Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 11:00:22 PM EDT
Yeah here comes the mystery.  If the car has been driving for awhile, brakes moderately used- I get a weird metallic chatter/rattle noise right add the car comes to a stop.

Pads are good.
Rotors look good.
It's only at the very end when the vehicle is finally stopping.

It's a 2013 crv w/abs.  There's a very mild vibration matching the rattle noise.

Could it be they are just hot and make the noise?  Grease required anywhere?  I will try to get a recording tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull the calipers back off OP, and replace the anti rattle clips that go between the pads and the bracket..they are either heat soaked and weakened, or out right missing...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Does you car have anti-rattle clips?  If so - check them.

Could also be dust shields rattling.

As with anything odd related to brakes - pull the wheel and take a look at pad thickness, rotor wear, the line and everything in the area.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The rotors may be warped and the pads scooting back and forth can cause the noise you described. If you can, take out the brake pads, and apply a coating of a high-quality ceramic brake parts lubricant to the points where the pads contact the hardware clips. If the noise goes away it's a good bet that the rotors need machining, or replacing if they're too thin to machine.  An on-car lathe is preferable if the shop has one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My thought past the already mentioned is- Your might caliper might be seized or on its way. Best way to prevent is to clean and grease the pistons every brake job. Its pretty easy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Ceramic pad grease usually comes with the pads, use it.
You dont notice the noise at higher speed because of wheel rpm's, road noise, wind etc.

Does the vehicle pull one way or another when braking fairly hard?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Upgrade the radio to Alpine
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#7]
When the brakes squeal, it means they're working.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My thought past the already mentioned is- Your might caliper might be seized or on its way. Best way to prevent is to clean and grease the pistons every brake job. Its pretty easy.
View Quote
Meh, I have lifetime warranty on my calipers from oriellys. I'll just get new ones.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's deep, man.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:13:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine squeak after some aggressive braking.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine are a little shaky, but it looks like I have plenty of life left on the rotor.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Upgrade the radio to Alpine
View Quote
And pump some shit from NWA

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Meh, I have lifetime warranty on my calipers from oriellys. I'll just get new ones.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess if you have replaced all 4 already sure. I would rather not have to replace oem for a reman part on something i can prevent in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Noise when breaking - fixed it for you op
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
Holy crap. It took me a second for that to register in my brain. EXTREME seized caliper. How much noise was this making? It must have been horrendous. People are idiots.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holy crap. It took me a second for that to register in my brain. EXTREME seized caliper. How much noise was this making? It must have been horrendous. People are idiots.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I work at a brake shop. We see this more often than you'd think. We've even seen the remains of the disc break off the center hub. Scary to think we drive on the same roads as these idiots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The rotors may be warped and the pads scooting back and forth can cause the noise you described. If you can, take out the brake pads, and apply a coating of a high-quality ceramic brake parts lubricant to the points where the pads contact the hardware clips. If the noise goes away it's a good bet that the rotors need machining, or replacing if they're too thin to machine.  An on-car lathe is preferable if the shop has one.
View Quote

So if greasing the edges of the pads makes it go away, then the rotors are bad?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Wow!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Change cap rotor and wires.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Change cap rotor and wires.
View Quote
Better test the O2 sensor, too

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's deep, man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's deep, man.

Maybe but true.

Physics be a bitch.... Motion gets transfered to heat, vibration and noise. Trick is to make all three low enough not to bother anything.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the rotors are warped then you'll get some steering wheel shake when braking at highway speed.  The brakes will also have a pulsating feeling as you slow down and the pads are going across the high spots in the rotor.

FPNI.   Check to make sure the all the anti-rattle clips or shims are in place around the pad and not missing or broken.  They keep the pads snug in the caliper to they don't rattle around and make noise.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I work at a brake shop. We see this more often than you'd think. We've even seen the remains of the disc break off the center hub. Scary to think we drive on the same roads as these idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Like this?

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#24]
But if it's when the car is almost stopped completely, and the brakes are firmly applied, that means the rotors are warped/uneven and that's why they still rattle even when fully compressed?

Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes because the grease will temporarily stop the noise coming from edges of the pads rubbing back and forth.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this?

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k410/m35ben/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-11-27_11-01-35_538_zps13c28321.jpg

Like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

Meh.  You're not even through the wear bars yet.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rotor/brake pad kits are not expensive on line.  If you can change a tire, you can do it yourself with the help of Youtube.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, You should be able to isolate the noise to a single wheel. Take the brake rotors off and look at the back side of the rotor.

If you have a seized floating caliper, only the inside pad is doing any braking. It is quite possible you have no actual pad left on the inside pad, and the metal backing plate from the pad is grinding against the rotor. This has happened to me twice on two vehicles. In both instances, someone else changed the pads, and didn't clean and grease the floating pins.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
OP find yourself a balloon,blow it up. Now rub your finger on it until it makes a noise, that noise is a vibration It is one of the side effects of the coefficient of friction in relation to the speed,pressure and temperature of the friction surfaces rubbing together.
That's what your pads and rotors are doing and the vibration is transmitting itself through the rotor,hub,steering knuckle and strut and making the springs and your whole suspension vibrate But sure,grease your pads that will help

I am sure engineers have tried that as well as stainless steel shims on the abutments and rubber bushings on guide pins and magical unicorn dust in the brake pads trying to stop brake noise on disc brakes since they were invented......
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Die-electric grease
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Just wow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:57:48 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Just wow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top