Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 10:29:50 AM EDT
I was mid swing with a sledge hammer when I felt a jolt of electricity at my waistline. I can't bend over,knell down,squat.Nothing. The pain is radiating into my hips,it hurts so bad it makes my legs quiver.

This sucks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Lay on you stomach with your upper body slightly elevated.. Helps me when I throw my back out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Sciatic nerve. Yayyyyyyyyyy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Physical Therapist.  Start calling.

In the way of GD let me completely disagree with the first post and provide a completely opposite remedy. Lay flat on you back on a hard floor with your knees bent to keep your hips flat on the ground.  This always makes my back feel better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Doctor. Steroids. Pain meds. Massage. STAT!!

You'll be back to work on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I swing a sledge hammer all day long.  Take motrin, drink water, and don't be a bitch.  Its not like you paralyzed yourself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swing a sledge hammer all day long.  Take motrin, drink water, and don't be a bitch.  Its not like you paralyzed yourself.
View Quote

I do concrete work, I swing a sledge a few hours a day also. I'm still working, currently waiting for the next concrete truck to arrive. Thanks for the advice and don't be a cunt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend after you are checked by a doctor of course self myofascial release.  It's been a God send for me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I cranked my sciatica once, a month before I was scheduled to get on my motorcycle and ride from N.J. to Minnesota.

My friend said it would go away in one day and I thought he was nuts.

Two days before the leaving date, I still couldn't get out of a chair at 10 AM in the morning.

At 3PM I walked 6 miles with my wife.

Sometime in between, the pain simply left.

I rode out two days later and never looked back.  Back, ya get it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Lay out the blanket and pillows in front of the TV.  You're in for a long weekend, so it's best to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
lol I did this while fishing two weeks ago...was almost healed and now it hurts again. FUck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Back injuries are nothing to piss with.

I wish I knew 7 years ago what I know now.

My spine is held together with 2 plates and 4 screws.

It doesn't really hold me back (No Pun Intended) because I refuse to be a victim, but it didn't have to be like this if I had been sensible about a couple of things.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do concrete work, I swing a sledge a few hours a day also. I'm still working, currently waiting for the next concrete truck to arrive. Thanks for the advice and don't be a cunt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Icy hot, heating pad, and bourbon. Lots of bourbon...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Foam rollers a great.

I jacked my back up digging fence post holes by hand years ago. laid up for a couple days then things straightened out and in was able to begin moving again.

But every once in a while it starts to go again.

I use the foam roller to stretch it out and work back into alignment.

Works great.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
heating pad works wonders
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you've dealt with this ? How long till you felt somewhat normal ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually 2-4 days. When the pain does subside, it is usually pretty quick. Just muscle tension after that with a bit of twinging.

I don't take any pain meds simply because one has to be very careful of doing more damage with the meds to mask the bodies pain defense warning you to take it easy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple weeks for it to totally go away. Lay on the floor pushing up on your arms. seems to help mine. Dont just lie around till it gets better that doesnt help but dont overdo stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the FUCKED UP BACK CLUB!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Well its worse this morning, I've broken bones that weren't as bad as this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I have arthritis in my lower back. Just move the wrong way and I'm in bed for 2 days. Is your belly button off to one side when you look in the mirror? You probably slipped a disc. 2 days and you should be OK..
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#22]
for me I lay flat on my back with my legs bent, feet flat on the floor. Then I push on my thighs and can feel the low back vertibrae seperate some and sometime pop back into place and adjust.  From there I extend my legs straight out and one at a time move one legup and over to the other side keeping my back flat.  An 8 inch hard foam roll to put on the floor and lie down on and slowly roll across can sometimes loosen things up and self adjust.  Physical therapy tech also would tie a strap to my feet and put it around his waist and slowly lean back with constant pressure, just enough to relieve the pressure on the spine . A kind of traction.  The machine he set me up on was a midevil contraption with a harness strapped to my head and upper body and straps on my ankles and pulling in each direction. It was a pain in the ass, the manual way was just as effective. and gave alot of relief to the pinched nerves. A motrin is prescribed for inflamation and may help some. Hope for you its an aggravated nerve and nothing pemanent. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Dude, this could be some bad shit.  I had to have surgery to fix mine.  Get to a doc, get an MRI so they can see the disc.  Quicker the fix, the quicker you can get to work again. Workers comp reps will drag this shit out until you are a cripple if this happened on the job.  If it was work related, lawyer up.  I've been behind the scenes to see the shenanigans used to deny a case.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Inversion table.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back injuries are nothing to piss with.

I wish I knew 7 years ago what I know now.

My spine is held together with 2 plates and 4 screws.

It doesn't really hold me back (No Pun Intended) because I refuse to be a victim, but it didn't have to be like this if I had been sensible about a couple of things.

View Quote

could you fill us/me in on what sensible things you learned?

my back seems to be getting slowly worse with time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Back spasm.

Muscle relaxers and narcotic pain meds in your future
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Welcome to the FUCKED UP BACK CLUB!!!!  
View Quote

Amen. Was at the chiropractor on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#28]
PT and keep doing the exercises. Take it slow.  I injured my back 2 years ago.  Now I am squatting 215 pounds on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#29]
If you pissed off your sciatic nerve you have my condolences.

First time I tweaked mine my doc set me up for pool physical therapy. I went into it thinking it would be a load of crap. It actually helped me tremendously.  I still have problems with it on my right side, but it has never been as bad as it was the first time.

Lower back problems suck... well any problems that cause chronic pain suck.  Good luck to you and I hope you get it under control quickly.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A couple weeks for it to totally go away. Lay on the floor pushing up on your arms. seems to help mine. Dont just lie around till it gets better that doesnt help but dont overdo stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a choice, I work 6 days a week. It would be great if it improves even a little bit by tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I pulled a muscle in my lower back last Monday morning, it finally felt better today. Wednesday I went to urgent care, got a torodol shot and prescription for flexeril. I moved a few more truck loads of stuff today, on the heating pad now
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]
No improvements. This really sucks. I've been stretching  it every way know to man, flexural, Vicodin, its pretty bad. I did work 13 hours today, that doesn't help.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

No improvements. This really sucks. I've been stretching  it every way know to man, flexural, Vicodin, its pretty bad. I did work 13 hours today, that doesn't help.
View Quote

The Joy of working wounded.

I went to work the day after blowing up my knee on the ski slopes.  It sucked.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#35]
I had an intern at the ranch back in 2011 he exposed his spinal cord in 4 places after wrecking a dirt bike at 15 mph.  His mom was a nurse and told him not to move when it happened.  He had to have titanium rods put in his back but he can walk and outwork most people that are 100%.  He has always said he did not have a pain free day since it has happened but he deals with it.  God is after this guy he also inhaled a hotdog and could not swallow or get it out of his throat for 12 hours and the doctors had to remove it.  He was going to Oklahoma State and graduated first in his school of agriculture, but since has decided to go to medical school and become a surgeon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#36]
When I was 22 I threw my back out at a physical test for a job interview (improperly grabbed a drag dummy that weighed more than me...) one year later I fucked it up again lifting something improperly. Ever since then my lower back has felt "weak" and prone to mild pain. I am only 24 but it has been a very irritating injury and I am paranoid of lifting any decent sized objects, as when I throw it out I become literally incapable of bending or lifting much of anything. It's not pain either when it gets like that... it's an inability
to move like I tell my body to.

Go to a doctor. I didn't and regret it... it might be nothing and might be something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I've done something similar once or twice. I go to my chiropractor and he takes care of it for me in typically two  visits.

I hope you feel better.

Oh, most insurance will cover the chiropractor up to 25 visits per year.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Don't be a hero OP.  Once you screw your back up you could be f'd for life.  I had about twelve rounds of epidural spinal injections over three years.  They stopped working.

I was in so much pain that even taking oxycodone and hydrocodone couldn't stop the pain.  I've been in construction since the late 90's so I'm accustomed to hurting but the back/leg pain was unbearable.

I had a microdiscectomy in June 2013 and was back home four hours later feeling like a teenager.  I have since learned what my limits are and I don't anger the back gods.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had several surgeries lots of bolts and plates holding my spine together. Dealt with all sorts of therapy for 16 years before finally letting them cut me the first time, when it got so bad I could hardly walk anymore. Including surgery and meds, the thing that took the pain away the best and instantly although as soon as I moved goofy, relief was over, was traction. They strapped me to a table at the shoulders and strapped my hips to a winch and yanked, good god did that hurt then good god did it feel so damn good, like an inversion table on steroids. It was awesome.

Surgery sucks by the way, take care of your back dude.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Well its worse this morning, I've broken bones that weren't as bad as this.
View Quote
Easy OTC med combo that works for the pain:

2 Extra-strength Tylenol and 600mg of Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours (take all at once)

If it keeps up, you should probably get it scanned to make sure you didn't rupture a disc - hopefully, it's just muscular.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Any better?

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any better?

View Quote

No, its horrible.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get about one of those a year too.

Mine always seems to happen on a chimney job though.

If you can, take a day off work and lay on the floor. I have worked through that shit before and it only gets worse the next day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't have a choice, I work 6 days a week. It would be great if it improves even a little bit by tomorrow morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need to stop working it to get it to release.

Maybe even go get a massage at a reputable place and see if they can shake something loose.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#45]
BTDT got 5 surgeries to show for it. You need to find another line of work.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope you feel better soon. Mine is held together with screws and rods. Have you tried ice and anti-inflammatories? It may help you to walk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
Really Doctor? His symptoms closely resemble herniated, or bulging disk(s), maybe even ruptured. Although, or he could have simply just pinched several nerves. IMHO damage to disk(s) are more like due to his inability to move, and amount of pain he is experiencing.

Sciatic is usually lower extremities with the the feeling of wanting to laugh because the shooting pain hurts so bad.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't be a hero OP.  Once you screw your back up you could be f'd for life.  I had about twelve rounds of epidural spinal injections over three years.  They stopped working.

I was in so much pain that even taking oxycodone and hydrocodone couldn't stop the pain.  I've been in construction since the late 90's so I'm accustomed to hurting but the back/leg pain was unbearable.

I had a microdiscectomy in June 2013 and was back home four hours later feeling like a teenager. I have since learned what my limits are and I don't anger the back gods.

View Quote

This man speaks the truth.  Listen to him. I was in the same boat 16 years ago. I was eating Lortab like Pez candy and chasing them with Scotch for a few minutes of relief.  I had surgery and woke up in tears because I was overjoyed with the feeling of no more pain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top