Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
Never seen one before.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet it blows heads off while people are just sitting there!

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Germans had one in the 30's.

50mm

Gen powered or bicycle

Mounted in fortresses.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Would it not be faster if the 2 guys took turns bringing ammo to it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
looked like it was almost shooting straight up
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Bofors style clip fed. Kinda want.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bofors style clip fed. Kinda want.
View Quote

Kinda sounds like a Bofors, too. Want even more, now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I would want the ammo a little closer especially if I was the poor SOB that had to run and fetch it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#10]
As mortars go, it's pretty accurate. Volume of fire is awesome. WANT. If I remember right, it was developed originally for airborne use.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen automated mortars but not one magazine fed.  Badass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My god, a real life Thudd Gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yea those are awesome.  That ammo bearer got the short straw.  Now like the ammo laying out 5 feet further would help if the breach blew up or when the counter battery hits.  

I would like to see the emplacement drill on one and how fast they can move after shooting.  You could dump a bunch of rounds with that bad boy but not getting back on the move means you are dead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yea those are awesome.  That ammo bearer got the short straw.  Now like the ammo laying out 5 feet further would help if the breach blew up or when the counter battery hits.  

I would like to see the emplacement drill on one and how fast they can move after shooting.  You could dump a bunch of rounds with that bad boy but not getting back on the move means you are dead.
View Quote

Mount two in the back of a 5 ton with fast actuating brace legs. Pull up an ammo 5 ton next to it and drop a boarding ramp across for the ammo bitches. Dump a dozen trays per mortar and then pick up and scoot.

Okay, really want now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They need to develop a man-portable conveyor belt to go along with it - Something that can get a round from safe storage to the mortar in just a few seconds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#18]
So... which one is the lowest rank?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So... which one is the lowest rank?
View Quote

honestly this is a good question.  

On some mortar systems the assistant gunner out ranks the gunner because the gunners job has been over simplified while the AG needs to load the round carefully and quickly.  This isn't true with this type of magazine fed system but for track systems with MFCS in the US arsenal it is.  

The gunner is clearly using poles and checking the sight.  I would love to see the impacts and how it groups.  Im also curious how they run the FDC on them and what kind of spread is built into the style of firing.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I also find it interesting to show the difference in doctrine.  They are slinging 4 rounds per pull accepting a large spread in the rounds but getting the idea that the target should be destroyed along with lots of other stuff around it.

With more and more advancements in mortar tech in the US we are going for first round fire for effects and always accuracy over saturation.  We have very expensive systems being developed that land multiple rounds on the same target at the same time from the same tube while others figure if they saturate with cheaper stuff it can do as good of a job.  I don't know which is the right answer.  In a war on terror in coin fights accuracy is important gotta keep the politicians happy.  I don't think the russians are too worried about that.
ruag
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]
They are extremely useful short to medium range systems that can be mounted on trucks, towed, or fitted into APCs. They are also used in direct fire role for light to medium anti-armor. you often see them deployed there in trenches much like the maxim of wwI. They have a limited range (less than 3K) but are used by the ukrainians to repel infantry/mechanized infantry attacks. I wonder why we dont have a similar system? There is a video floating around from last year where a vasilek team smokes a small convoy of Russian trucks/BMPs and grad launchers. they drop like 48 rounds before the first ones hit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope that guy is wearing his fitbit
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whoever they're shooting at is pretty f'in close.
View Quote

No kidding.  I was waitin for the rounds to come back down on them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never seen one before.

http://youtu.be/X2UZgVbejns
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They are extremely useful short to medium range systems that can be mounted on trucks, towed, or fitted into APCs. They are also used in direct fire role for light to medium anti-armor. you often see them deployed there in trenches much like the maxim of wwI. They have a limited range (less than 3K) but are used by the ukrainians to repel infantry/mechanized infantry attacks. I wonder why we dont have a similar system? There is a video floating around from last year where a vasilek team smokes a small convoy of Russian trucks/BMPs and grad launchers. they drop like 48 rounds before the first ones hit.
View Quote

I'd like to see that video.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Would it not be faster if the 2 guys took turns bringing ammo to it?
View Quote

That's what  I  was  wondering .
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not the only one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Better quality video, also includes them reloading the magazine.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

You would think, but it took a long time for the explosions to start happening. I bet they had a stiff tailwind and those rounds got some serious air time.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you think that would be compatible with the available bolt-on mortar guidance systems?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top