefer an outsider, more than two-thirds are backing one of the three candidates who have never held elected office – Trump (32%), Carson (26%), or Fiorina (13%). However, even among those who say the country needs someone with government experience, 30% are currently supporting one of these three candidates.

The Monmouth University Poll was sponsored and conducted by the Monmouth University Polling Institute from August 27 to 30, 2015 with a statewide random sample of 405 Iowa voters drawn from a list of registered Republican voters who voted in at least one of the last two state primary elections and indicate they are likely to attend the Republican presidential caucuses in February 2016.
View Quote

What the hell Carson?  I like him (except for guns) but I'm surprised by the support.  I haven't heard anybody get excited about Carson, one way or the other.  Maybe he appeals as the "safe" way to reform the system?  let's say a surgical repair instead of smashing it and reassembling the pieces like Trump.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Carson is the candidate for those who still care whether people call them racist or not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carson is the candidate for those who still care whether people call them racist or not.
View Quote

FPNI.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So race is the only thing he's got going for him, huh?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Even for people who believe in polls, it's way to early to put any faith in them.
The political ads haven't really started.

While everyone complains about political ads (especially negative ads) the truth is that they work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Great.

Ben Caron seems to hold similar political views to GW Bush, Trump doesn't seem to be conservative at all and Fiorina couldn't save a corporation from self destruction so I don't see how she could save this country.

I like Cruz but realize he may lack the charisma needed to win. The only good news is that the Democrats seem to be just as boned with their potentials.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#7]
As an Iowa Republican who will most likely go to the caucus I would advise everyone to take the polls with a large grain of salt.  We not really paying that much attention yet.  It is very fluid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
lol...

Like it matters.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carson is a doctor not a leader. He is a good man but IMO not presidential material, not nearly yet anyway. He would be better suited as surgeon general.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Carson is a doctor not a leader. He is a good man but IMO not presidential material, not nearly yet anyway. He would be better suited as surgeon general.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not perfect, but to say that his supporters are only supporting him out of some kind of white guilt is ridiculous.  

None of the Republican candidates in the primary are perfect, but there are quite a few (including Carson) that I'd be willing to vote for.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me what part of his platform sets him apart from the other republican candidates?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please tell me what part of his platform sets him apart from the other republican candidates?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of any candidate's platform sets them apart from the others?

Let's be honest, I like the fact that he's not a Washington insider.

His experience in the medical field gives him a unique perspective on Obamacare, which he is very vocally against.

Stemming from that, I'm a big fan of his support of HSAs.

He offers a mature voice in the abortion debate.

And he wants to streamline the tax code.

There's not much to not like about him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

His views on guns are a no go for me.

Appearing on Glenn Beck's radio show this past week, Carson took a vastly different stance from most conservatives on the issue of gun control, claiming you shouldn't be able to own semi-automatic weapons in large cities.

Asked by Beck for his thoughts on the Second Amendment, Carson gave the popular pro-gun argument: "There's a reason for the Second Amendment; people do have the right to have weapons."

But when asked whether people should be allowed to own "semi-automatic weapons," the doctor replied: "It depends on where you live. I think if you live in the midst of a lot of people, and I'm afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it," Carson elaborated. However, if you live "out in the country somewhere by yourself" and want to own a semi-automatic weapon, he added, "I've no problem with that."

Plus...

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2014/11/26/Carson: Cops-could-be-trained-to-shoot-for-the-legs

Carson continued, “he [Wilson] had every right to protect his life. But I do think that there are probably other techniques that could have been used.”

He specified “for instance, in a lot of places, police officers aren’t even allowed to go into the more dangerous areas by themselves. They’re always paired. Or you know, people use tasers, people learn how to shoot people in the legs to stop them from charging, things of that nature.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

His experience in the medical field gives him a unique perspective on Obamacare, which he is very vocally against.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so while he repeats what the other candidates say (except for guns, where he is pro-gun control and is kinda into the whole #BLM thing) his background as a doctor?
OK.
I guess I would argue Rand Paul is a doctor, too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

so while he repeats what the other candidates say (except for guns, where he is pro-gun control and is kinda into the whole #BLM thing) his background as a doctor?
OK.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK.

You only like Rand Paul because he is white.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like that too, but let's be honest, he's kind of light on executive experience and we really need that right now
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Around the part of Iowa where I live, virtually nobody is on fire for any one candidate except for the occasional tin foil hat type that would gargle Trump's cock.

And the whole Carson thing is that he's been getting good press. I guarantee that the frontrunner will change at least 6 or 8 times before the cacuses happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You only like Rand Paul because he is short.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm ready for a Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina ticket. Would put that sign in my yard today.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm ready for a Ben Carson and Carly Fiorina ticket. Would put that sign in my yard today.
View Quote

I wouldn't even go and vote for the down ticket candidates. If that pair is the best the Republicans could come up with.
FUCK THEM!

I'd sit it out I don't care who the Democrats ran.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top