Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/29/2015 12:44:08 PM EDT
BREAKING: Bundeswehr Accepts HK417 As Temporary Replacement For G36 With Front-Line Troops - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/29/breaking-bundeswehr-accepts-hk417-as-temporary-replacement-for-g36-with-front-line-troops/#sthash.VjsHIXTR.dpuf
View Quote

In a surprising move, the German Defense Ministry has accepted an order of 600 new rifles and 600 machine guns to replace the troubled HK G36 that was savaged by scandal earlier this year. Their choice? The 7.62x51mm HK 417 rifle. The Local reports:

Junior Defence Minister Katrin Suder decided to spend €18 million on 600 new rifles and 600 new machine guns for frontline soldiers to replace some of the defective weapons, the Sueddeutsche Zeitung reported on Friday.

The army will take delivery of the full number of HK417 rifles, a type already in use with some special forces units, by mid-2016.

Recent tests on the new rifle have shown that it suffers none of the accuracy problems seen in the G36 under extreme conditions.

Swapping out just 1,200 of the more than 100,000 rifles used by the army will only be an interim solution for soldiers on deployment in combat zones.

But both replacements will come from the same manufacturer behind the problematic G36 rifle, world-renowned gun maker Heckler and Koch (HK).

Rifle could be changed this year

A more permanent decision about whether to replace the army’s entire stock of G36 rifles will come later this year.

We covered the G36 controversy extensively earlier this year, beginning as things began to heat up, the release of a damning report by the Ernst Mach Institute, H&K’s defense, the German Defense Minister’s condemnation of the rifle, the cover-up scandal, to Lithuania’s withdrawal from G36 procurement. We even tested a G36 for ourselves, to see if we could replicate the accuracy issues.

- See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/29/breaking-bundeswehr-accepts-hk417-as-temporary-replacement-for-g36-with-front-line-troops/#sthash.VjsHIXTR.dpuf
View Quote

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/29/breaking-bundeswehr-accepts-hk417-as-temporary-replacement-for-g36-with-front-line-troops/
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
in 308.

huh.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't make a lot of sense to switch calibers too
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
They just jumped calibers for the hell of it??
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe an easier way to justify a weapon change, without hurting HK G36 sales worldwide?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Maybe an easier way to justify a weapon change, without hurting HK G36 sales worldwide?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could have just adopted the 416 instead
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Meh, Fuck HK
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The German military pretty much already said the G36 was a POS.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet that's a heavy bitch
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps, but if it's for frontline troops, wouldn't that necessitate at the very least new mag pouches/other gear (I don't know what exactly) that may not have needed alteration if they'd just switched to another 5.56, as well as rendering useless any stocks of 5.56 these units have on-hand?  It seems like a big change for temporary measure, unless I'm seriously missing something.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Lol Germany.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Doesn't make a lot of sense to switch calibers too

View Quote
Appears that they are not replacing the weapon system - just changing rolls for a small percentage of the people who used it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:30:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Did they fuck up the numbers in that article? 600 rifles and 600 machine guns for 18 million euro?  So they are paying 15,000 euro per weapon? And in 7.62? Wtf?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did they fuck up the numbers in that article? 600 rifles and 600 machine guns for 18 million euro?  So they are paying 15,000 euro per weapon? And in 7.62? Wtf?
View Quote

News articles are a 100% factual, a 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
But they're fancy GERMAN rifles and machine guns.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep and then the bullets will keyhole after 10k rds

Sorry HK sucks in the 21st Century, just like Colt they have been passed

By
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I bet those rifles are very expensive.

I know the Marines haven't adopted the 416 or M27 on mass, because R0N said it would cost too much. And I'm betting even the Marines have a bigger budget than the Heer.

ETA: I looked it up, and not quite, but it's close. 33 billion vs 24 billion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
the 417 is already their approved dmr; as its a temporary change, when they do find a permanent replacement, the excess 417's will just be extra dmr rifles and wont have to be retired in leu of the permanent replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised ithey end up adopting the 416, this temp change would give them the time to send it through testing and trials.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if it has anything to do with the longer engagement distances encountered in theaters like Afghanistan. My unit was normally engaged from 800-1200 meters while we were in Gormach. (can't recall spelling) And from my understand that's pretty normal outside of the cities. 5.56 is next to useless at that range, which is why half way though our deployment we got a bunch of EBR's and 2 XM bolt action rifles for some of our DM's to use.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

the 417 is already their approved dmr; as its a temporary change, when they do find a permanent replacement, the excess 417's will just be extra dmr rifles and wont have to be retired in leu of the permanent replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised ithey end up adopting the 416, this temp change would give them the time to send it through testing and trials.
View Quote

This.

They bought stuff that can still be 100% useful in the future, regardless of sweeping changes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like they want more reach with more umph.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No looks like they're just using their DMR platform for the time being. I would be extremely surprised if they choose anything but the 416
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

By
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By

FF you missed the boat on this one man. First, the G36 was 20th century. Second, the 21st century has seen HK's best with 416, 417, MP7, HK45, VP9, HK121. Nothing like Colt
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha, first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HK G36 sales have been smashed by this whole hoopla anyways.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Germans stronk!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Who gives a shit, when was the last time some Bundeswehr guy even took a shot in combat at anybody since WW2? Now if the rifle say had a bottle opener for Weizens back at the compound..then maybe
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
And this is why vp9 production stopped.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder where their old G36 rifles will go. Lithuania uses G36s and G3s, wonder if they'll get these G36s to replace those clunky G3s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#30]

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a MINI-14 with a Tasco scope.    
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wonder where their old G36 rifles will go. Lithuania uses G36s and G3s, wonder if they'll get these G36s to replace those clunky G3s.
View Quote

I think they will burn them in ovens.  The Germans -- they do that you know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a MINI-14 with a Tasco scope.    
View Quote

It's all about the arty and CAS anyways...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Makes sense.

They have tons of 308 in stock, as the G3 used to be the service weapon. In that respect its also still comparable in weight to the old G3.

ETA: 416 is likely replacement of the G36, they're probably working out the contract details and discounts / reimbursements for the G36 issues.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#34]
better start doing some squats
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

They've been giving a shit ton of G36s to the Kurds for use in Iraq against ISIS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I wonder if it has anything to do with the longer engagement distances encountered in theaters like Afghanistan. My unit was normally engaged from 800-1200 meters while we were in Gormach. (can't recall spelling) And from my understand that's pretty normal outside of the cities. 5.56 is next to useless at that range, which is why half way though our deployment we got a bunch of EBR's and 2 XM bolt action rifles for some of our DM's to use.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats beyond the range of a DM as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, I'm hoping Germany decides to use Battle Rifles as their standard service rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Same here, I'm hoping Germany decides to use Battle Rifles as their standard service rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions, everyone has one. Plus it'd be nice to have a bigger flow of 308 ammo being made.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Does Germany really expect to be in Afghanistan for any longer than a handful of years?  What happens when the battlefield changes to forests and urban areas?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Eugene Stoner wins again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Why? Does Germany really expect to be in Afghanistan for any longer than a handful of years?  What happens when the battlefield changes to forests and urban areas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Forests of Vietnam didn't give the Aussies any trouble with their L1A1 rifles. The Brits used theirs in Belfast and during the Troubles. Battle Rifles are still suitable in vast varieties of terrain and battlefields.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#44]
in for Cheap 308 in a couple years!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Just send the g36 to America

All the retards on hkpro will buy them at retarded inflated prices
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Why not 416?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we should have just stuck with the 5.56 rifles?!?! Are you trolling? Tell you what, I'll get on a high ridge line in a fighting position, and shoot at you with 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R rifles, you take the 5.56 and the low ground. I, I can't even dude your a fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think they want more DMRs. Politicians can say "we're doing something" and get it done. Replacing 100K rifles isn't going to happen so quickly. With 600, they can push them into DMR positions once a more permanent solution comes through. The Germans already use the 417 as a DMR, but I suppose they were going to buy more anyways.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Needs more G3
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top