Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2015 3:11:19 AM EDT
When I moved in here with the wife unit, we had to have a fence put up for our K-9 brigade and it seems that the fence was put up a little short of the actual fence line (not really important on an acre with nearly no one around. So for the last couple of years the in law have started this hey you arent on your line and you need to fix your fence business. And at first I was like ok. But then it turned into a hey you dont match the lines on a piece of paper that doesnt match the line on an outdated piece of paper sort of thing. and I pretty much kinda set my foot down and said 'stop fucking with the fence sort of thing. And now I am a dick for saying hey the fence isnt really broken so stop fucking with it sort of thing. What the hell. They want to take the existing fence down and move it and they are going to reuse my no climb that is welded and set with concrete to move my fence a few feet to match a goddamn map that may or not be correct according to the county. I say leave it alone. No one else has been here for almost 15 years so who cares. The fence was to keep the k-9 units where they belong to begin with. So am I a dick?

UPDATE: So I have been doing a lot of traveling for work and I havent had the time to respond so here it is! So the thing turned into a pissing match and I finally told everyone involved that I am sick to death of hearing about the damn not broken fence. That being said They wouldnt let it go and so I finally told them "You know wars, major wars are started because of lines on a piece of paper and this is quickly turning into a civil war here" That being said I had to put my foot down and tell them that until the fence is ACTUALLY broken and/or there is a problem with other people trying to take it from me I could not even begin to worry about it. I also pointed out if they are bored, that there is a lot of other things that could use attention that should keep them plenty busy in the hottest fucking part of the year to be doing this kind of shit. So now I am pretty sure that everyone involved that AA doenst give a shit about the lines on a piece of paper as long as I am not in the wrong. So now things like drip systems that have many leaks and other actual things that need help are being addressed. And there arent any hard feelings. I guess that I wont be hearing about this for a while again since it pissed me off so badly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If I understand your OP, the fence is just inside your real property line. I say don't move it.

Have you had the boundaries of your property surveyed, or are you depending on the historical survey?

However: if your inlaws wish to pay for a new fence, by all means let them. And let 'em start with a new survey.

eta If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Let it go. If they want to pay for the fence to be moved let them.
It's not really worth the headache that WILL ensue.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmm.  bit confused here but, you shorted yourself on a fence line?
Personally I would spend 4-500.00 for a survey, have the corners clearly marked with rebar and leave the fence alone. I always recommend having identifiable property lines, as doing so will protect yourself from potential issues in the future. Property line disputes historically have been a nightmare, can cause much chaos and have the potential of being financially taxing for the wallet and health.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]

I would spend 4-500.00 for a survey.......          more like 2-3k

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I would spend 4-500.00 for a survey, have the corners clearly marked with rebar and leave the fence alone. I always recommend having identifiable property lines, as doing so will protect yourself from potential issues in the future. Property line disputes historically have been a nightmare, can cause much chaos and have the potential of being financially taxing for the wallet and health.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's 4-500.00 here to have 4 corners marked and recorded with the assessor's office.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#6]
dt

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I like knowing my lines but 15 years in I wouldn't mess with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet it's 4-500 to have 4 corners found and marked. An actual survey for 4-$500?, no way. That probably wouldn't even come close to the field work. I worked for a LLS in the late '80s. We did an urban survey involving a fence post on a property corner that was out of place by 4 inches. Survey was $8000.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
What the fuck are they doing telling you how to run your property?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#10]
if you're on someone else's property line, encroaching on their property for 10 years in Texas and they allow it..its your dirt. if your fence is inside

your property line, tell the "Rents" to chill it's good..
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
your property, your rules.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Two issues here
1)the OPs property lines

2) In-laws being controlling

I can address the first one as I have worked for a surveyor and know something about that .
Depending on how the parcel was created or cut off from a bigger piece in the past doing a survey and marking the corners and lines might be something simple and cost $300-$500 or it can be a fairly complicated thing costing several thousand . Sounds like a lot of money but it defines what you actually own and pretty much heads off any adjoining property owners claims

A good survey will show the relationship of the existing fence to the true property line .

A fence that is close but not right on the line can cause trouble down the line if you don't have a survey . This can depend on how the property was created and on other existing surveys in the area .

Contact a licensed land surveyor for  cost . He might tell you existing surveys cover you and you don't need a new survey.
Cost of a survey can seem crazy for a piece of paper and a few pipes or markers in the ground but compared to a piss fight with a neighbor that winds up in court it is a real deal

Taking the time and money to move a fence without having a good survey is just silly and could cause a big pile of trouble .

As far as dealing with the in laws- They might be on the right track with your best interests in mind or they could just be pains in the neck-your call.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Do they own the adjoining property?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I tend to agree with you about not wanting to be bullied into a hassle.
Your in-laws are just trying to be prudent and save you some hassle down the road.
I would get the corners marked with 500 buck survey those guys were talking about above and tell your inlaws " I'm not moving nothing until this place is surveyed" and that turns the tables abit and buys you some time.
They are probably right though about "marking" your territory out with the fence but sounds like your not in a urban or suburban environment so who knows?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Rebar the corners and keep the yard mowed outside the fence to the rebar.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Your house your rules. I would tell them to pound sand too,

only
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prefect.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Absolutely nothing wrong with that fence, or you saying it doesn't matter.

But you're still a dick.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell them to mind their own business.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tell them to mind their own business.
View Quote

agreed, you are an adult, you don't need anyone telling you what to do with your home, your property, your fence, etc
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#23]
You paint a vivid, clear picture.

Just kidding, I had to read that 3 times to understand what the hell is going on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
it seems that the fence was put up a little short of the actual fence line (not really important on an acre with nearly no one around.
View Quote

One acre means residential/suburban zoning in my mind.  It may not be legal, depending on your locale, to put a fence directly on the property line for the type of zoning you may have.

Check the laws, and if it's illegal, tell them so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I dont understand why your in-laws are involved here, or why you would even discuss it with them.

Tell them, MYOFB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#26]
so.... why do they care if your fence is 1-10' inside of your own property line?     are they trying to get you to put it exactly on the line, so they can benefit from it somehow, / use it as their fence, and just add on to it on their side in front and back?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Why do your in-laws care?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Why?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Either way,  you're gonna be a dick in your in laws eyes, so this is the perfect answer... if they persist in bringing up the subject, bring up a subject that's uncomfortable for them.. like maybe how hard you pounded their daughter last night...

If you're going to be a dick either way, you might as well go all out...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#30]
1.) don't let your in laws bother you.

2.) you property your rules

3.) always have your property surveyed. Pay attention to your property lines and anything that may be on your property. Advesres Possesion really sucks in some states.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll bet it's 4-500 to have 4 corners found and marked. An actual survey for 4-$500?, no way. That probably wouldn't even come close to the field work. I worked for a LLS in the late '80s. We did an urban survey involving a fence post on a property corner that was out of place by 4 inches. Survey was $8000.
View Quote

With modern GPS and mapping technology, surveys should cost less then a 10th of what they used to back when it involved more then pushing buttons.

Another profession to hate...........
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Tell them to fuck off, only.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is because the company you worked for were criminal scum and their customers were dipshits for paying that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Why do your in-laws have so much to say about what you do?

Whose property is it? (whose name(s) are on the deed?)
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#36]
If they are willing to help pay for it or help you with the labor, have at it. Otherwise your response was correct.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

You paint a vivid, clear picture.

Just kidding, I had to read that 3 times to understand what the hell is going on.

View Quote

Now that you understand can you explain it to me?  I simply could not follow.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I dont understand why your in-laws are involved here, or why you would even discuss it with them.

Tell them, MYOFB.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Save $500 and put down your own rebar stakes, it'd take someone disputing that $500 to prove it
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Most confusing post of the day.

1.  Do your in-laws live with you or next-door you?

2.  How far is a little bit? Are we talking to inches or several feet?

3.  What in the hell is a no climb?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tell them, MYOFB.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that fence, or you saying it doesn't matter.

But you're still a dick.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This.  Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Why?

Here is what I know. The BIL is in surveying and asked about it. Then the FIL did the same thing and so later on (span of a couple of years) the BIL went to the county assessors office and looked at the layout. From what I got from him THEIR drawing is vague at best and sometime after that it bacme a REAL issue with the in laws that the fence get moved. So when I finally had hit my limit my response was what exactly are we going to do with this extra space? We dont even use ALL of what I have now, and if we did the benefit is almost nothing. Couldnt even plant a decent garden there on the NEW area. Think of it as a wedge shape about 20 feet long that at its widest will be about 7 feet. THAT is what this is all about? NOPE I dont think so and they were talking about taking the entire back side fence out to "REPAIR" the fence that wasnt on the actual line. The thing is that after all this time I really just dont care. All I needed the fence for was to keep my dogs from running away and to keep coyotes and other predators away from my chickens. So this really is a non issue other than when they come to visit. And just so everyone here understands, they arent paying for all the fencing-We are.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Most confusing post of the day.

1.  Do your in-laws live with you or next-door you?

2.  How far is a little bit? Are we talking to inches or several feet?

3.  What in the hell is a no climb?

View Quote

Clarification :
1. The in laws do not live here ir even in the same state.
2. The widest part is 7 feet.
No climb is horse fencing that horses cant get their hooves into and get over the fence (I have seen it happen)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
We just had a survey done on our business property 4 years ago, total cost was under $400. I don't know where you are doing business but I am glad it isn't here.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Your inlaws have some mental issues.  The fact that they see some issue with anything contained within your property limits is absurd and concerning.  As for fencing you don't really want to put it exactly on the line, give it a few inches at least.  Just in case there ever is a legit dispute later on you have some room.  

I'm guessing they're adjacent to you is the issue?  Is your property cut out of a larger parcel that is theirs?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Your inlaws have some mental issues.  The fact that they see some issue with anything contained within your property limits is absurd and concerning.  As for fencing you don't really want to put it exactly on the line, give it a few inches at least.  Just in case there ever is a legit dispute later on you have some room.  

I'm guessing they're adjacent to you is the issue?  Is your property cut out of a larger parcel that is theirs?
View Quote

No they dont even live in AZ at all. They travel around the country doing campground hosting and working for the oil fields as gate guards when they want to have a paying job since they are retired. So no they literally dont have any real interest in this other than creating an issue from a non issue to move a fence that isnt broken. I repair multi million dollar machines for a living and I wont fix things that arent broken due to the fact that it causes needless work and other crap goes wrong usually so this falls into that category.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, that's what I thought this was going to be as well, only. was let down at original post, only. rofl, only.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:51:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

lol, that's what I thought this was going to be as well, only. was let down at original post, only. rofl, only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to be nice since it is the wife units family and I would much like to keep my domestic peace as much as possible. Thats why I never said that in so many words.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Perhaps they don't understand that the fence isn't meant as a property boundary. If you had 100 acres, would they want the fence moved to cover the whole area?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top