Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2015 12:33:55 PM EDT
I have a 2009 Tacoma, I have an inconsistent squeal and vibration. It seems to be mainly in the front end. The squeal starts at 15-20 mph through 30 mph, and the vibration is at varying speeds from 50-75 mph. It has literally brand new tires (just bought them this weekend, it needed them anyway and I thought it would fix the problem). Its been happening for the past 200-300 miles. The vibration seems to only happen when I am giving it gas, but does not happen when revving the engine in neutral.

I am thinking a bad bearing? How can I diagnose this?

I'd like to save the money and fix it myself if possible.

UPDATE.

Went to autozone and got a new u-joint, took about 2-3 hrs to replace this afternoon. Truck drives like new now, on the old u-joint there was one bearing where all of the bearing rods had been turned to dust from friction and heat. Went ahead and greased up the new bearings as well as the old ones, going to add this to my list of things to do at oil changes, honestly never knew I needed to do it.

Anyway working on your own vehicles is great! Did this in about half the time it would have taken for the dealer to do it, and only spent about 40 bucks on parts and a few new tools that I needed to complete the project.

Thanks Arfcom! This place is great! I almost decided to make an appointment at the dealer before posting here, had it figured out in less than 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like  bad U Joint in your driveshaft
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
jack up front end, spin tires and see if something doesn't seen right...compare sides.
Grab tire by top and bottom and push/pull...any movement? Compare them.

Put in 4 lo and get revs up, is it a driveline squeal or a tire "speed" noise.

You should be able to figure out.

truck mileage?

U-joints, jack up and rotate shafts...clonking?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
jack up front end, spin tires and see if something doesn't seen right...compare sides.
Grab tire by top and bottom and push/pull...any movement? Compare them.

Put in 4 lo and get revs up, is it a driveline squeal or a tire "speed" noise.

You should be able to figure out.

truck mileage?

U-joints, jack up and rotate shafts...clonking?
View Quote

Thanks, Just hit 120,000
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
CV shaft or hub bearing.

ETA...4X4 or 2WD ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CV shaft or hub bearing.

ETA...4X4 or 2WD ?
View Quote

4x4. I think its a driveshaft U joint after getting under the truck. The one at the very front near the transmission is slightly loose (all the rest have no wiggle) and it appears to be missing an o ring or something. Pics to follow shortly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My 2008 has just started doing the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope it's a U joint. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Pic of U joint that is missing the "o-ring" for lack of a better term. See the bare metal at the bottom? None of the other u-joints have them, and the shaft has a very slight wiggle as a result.

Here is a pic of the other side of the u-joint with the o-ring (how all the other u-joints look).
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Front inboard cv most likely ( especially if it's lifted). To check if it's a u joint out it in gear and Rick it back and forth looking at the joints for play
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Time for a new U-Joint.

thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Time for a new U-Joint.

thanks for the pics.
View Quote

So you think that's it? Does an amateur with decent mechanical inclination, a 3 ton jack, some jack stands and a decent tool kit have time to get this done by 1800 when the household-6 gets home?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
If it is not that U joint it soon will be. It is missing the dust cap, U joint will be toast soon.

My vibration was a bearing on the front rh tire Had vertical play. Tire guy should of picked up on a bad wheel bearing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So you think that's it? Does an amateur with decent mechanical inclination, a 3 ton jack, some jack stands and a decent tool kit have time to get this done by 1800 when the household-6 gets home?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time for a new U-Joint.

thanks for the pics.

may need a vice to press out the old joint, but u joint are not hard, hammer and punch the old one out
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Explains my symptoms perfectly. I also have the line of grease along the underside of my truck from the bad joint.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Got an 05 With 178k miles still org u joints, grease them every oil change.

Skip the autonzone durlast crap gotto the dealer
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time for a new U-Joint.

thanks for the pics.

Do a youtube search and you will find a quick video of the procedure.  May need to rent some tools from the parts store when you buy the new u-joint.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Check your carrier bearing too (if equipped).

Tacomas like to eat those as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like  bad U Joint in your driveshaft
View Quote

What I was going to say
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Update in OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top