Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2015 4:28:15 PM EDT
So the wife and I are OTR drivers and we are taking these BLM threats seriously. My question is this; would a flare gun provide sufficient defense/deterrent if we encounter one of these dickbags? I'm considering bringing along my derringer, that I could possibly explain to an understanding leo as "shtf defense only" but it would depend on said officer's mood as to how that might end. Its a fed offense to have a firearm in a rig and we run californistan every week.

A derringer is pretty easy to hide.

With my shoes on, what would you do?

Obligatory pics of wife...

One for the leg humpers...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It would suck to get hit with 2000° burning metal so I say it would work

Also have plenty of quality tire knockers
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
No, if you need a gun bring a gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
no flare gun unless you are calling the coast guard.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So the wife and I are OTR drivers and we are taking these BLM threats seriously. My question is this; would a flare gun provide sufficient defense/deterrent if we encounter one of these dickbags? I'm considering bringing along my derringer, that I could possibly explain to an understanding leo as "shtf defense only" but it would depend on said officer's mood as to how that might end. Its a fed offense to have a firearm in a rig and we run californistan every week.

http://rs304.pbsrc.com/albums/nn200/Everett_James/Mobile%20Uploads/ATT_1414520672403_226493_340338632754405_1897900030_n_zpsssy0nwru.jpeg~320x480

One for the leg bumpers...
http://rs304.pbsrc.com/albums/nn200/Everett_James/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1440965177009_zps0nn5r36p.jpg~320x480
View Quote

A lovely read head with boots.

What was your thread about again ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Since when is it a federal offense?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

lol... They have guns right? Might work!

My biggest fear is some rookie DOT,  going gestapo on me if my derringer gets found by a k9...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My biggest fear is some rookie DOT,  going gestapo on me if my derringer gets found by a k9...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you are breaking the law right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I love how the Feds make it a felony to defend ourselves
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think that shooting at someone with a flare gun would be a pretty dramatic experience.

I would also think that the potential for lots of unintended concequences would be high.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
There are NO federal regs/DOT regs that prohibit you from carrying a firearm with you in the truck. You must obey the law of every state you pass through and of course you are not going to bring that firearm on fed property
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I just do not know how i feel about this thread.....

Later boyz

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#12]
http://askthetrucker.com/cdl-federal-gun-law/ Let me make it hot.http://askthetrucker.com/cdl-federal-gun-law/

Not a Fed law but you must obey state and local law. What about a long gun like a lever action ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

OK so derp on me. I should have checked it a little deeper. So its not a fed offense after all, what about Cali?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Later boyz
http://i.imgur.com/jC6K4gi.gif
View Quote

Background on that .gif?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Makes it easier to take the sheeple to the slaughter house.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OK so derp on me. I should have checked it a little deeper. So its not a fed offense after all, what about Cali?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I managed to spend all last week in cali drinking at bars, traveling all around (even went down to the Mexican boarder) and didn't have my glock. How I survived I will never know
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Background on that .gif?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Later boyz
http://i.imgur.com/jC6K4gi.gif

Background on that .gif?

Standard issue Russian air show
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Unlike in the movies, a 12 gauge flare would probably bounce right off of someone without causing much, if any damage,  if you even managed to hit the target.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I managed to spend all last week in cali drinking at bars, traveling all around (even went down to the Mexican boarder) and didn't have my glock. How I survived I will never know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I survived it every week for the past 27 years... You didn't cross the border and take in a Tijuana donkey show?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]
delete

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love how people have no idea what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There are NO federal regs/DOT regs that prohibit you from carrying a firearm with you in the truck. You must obey the law of every state you pass through and of course you are not going to bring that firearm on fed property
View Quote

Yep.

https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/120/kw/firearms/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzUyMDgxNTExL3NpZC9ialRxeHRhbA%3D%3D
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Unlike in the movies, a 12 gauge flare would probably bounce right off of someone without causing much, if any damage,  if you even managed to hit the target.
View Quote
Yes, it isn't likely to be incapacitating.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to the CA HTF.  They have a nice set of stickies at the top on all the gun laws.

Been a while back, but an OTR driver shot several yutes breaking in to his truck a few years ago.  About 8 miles from where I live.  It was a bad shoot but he didn't prosecute.  Said he'd never find a jury to convict.

But that was in Orange County.

If you are driving, then probably the gun in a vehicle rules apply.  Has to be away from the driver.  Pistols and AW's need to be locked and cased. Nothing can be loaded but ammo and loaded maags can be in same container.  AW laws are convoluted, some guns that you would think are AWs and some that might not be other places are.  So go and chech stickies.

If you are stopped and "living" in the cab , I believe, that it then becomes a domicile and thr laws regarding a gun in your house apply.  But not certain on that.  In any case no mags over ten rounds.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Don't truckers have briefcases any more?  I have a good old Samsonite black briefcase that's some sort of leather grain molded plastic crap with a combination dial under the handle that I've had for decades.  When I need to carry something that I don't want looked at, it sits in the briefcase.  If the cops are near, a simple spin of the number dials and it's a locked container.  If anyone asks, it's just work papers - time sheets, expense reports, receipts you need to turn in to the accounting department, etc.  Not subject to search without a court order.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Find a new job.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Define flare gun.

12ga? lol, we used to shoot those at each other as a game when I was a kid.

26.5mm/4-bore? Yeah, I probably don't want to get hit by that at a few feet... However, I doubt it would stop a determined threat, even if it is likely to injure.

37mm? Yeah, no thanks... Owwww.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://rs304.pbsrc.com/albums/nn200/Everett_James/Mobile%20Uploads/ATT_1414520672403_226493_340338632754405_1897900030_n_zpsssy0nwru.jpeg~320x480

One for the leg bumpers...
View Quote

No it's not, not at all!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]
So, the question you are really asking us is, "should I go into a gun fight with a flare gun and a derringer?"

I'm glad you asked that question, OP.  No.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love it if our nation's fucktarded laws actually made sense.

I travel most of the year and the varying gun laws in the half dozen states I frequent, what kind of guns you can have in your car, whether a pistol or a rifle can or cannot be loaded while in transport, whether a CCW permit is honored, whether the "no guns" signs have force of law...

How about we try harder to change the laws because if you're found in violation of bullshit arbitrary laws, there are many antis who'd love to ruin your life over wanting to defend yourself.

I've done my best to research every state I travel to, but half the information available is contradictory.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]

A friend of mine drives OTR with his wife. She runs in the day, he drives at night. He keeps something to defend them in the truck. Next time I talk to him I will ask the what, when, where and how thing and send you an IM.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#32]
A single tracer round is hugely illegal in California due to fire danger.  I don't think 12 Gauge Ball of Goddamn Fire is going to get very far in your "See it's not a gun" plan
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It would suck to get hit with 2000° burning metal so I say it would work

Also have plenty of quality tire knockers
View Quote

"Why, yes, officer, those are just tire tools!!!  How did all those blood and brains get on them?!?  Why, honestly, I have NO idea!!!"
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Paging Old Painless and the box of truth for flare gun test.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife looks horny in the first pic!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Who's the creepy old guy with his mits on your wife?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#37]
If it was for fending off some wildlife maybe yes.

Against people?  After one shot they'd know what was up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I think a big can of wasp spray would be your best legal option if you can't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Find a new job.
View Quote

Meh..  No thanks! The wife and I love what we do! It has the occasional shitty day, what job doesn't!? We have fun, we see shit you can't see from a cubical and we make too much money to make a career change after 27 years on the road! I'm 51 we are retiring in 5 years.

So turns out its not a fed offense after all. I was told that it was by a safety director at a company I worked for about 10 years ago, I never questioned it. Problem solved! Thanks to those who had input!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wife looks horny in the first pic!
View Quote

She usually is!! That's why I married her!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think a big can of wasp spray would be your best legal option if you can't carry a gun.
View Quote

I think OP would hate wasp spray
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Most trucking companies forbid firearms in their trucks (not a problem for Owner/Operators) and many places that truckers deliver to forbid firearms on their property (some places like refineries may even search vehicles coming onto their facilities).

Of course I've never seen anybody toss an entire truck, it wouldn't be hard to stash a pistol in a sleeper where it wouldn't be found. It's up to the OP to figure out the risk.

A flare gun is a terrible idea for self defense. If a firearm isn't an option an old school Maglight and pepper spray would be a better choice.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I would get a Rossi levergun in .357 with a buttcuff to keep ammo on it but not in it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks good to me.

Once deployed just mash on the gas

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#47]
In theory, wouldn't it be fairly easy to make a firearm impossible to find in a cab of a truck?  If you're about to become Reginald Denny, I wouldn't care if I used a suppressed M16 in the middle of Times Square.

Of course, this is only a discussion and in no way promotes or suggests any illegal action.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Just use a rape whistle. It's just as effective.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

and they are SINGLE shot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Meh..  No thanks! The wife and I love what we do! It has the occasional shitty day, what job doesn't!? We have fun, we see shit you can't see from a cubical and we make too much money to make a career change after 27 years on the road! I'm 51 we are retiring in 5 years.

So turns out its not a fed offense after all. I was told that it was by a safety director at a company I worked for about 10 years ago, I never questioned it. Problem solved! Thanks to those who had input!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Find a new job.

There's your problem.  Almost all trucking companies tell their drivers it's illegal to have a gun in the truck.  And they know better, but they're more worried about lawsuits if you use the gun than they are about their driver's lives.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top