Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:16 PM EDT
Anyone ever see any for sale? Coworker's uncle inherited an 8 gauge shotgun and wants to shoot it. I did find one seller in WI who has blackpowder ammo listed for sale but no response so far on whether it's actually available. Not looking for kiln gun ammo, but actual shotshells for a shoulder fired shotgun.

I told him if I find ammo a service charge for looking is I get to shoot it, he seems good with the idea.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ammo-one.com/8Gauge.html

Looks like it's in stock. $10 a round
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone ever see any for sale? Coworker's uncle inherited an 8 gauge shotgun and wants to shoot it. I did find one seller in WI who has blackpowder ammo listed for sale but no response so far on whether it's actually available. Not looking for kiln gun ammo, but actual shotshells for a shoulder fired shotgun.

I told him if I find ammo a service charge for looking is I get to shoot it, he seems good with the idea.
View Quote

The 00 buck at the link is only 14.95 ea,  Prolly a pretty short range session in your future.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Kiln gun shells are the main source of fired casings for 8 Gauge gun reloads.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, but those look to be kiln gun rounds, they specifically warn not to use in a firearm. I have found another site that lists hulls too, worst case we'll get it piece by piece and learn how to load it. The WI company listing the BP loads had it listed at $50/25 rounds, IF they still have any.

ETA- I figured shells would be a bitch to get if even possible, but also figured if anyone knew where to find it someone here would. If we can't feed it I at least know where the gun is, so I'll at least be able to see it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do what my friend did for his, find some empty shells and prime them.
Load it like a light 12Ga round unless you can find 8ga load info.
He cut the crimp off the top and made a cardboard wad and held it in place with wax.

It was fun to shoot but it was light loads and I am always looking for factory ammo for him.

Edit: I just looked at my cartridge collection and have a few 8ga Winchester paper hulled cases.
I will have to look in my spares boxes but if I have any extras I could send you one, no guarantee it will work due to the age but it would be a cool display piece to go with it.

Give me a day or two and I will look.
I know I got a box of them and loose ones in a trade I did for cartridges but sold/traded most of them away but I still think I have one or two left
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the WI seller I was mentioning
http://gadcustomcartridges.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]
No.

Biggest I've seen was several boxes of 10 ga. at Roses back in the early '80s, and those sat for a while, priced at $27 a box when a box of 25 12 ga. was $4.

8 gauge is legendary and almost in the realm of punt guns when they would harvest and entire flock of ducks with one shot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.

Biggest I've seen was several boxes of 10 ga. at Roses back in the early '80s, and those sat for a while, priced at $27 a box when a box of 25 was $4.

8 gauge is legendary and almost in the realm of punt guns when they would harvest and entire flock of ducks with one shot.
View Quote

Yeah, I've got a 10 gauge, ammo still runs roughly a buck a shot when I can find it. The 8, this is the first time I've heard of somebody actually HAVING one, if the seller I mentioned comes through I'm tempted to buy some, shoot 4-5, keep one for my collection and give him the rest. One gun I've always been interested in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Try ten-x ammo
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Try ten-x ammo
View Quote

Thanks, just sent off an email. Based on gunbroker, even with no available ammo the guns are bringing extreme amounts of money(2 listed, asking over $10,000). Maybe it's better if we don't try to shoot it with values like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
When was the last time 8 ga hunting guns were imported?  Seem to remember something about some in Gun Digest back in the '90's, but can't find the cite & never could chase it down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I see loaded 8 gauge shells often at gun shows in central PA.  Black plastic hulls.  They seem to be sold by several vendors.  Not sure what the prices are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
That would make a perfect SBS
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3jx3sX3x1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg

Holds 3 too many.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

A 23mm shotgun...  Want!!1

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes

Russians are too drunk to care about recoil and hurt shoulders.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Since shotguns with bores over 1/2" in diameter are exempted from NFA due to sporting clause bs and federal migratory hunting regs limit bore to 10 gauge and smaller diameter, this 8 gauge craze could backfire and make these fine guns NFA items
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Since shotguns with bores over 1/2" in diameter are exempted from NFA due to sporting clause bs and federal migratory hunting regs limit bore to 10 gauge and smaller diameter, this 8 gauge craze could backfire and make these fine guns NFA items
View Quote

Are they legal for ground critters? Like squirrels?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

I really wanted one of those when they were first imported, but waited too long.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  Since shotguns with bores over 1/2" in diameter are exempted from NFA due to sporting clause bs and federal migratory hunting regs limit bore to 10 gauge and smaller diameter, this 8 gauge craze could backfire and make these fine guns NFA items
View Quote

Hunting quail w/ an 8 ga is perfectly legal.  Not every game is duck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Reload, starting with kiln gun hulls.

Easy to do, relatively inexpensive..

OST.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:25:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last discussion I had with DNR was they are OK for upland game like pheasants-if you can find ammo. Then again, this was in the 90s when I took hunter ed. He mentioned the 10 gauge is max for waterfowl, I asked if bigger can be used on anything. He basically said "If you REALLY want to hunt with an 8 gauge, and can find shells, you can shoot pheasants with it."
Based on that, as long as your game is not migratory birds you're golden.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

All things considered, that's not too out of line. What amounts to handmade, low demand items? If the gun was mine I'd buy some.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Last discussion I had with DNR was they are OK for upland game like pheasants-if you can find ammo. Then again, this was in the 90s when I took hunter ed. He mentioned the 10 gauge is max for waterfowl, I asked if bigger can be used on anything. He basically said "If you REALLY want to hunt with an 8 gauge, and can find shells, you can shoot pheasants with it."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But every shotgun has a sporting clause exception from the BATFE unless it is under the half inch bore rule.  So with administrative rule, they could make the eight gauge an NFA item.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But every shotgun has a sporting clause exception from the BATFE unless it is under the half inch bore rule.  So with administrative rule, they could make the eight gauge an NFA item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If PETA and allies get hunting in Africa banned they could ban the big Nitro Express calibers too. I still want to shoot a .577.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks, but those look to be kiln gun rounds, they specifically warn not to use in a firearm. I have found another site that lists hulls too, worst case we'll get it piece by piece and learn how to load it. The WI company listing the BP loads had it listed at $50/25 rounds, IF they still have any.

ETA- I figured shells would be a bitch to get if even possible, but also figured if anyone knew where to find it someone here would. If we can't feed it I at least know where the gun is, so I'll at least be able to see it.
View Quote

The idea is not to shoot the kiln gun rounds, but to have hulls that can be loaded. It probably wouldn't take someone with a lathe long to come up with something to reload them as I suspect anything commercial would be a fortune.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:   But every shotgun has a sporting clause exception from the BATFE unless it is under the half inch bore rule.  So with administrative rule, they could make the eight gauge an NFA item.
View Quote

Thought we locked the Tories out of that by the budget amendment prohibiting the Sec Treas from spending any gov't money to add any more shotguns to the NFA registry.  Why the Saigas didn't get banned 'til they figured they could sanction Kalashnikov.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://www.ammo-one.com/8Gauge.html

Looks like it's in stock. $10 a round
View Quote
Those are for an industrial kiln cleaning gun

Sorry already covered
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Someone explain these kiln guns to me.  I guess they're used to knock slag off the inner surfaces.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

Want so much.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

I want one. A double would be cool.
I make a lot of extinct ammo. It would be fun to make a load for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I would so buy a semi auto 8 gauge
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:  Someone explain these kiln guns to me.  I guess they're used to knock slag off the inner surfaces.  
View Quote

Yes.  And the Russians built the world's largest pump action shotgun to chamber it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes.  And the Russians built the world's largest pump action shotgun to chamber it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Someone explain these kiln guns to me.  I guess they're used to knock slag off the inner surfaces.  

That's badass but I really don't think I'd enjoy shooting it.  Maybe just once...
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#39]

1) Kiln guns do what you suspected knock slag off walls without someone having to scrape it.  Evidently it works to this day as its still used.  

2) On the Russian 4 gauge - I think Tennessee Guns advertised they brought some of these to the US back in 1997-98.  I may still have the catalog.  I wanted one, but just couldn't force myself to pay like $995 for a novelty - Probably well worth double that by now.

Quoted:

That's badass but I really don't think I'd enjoy shooting it.  Maybe just once...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Someone explain these kiln guns to me.  I guess they're used to knock slag off the inner surfaces.  
View Quote
Kilns are hot, usually they never shut down because thermal stress would damage the refractory.  Cement kilns are the most troublesome, the product sometimes sticks halfway up the rotating cylinder, blocking flow.  So a kiln gun is used to blast the stuck clinkers off the wall.

We are talking about a 300 foot long cylinder 10 feet in diameter, inclined on a 20 degree angle.  Raw product goes in the upper, flames are shot from the other end.  As the product is cooked, it slowly flows down to the flame.  The kiln rotates slowly to make the product move.  Contaminants which melt at too low of a temperature or hot spots cause sticking clogs.

So they shut the flame off, then shoot the clog.  Usually with zinc shot as it melts and vaporizes.  Steel for harder clogs.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#41]
wall hanger
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too small, 4 gauge FTW

I bet thats unpleasent
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#43]
The kiln gun shells cannot be reloaded to use in a standard 8ga without modifiying the case.

Look at the picture of the 8ga industrial shell below, it has an extra ring of brass above the rim.  This is a safety measure to make sure an industrial shell will not fit in a standard 8 ga chamber.

You need to either cut the extra brass off, or make a special sizer to swage it down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I had to figure out a "light" load for my 7 ga. ML English fowler based on the 8 gauge ML. 2 oz shot/ 200 gr. FF.

For scale....Compared to a 870.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what i would do, find some hulls and get a safe recipe for reloading.

Even with a light payload and charge I bet it still kicks like a fucker.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Is that a fucking grappling hook?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I see loaded 8 gauge shells often at gun shows in central PA.  Black plastic hulls.  They seem to be sold by several vendors.  Not sure what the prices are.
View Quote

Kiln gun rounds are at all of the shows.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone should write a letter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Remington Master Blaster

Anybody else notice the kiln guns are suppressed?

How do they get around barrel length, suppressed, in an industrial environment?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top