Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 7:35:17 PM EDT
Grandfather passed about a year go and he was in the pacific and brought it home, my uncle gave it to me today.

Pretty sure it's an Arisaka but all the pics I've seen have the stock extend way farther down the barrel than this one,

Any help is much appreciated.

And sorry about the potato pics all I could do today.

Eta how do you embed pics here I can't figure it out for shit.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Without seeing it, I will guess sporterized Arisaka.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without seeing it, I will guess sporterized Arisaka.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of your pictures won't open, but................

You have a Japanese "Arisaka" Type 99,   7.7x58 caliber  (.311 bore diameter).

Toyo Kogyo arsenal, 34th production series.    
Probably a transitional production lot before the "last ditch" variety.  

The forend has been cut back and the stock has been sanded down and re-stained. The anti-aircraft lead sights are missing, as are the monopod and cleaning rod.

The cuts through the Imperial Chrysanthemum indicate this weapons was surrendered at the end of hostilities and not captured in battle. Captured weapons will have an intact Chrysanthemum.
Chrome lined bore is standard on these rifles. They shoot surprisingly well, though typically group very high at normal ranges because the closest setting for the rear sight is 300 meters.
Heavy rust on the trigger guard and magazine floor plate don't affect anything other than overall value.

Value in current condition =  $100 maximum, if you part it out.   Probably $60 to $80 "as is".
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I think I fixed the pics?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
1st, 2nd, and 3rd post nailed it.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They shoot surprisingly well, though typically group very high at normal ranges because the closest setting for the rear sight is 300 meters.
View Quote

How were they supposed to use them at (quite common) shorter combat ranges, aim at the round eyes' belt buckles?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like bubba got hold of it
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Type 99 in 7.7 Jap, good luck finding ammo for it
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Was probably duffle cut to get it back home, that's why the forward portion of the stock is missing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Type 99 in 7.7 Jap, good luck finding ammo for it
View Quote

You can re-form 30-06 and DIY with british 303 bullets as the 7.7mm is more or less a rimless version of the brit 303.

Moderate recoil, pretty good ballistic performance overall, not a bad cartridge if you can find it. Factory ammo runs $30-$35/box online.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a Last Ditch Arisaka.  I can tell by the Bolt handle, safety and wooden butplate.

On second thought it might not be.  The rear sight on a Last Ditch wasn't adjustable.  It was just a v notch.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone raped the daylights out of that poor ariska..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How were they supposed to use them at (quite common) shorter combat ranges, aim at the round eyes' belt buckles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They shoot surprisingly well, though typically group very high at normal ranges because the closest setting for the rear sight is 300 meters.

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Your rifle was made in Hiroshima, under Tokyo supervision.  The bolt matches too, that's a plus, many dont.

It's been sportered, as you can tell.  It's a "transitional" rifle, not quite last ditch since it doest have many of the later featureless features, probably made in early '44.  I have a 8th Nagoya that is a full last ditch, made in September of '44.

The good news is its salvageable if you want to, it would need a stock, forend,and handguard, front and middle bands, and a cleaning rod.  I'd guess you could get it right for about $200, the stock being the most expensive part.  Check ebay and numrich for parts.  If you want to restore it, send me a PM and I'll help you find parts, Japanese and Italian WWII weapons is my C&R  thing.  Ammo isn't that hard to find either, I have almost 250 rounds myself and they do shoot good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top