Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 3:56:22 PM EDT
I realized I haven't shown many of my recent knives. I've been dabbling in kitchenware and that's often not very photogenic. However recently I've decided I want to go through and make some of the great knives throughout history, naturally I started with a Kephart design.

Here's the original:

Here's mine:

Here are the specs:
Blade Length: 3.75"
Handle Length: 4.75"
Overall: 8.5"
Handle Material: Micarta
Steel: 1084
Steel Finish: Forced Patina
Grind: Flat

It's not perfect though, there are a few cosmetic defects that I am sure are glaringly obvious to you professional machinists, knife-makers, and enthusiasts. However I am still just doing it for a hobby and have a long way to go. As far as my next historical piece, I am thinking either a nessmuk or a leuku.

Let me know what you think!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That is pure sex.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty neat

I like it

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell me about your patina process?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks good to me. A hell of a lot better than anything I could do
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd never heard of 'forced patina' before. Now I've seen it twice in one day. That knife is beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
That is impressive!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
We all start somewhere. Some of my early work makes me cringe. Yours looks pretty good for a novice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I see all those imperfections, to save you the trouble of someone dissing you, I'll give you $25 for it.

Really good job OP, I like the style.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn I'd be proud of that. I sure don't see ANY defect, but if you want to throw it out and start over I'll give you my address! Nice work is definitely sexy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My method is pretty simple but I'd be happy to share it. All I did was go out and buy a potato and an orange. Degrease the steel then plunge it into the potato, leave it in there over night. Then the next morning take it out and wipe it down but don't run it under water or scrub it. Then plunge it into the orange for about an hour to an hour and a half. Then take it out and wipe it down then plunge it into a new spot on the orange. Keep that in there for about 45 minutes to an hour. If you want to do it again after that feel free, but I just did it twice.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is pure sex.
View Quote

yes it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice work.  What did you use to put the edge on it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#13]
That is very nice. I really like the patina.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice work.  What did you use to put the edge on it?
View Quote

The primary or secondary bevel?

The primary I used my Pheer PH 454 grinder:

The secondary I started on the Tormek T7

and finished the edge on my favorite set of Arkansas stones. The photos were taken before I had finished on the stones. The slight hollow grind that the Tormek puts on the secondary bevel makes flattening on the Arkansas stones very easy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My method is pretty simple but I'd be happy to share it. All I did was go out and buy a potato and an orange. Degrease the steel then plunge it into the potato, leave it in there over night. Then the next morning take it out and wipe it down but don't run it under water or scrub it. Then plunge it into the orange for about an hour to an hour and a half. Then take it out and wipe it down then plunge it into a new spot on the orange. Keep that in there for about 45 minutes to an hour. If you want to do it again after that feel free, but I just did it twice.

Hope that helps!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps!

Wow, talk about K.I.S.S.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks great OP
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks cool
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes, I see all those imperfections, to save you the trouble of someone dissing you, I'll give you $25 for it.

Really good job OP, I like the style.
View Quote

Hell I ain't  a cheap-skate like some people around here, I will pay $30 for it and pay for shipping.

I like it just the way it is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate these threads.   Just shows what a talentless ass I am.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow, talk about K.I.S.S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope that helps!

Wow, talk about K.I.S.S.

Haha yeah, I've tried several other forced patina techniques but none of them give that deep marbled look like the potato and orange. The mustard one seems pretty popular because you can draw on it, where the one that I use is a lot more random in its patterns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice, I like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Good job! I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice job !  

The mustard patina was the first thing that came to mind but it looked different
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice work!  I love the Kephart pattern.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll PM you the address of where to ship it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I subscribe to a guy on youtube who makes knifes and things for dirt cheap.

He buys the $5 machetes from harbor freight and makes them into knifes.

Probably not the best knife, but it's cheap, and something to do on your free time.

Check him out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#28]
nice
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I subscribe to a guy on youtube who makes knifes and things for dirt cheap.

He buys the $5 machetes from harbor freight and makes them into knifes.

Probably not the best knife, but it's cheap, and something to do on your free time.

Check him out.
View Quote

Thats very interesting. Some people think that Nessmuk's famed knife was nothing more than a skinners knife chopped short. I found this website where a guy makes a very good nessmuk clone by chopping down an old hickory skinner and have been considering giving that a try.  The advantage to working with Old Hickory knives is that you know you are getting quality steel and heat treat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top