Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:24:20 AM EDT
I am looking at a 96 ktm 300exc I can scoop it up for about $400 in trade owner claims he hasn't raced it this year cause he got a new bike and this one may need a carb cleaning he is also going to do a compression test for me to make sure it don't need a new top end

This would be my first dirtbike I'm a big husquvarna fan so a ktm 2 stroke seems like a natural fit

Is there anything I need to lookout for? Is it a good deal? Good first bike?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Not realy a KTM guy but that's a 20 y/o bike - parts won't be "easy". IIRC '96 was the beginning of KTM becomming a dominant player in the US offroad market. IIRC KTM had ignition system issues in those days - and eventually changed suppliers.

I wouldn't recommend a 300cc two stroke as a first bike for the vast majority of people.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]
That vintage of KTM where hounded by some turning issues but nothing real bad.  Mostly it comes from folks who don't know how to set up the PDS/no-link rear shock.  Unless you are a seasoned rider, you likely wont know the difference.  The 300 would make a good first bike in that it is probably the most four-stroke of the two-strokes, it will have the ability to put you on your ass quickly though.  If jetted correctly it should lug around and not require being on the pipe to go anywhere.  They are a short-shift bike, not a revver.

Change fluids, ensure function of all the controls, clean the filter and go.  The 300's traditionally are very reliable engines.

The $400 makes this either a GREAT buy for a first bike, or a low price to dump a problem bike. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
ast season the bike got new tires, handlebars, grips, wheel bearings, fork seals, chain, sprockets, and cables. It has a WER steering stabilizer and full fmf exhaust with spark arrestor

So it seems like it's been well maintained

I'm not looking to be Travis Pastrana or anything  this will be a ranch bike with the occasional trip to the mountains when I get comfortable enough
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like its been cared for even though its old for a dirt bike.   Sounds like its a good  deal for what it is and what you want it for.   Like some said above a 300 is big for a first bike but its not a rever it can be short shifted, so take it easy on the throttle.   May be hard to find parts for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure about the older ones but I have a 2015 690 and I love it......
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]

I have to disagree will some. The 300 is a prefect first bike. The power delivery is smother than the 250sx. The exc had a little more flywheel weight to it and has a smooth, tractable power. I had a 360exc back in the 90's and it was a reliable trail bike. The seat was wide and soft.

Back in the 90's I was big into racing motocross and had a couple of full race bikes. The exc was my tail bike for just going up into the mountains or desert.

$400?? Buy that shit NOW.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Parts would be my only concern.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This, you'll likely be scrounging Ebay and forums should something major be required.

How many hours on the motor?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This, you'll likely be scrounging Ebay and forums should something major be required.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know

he is going to do a compression test tonight for me
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i dont know

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know

Compression is one thing, bearings are another
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Way too old. Money pit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i dont know

ive been looking for engine rebuild kits and does not look like much is availible
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
also i have a video of it running im trying to figure out how to post it
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
http://sendvid.com/5r57mqgz
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
For 400 bucks, I'd buy it if it ran well.   Ride it till it a needed repair is more than $100 then part that bitch out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Munn Racing out of TX should be able to get you parts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For 400 bucks, I'd buy it if it ran well.   Ride it till it a needed repair is more than $100 then part that bitch out.
View Quote

Agreed!

but a chain, rear tire & airfilter would exceed that
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Hopefully going to scoop it up tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is how I feel. And I have had more than a couple of KTM's
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Compression is 135 seems low
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not realy a KTM guy but that's a 20 y/o bike - parts won't be "easy". IIRC '96 was the beginning of KTM becomming a dominant player in the US offroad market. IIRC KTM had ignition system issues in those days - and eventually changed suppliers.

I wouldn't recommend a 300cc two stroke as a first bike for the vast majority of people.
View Quote

My first and last dirt bike was a cr500.

My first and last crotch rocket was a gsxr 1000.

Maybe it is better to start small. I raced a heavily modded yfz450 but those bikes scared the crap out of me when i was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The last dirt bike I had was a KTM520. It was a awesome ride. I rode a few races on a loaner 300EXC. Very smooth power for a 2 stroke thanks to the heavy flywheel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why not?

Quoted:

Judging by the video that doesn't surprise me. It shouldn't be smoking THAT much. Also, maybe it's just the video quality, but it sounds like it's bogging under throttle. Have you ridden it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Between me and some friends weve had a few of the 300's.  They are absolutely THE woods bike.

Nothing else, between the WR, KLX, KLR (LoL), DRZ, etc Ive owned or ridden comes close.  The have low end like a 400 4 stroke and mid range like a Caterpillar

Do it.,
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Between me and some friends weve had a few of the 300's.  They are absolutely THE woods bike.

Nothing else, between the WR, KLX, KLR (LoL), DRZ, etc Ive owned or ridden comes close.  The have low end like a 400 4 stroke and mid range like a Caterpillar

Do it.,
View Quote

I agree

and for parts.... Here toy go
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why not?

Judging by the video that doesn't surprise me. It shouldn't be smoking THAT much. Also, maybe it's just the video quality, but it sounds like it's bogging under throttle. Have you ridden it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Quoted:

Have not ridden it yet maybe today if I get to town

The owner offerd to replace the piston ring with me it's a 2$ part
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully the cylinder isn't trashed.  Main bearings probably suspect based on age.  All the bearings probably need changed out.  For $400 bucks though...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hopefully the cylinder isn't trashed.  Main bearings probably suspect based on age.  All the bearings probably need changed out.  For $400 bucks though...
View Quote

What I was thinking is if it is maybe bore it out to 1st oversize

I'd still be in it under 1000......I dunno
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#29]
You better check to see if it's chome linned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah 400 is pretty cheap. Did the owner offer to swap the piston ring himself? Or just include one in the deal?
If you want to keep the bike it would be smart to refresh the bearing and check out the valves. Depending on what kind of carb it uses that could need attention as well. Some dirt bike carbs use a slide valve instead of a butterfly valve type. If it's a slide valve type then it does have a finite life because eventually the slide and the walls of the carb where the slide... slides.. will wear down and eventually all you can do is replace it.

Just my .02

With the mods it has if you can get it top shape for under 1300 then it's still a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Agreed!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

Those aren't repairs, they're maintenance. He'd have to do that no matter what used bike he bought. Or a new one, for that matter.

Maybe he should dump it after the first $100 worth of gas??

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You better check to see if it's chome linned.
View Quote

nope,it is Nikasil
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah 400 is pretty cheap. Did the owner offer to swap the piston ring himself? Or just include one in the deal?
If you want to keep the bike it would be smart to refresh the bearing and check out the valves. Depending on what kind of carb it uses that could need attention as well. Some dirt bike carbs use a slide valve instead of a butterfly valve type. If it's a slide valve type then it does have a finite life because eventually the slide and the walls of the carb where the slide... slides.. will wear down and eventually all you can do is replace it.

Just my .02

With the mods it has if you can get it top shape for under 1300 then it's still a good deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my .02

he offered to do it with me helping (so I can learn how to)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Those aren't repairs, they're maintenance. He'd have to do that no matter what used bike he bought. Or a new one, for that matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

All that stuff has been replaced in the last year
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#35]
For $400, I would buy it just for the fact that it is $400. Plus I like KTM's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

Ninjas
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Too much bike for a beginner - I'd love to have a 300 EXC personally but I'm not a beginner rider and am not likely to grab a handful of throttle at the wrong time.  Basically the same reasons I don't recommend a Hayabusa for a beginner.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd love to own a 950 ADV.

But yeah for $400 fo aplenty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Too much bike for a beginner - I'd love to have a 300 EXC personally but I'm not a beginner rider and am not likely to grab a handful of throttle at the wrong time.  Basically the same reasons I don't recommend a Hayabusa for a beginner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

I've waited until 35 to get a bike  I feel responsible enough now I got all the stupidity out of my system with cars

I have 40 acres out here to fart around on when I feel comfortable maybe I'll take it up to the mountians
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I've waited until 35 to get a bike  I feel responsible enough now I got all the stupidity out of my system with cars

I have 40 acres out here to fart around on when I feel comfortable maybe I'll take it up to the mountians
View Quote

You don't have to be going fast to get in over your head.  How tall are you & how much do you weigh? Any dirt bike experience at all?  More than likely you'll be fine and $400 may be a good deal on the bike but it's not a bike I would recommend to most folks as a first bike.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You don't have to be going fast to get in over your head.  How tall are you & how much do you weigh? Any dirt bike experience at all?  More than likely you'll be fine and $400 may be a good deal on the bike but it's not a bike I would recommend to most folks as a first bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 6'2 255 I rode dirt bike like 4 times in highschool and a motorcycle for like a week
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm 6'2 255 I rode dirt bike like 4 times in highschool and a motorcycle for like a week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

your height/weight will be a benefit.  Now just don't be stupid and let your right hand get you trouble
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#44]
friggin' ISP & iPhone.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd buy it. But I'm a impulse buyer that bought a $400 96 cr250 basket case. Ran like a raped ape till I lean seized the top me. In the process of doing that now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to be fine. A 300 is not too much bike even for a beginner....
Hell my first bike was (still have it actually) a 350.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#47]
stupid iPhone
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#48]
People who say it's too much bike are bad riders or non riders

You can ride any bike, just not to its full potential, don't get hung up....you could get a. 500 exc and still rife your farm

For your stated needs, you can't go wrong....spend 400, if it breaks, dump it

White power ain't worth upgrading

Ride it, have fun, spend 400 bones
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#49]
You can run the 300 a gear higher and lug it around. You don't have to rev the ever lovin shit out of it to make things happen.

My KTM150 on the other hand has to stay up in the revs. But it may just be as old and slow as I am, having the little thing revving its guts out at least makes it sound like I am going fast!

You might want to drop in on the KTMTALK website and ask the same questions. Maybe some there are more knowledgeable about that specific year bike, parts and such.

Braaaaaapppppp!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People who say it's too much bike are bad riders or non riders

You can ride any bike, just not to its full potential, don't get hung up....you could get a. 500 exc and still rife your farm

For your stated needs, you can't go wrong....spend 400, if it breaks, dump it

White power ain't worth upgrading

Ride it, have fun, spend 400 bones
View Quote

The 3 plated dirtbikes in my garage & M1 endorsement since '93 should sufficiently address the "non rider" BS.

I never claimed to be a good rider - D36 C enduro - but I have taught enough people how to ride (and other sports) to know that starting a beginner out on full sized high performance equipment can have negative consequences. Obviously others have different opinions.

I guess I should have kept my plated XR628 & plated KX500 for teaching 5'6"/130lb guys how to ride in the dirt & the Katana 1100 & VFR800 for teaching folks on the street......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top