Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2015 12:38:54 AM EDT
This comes and goes in and out of the background, but I've either never had the right opportunity, enough motivation, or both.

A Ruger No. 1 seems like a good choice, and I want to own one in some flavor at some point, but it really seems like just getting lucky finding the right caliber at the right price at the right time.

So, with that in mind, I started looking around at what else is out there. I see the modern CVAs and the now discontinued H&Rs, but I think I want something a little more traditional, at least until I can talk myself into a .45-70 can. I've found myself looking at Trapdoors, rolling blocks, and other things, but the one that's starting to catch the center of my attention is the 1885. I knew nothing of these before today, but apparently, the 1885 was the rifle that put John Moses Browning on the map and was the start of his relationship with Winchester. It had an excellent reputation for strength and accuracy, and it was popular with long range shooters in the Creedmoor shooting matches.

I've learned this much with just a little time jamming around on the internet, but I'm wondering what knowledge or experience you all have to share.

I'm still pretty open minded about what I'll get if I do take the leap in the near future, but I think the Uberti 1885 reproduction might be winning.

Here's a really informative right up from the American Rifleman that talks about John Browning, Aldo Uberti, and the 1885: http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/8/16/old-school-cool-uberti-s-model-1885-high-wall/

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Marlin 1895 is the answer you seek.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but it doesn't have that elegance that a single-shot has.

OP, I applaud your choice: got a Ruger #1 in aught-six, love that simple, practical rifle.  If you can't get it done with ONE well-placed round, you ain't a rifleman (charging bears excepted).

And I might also point out an actual Browning prolly won't cost all that much more than the Uberti.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Do it, do it do it.
I had the same weird craving which I solved with a Browning1885 high wall.
Wonderfully accurate with a set of peep sights.
I chose the rubber pad model, not as traditional but much more user friendly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Swedish m1889 Rolling block rebarrelled to 45/70 is the answer you seek. Have them rust blue it and mount a tang sight while they're at it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Springfield 1873 Trapdoor made in 1879.

Fun to shoot and history to boot.

The gun of "The Little Big Horn".

Also have an 1884 made in 1885.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
the 45-70 was the most over-hyped marketing campaign I ever saw

marlin had every gun magazine in existence humping their 45-70 guide gun for like 6 months

if you shoot a 45 loaded down to black powder levels, it will kick like a 30-06

if you load it up to the current "hot" loads, it will kick like a 458 win mag

everyone pretends like recoil doesn't bother them but the average guy shoots like crap so there is cognitive disconnect there somewhere

that little marlin with the little skinny stock is perfect for 30-30 but with the heavy 45-70 loads it would make your eyes water

no matter how high you load the ammo, you still end up with a pumpkin trebuchet trajectory

I guess it would be a good gun if you were being attacked by 6 bears at once in canopy jungle
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Google the Sandy Hook Trials of 1879. You will find what you are seeking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no knowledge or experience but I'm pretty sure I want a Sharps.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#10]
It's low on the list, but on my list of things I want too
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 1884 Trapdoor leaning against an antique legal book case in my living room.  It's almost as tall as the case without the bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#12]

DAMITTTTT !!!

Why did I click on this thread ?      
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Back when I was originally interested, I seem to recall the 1885 not having the best reputation for accuracy.  I do not recall why, but many felt the sharps was a more accurate gun.  I think Shilo was supposed to be good if you had the time and money (last I read it was a 3 year wait).  ASSRA is the forum for this - American Single Shot Rifle Association (or something like that).  
But I here you on the 1885 - one of the most beautiful rifles every made.  Then there are the custom schuetzen rifle's.  Coin and time there as well.  For a simply 1885, my favorite was the browning BPCR.  They are a bit hard to find for cheep - Saw one in 1990 for $1500 and did not buy it.  Watched the price go over $3000 on gun broker for years, but it came back down finally.  A couple years ago Winchester released a limited addition run of them - 125 per year, changing calibers each year.  I have 0001 of 125 in the 45/70
fwiw there is a web site out their just for the bpcr iirc.
Not mine.  iirc the main difference between the winchester and the browning was Winchester bright blued the barrel while Browning mat blued it to help with glare.  1/2 round, 1/2 30" octagon - yes that is a hell of a lot of steel out front - they are not light.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Just another pic to make you run for your bunk.

1874 Pedersoli Sharps 45-70.  Nicknamed "Big Smile" because when you hand a newb that big fat cartridge and they fire it the first time they expected to get knocked back a step.  Nope, sweet easy push for recoil much like a 20ga target round.  After the first shot they turn around with a big smile on their face.

This one is accurate out to 1360 yards with a 425 lead cast bullet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you having a buffalo problem?

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't swing a dead cat without hittin' one a' the Got-damn things...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had them. Too bad they're too much for me anymore.
But, they're an experience like no other. Single shots force you to concentrate on that one shot more and know the limitations of the round forces you to hunt better.
Alas, not for this old phart anymore.  Phuqueing bariatric patients needing lifting.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the 45-70 was the most over-hyped marketing campaign I ever saw

marlin had every gun magazine in existence humping their 45-70 guide gun for like 6 months

if you shoot a 45 loaded down to black powder levels, it will kick like a 30-06

if you load it up to the current "hot" loads, it will kick like a 458 win mag

everyone pretends like recoil doesn't bother them but the average guy shoots like crap so there is cognitive disconnect there somewhere

that little marlin with the little skinny stock is perfect for 30-30 but with the heavy 45-70 loads it would make your eyes water

no matter how high you load the ammo, you still end up with a pumpkin trebuchet trajectory

I guess it would be a good gun if you were being attacked by 6 bears at once in canopy jungle
View Quote

I used to have a Browning high wall. Cyborg's summary is good. The guns are pretty and accurate. It's a reasonable choice for large game in heavy cover. Outside of that you're square pegging. The cartridge is a good one if you enjoy fiddling with different loads.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to have a browning high wall.......traded it for some bullshit gun I can't even remember

I'll buy the uberti high wall when I get a hankering for another 45/70 single shot. I really like my uberti Colt clones
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not a single shot, but I am finding myself wanting a Henry .45-70 lever action. Don't need it, hell likely wont like the recoil, but there's something about a large straight walled rifle cartridge that just makes me want to chamber a round and pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
My buddy had one of the ubertis. It was fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#22]
That Uberti Highwall is sweet. Now you've got me wanting one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting read on the subject

http://powderburns.tripod.com/sharps.html

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Take a look at Shiloh Sharps. Lots of options and very fine rifles! You do not have to wait for a custom build, they have many guns in stock!

Shiloh Sharps

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Damnit.  Now I want one.  What exactly was the rifle used by Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me at 'em...

Got any nearby cliffs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Damnit.  Now I want one.  What exactly was the rifle used by Tom Selleck in Quigley Down Under?
View Quote

Shiloh makes a "Matthew Quigley" model. It's basically a 34" barreled Sharps in 45/110 with a very nice vernier sight, double triggers, blah-blah-blah.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a pedersoli '74 Sharps.  I shoot it with a 540gr cast bullet and 60gr of black powder.  It's a hoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OP, I applaud your choice: got a Ruger #1 in aught-six, love that simple, practical rifle.  If you can't get it done with ONE well-placed round, you ain't a rifleman (charging bears excepted).

And I might also point out an actual Browning prolly won't cost all that much more than the Uberti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may sound silly, and it's completely impractical, but it's true. A pre-Remington Marlin 1895 would be the better choice if I was worried about bears or something, but I'm more interested in history and fun in general.

I have a few lever guns to scratch that itch, but I don't have any single shots that aren't bolt action .22s.

Taking a big bore falling block out on a nice day just sounds like a really good time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Handgun

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a Shiloh sharps maybe ten years ago.  Took about two years from the time of the deposit to when it was delivered.   The entire process took longer because of the goofy local gun dealer screwed the order process up initially.
.45-110, with 28" octagonal barrel.  Plain walnut for the stock.  
Got it just because.

I was able to buy it when the company I worked for was paying out some really nice profit sharing.

I would like to get one of the Italian replica Winchester 1886 in 45-70 before too long.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]

I bet that's interesting to shoot. How does it compare to .500 S&W?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, where in MO? If you want to drive up to NE IA, I'll let you shoot my .45-70 single shot. Can possibly arrange to get on the range with a rifle too, a friend of mine has 2.
Yes, the pistol is a handful.
" />
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#36]

I think you mean handSgun. Mine is very much not fun one-handed.
Is the round in the photo the Federal load? Or maybe Winchester? How's that compare recoil-wise to Leverevolution? I think I'm going to change my deer load this year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They're anywhere from "not too bad"(cowboy loads are like a mid level .44) to terrible, and that's staying in pressure levels safe for the Contender frame. Hornady Leverevolution in my 12" ported barrel is like one handing a 12 gauge with a 3" magnum.

It works great on whitetails though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I recomend you dont buy one cause if you do you will never want to shoot anything else http://www.shilohrifle.com/
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Interesting read on the subject

http://powderburns.tripod.com/sharps.html

View Quote

That is a very cool story, and it exacerbates my want of a .45-70.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#40]

We're paddlin' the same boat, Bass.

Been wanting a Sharps or an 1885 for a while now...already have the levergun .45-70, now I needs the single shot.

I regretfully passed on a C. Sharps 1874 in .50/ 2.5"...it was too light. A Big Fifty is rough in a 10 pound rifle...too much fun for my old bones.

Gonna have to push it to the back burner again, just FO'ed on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .243 and still need to buy glass for it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do it, do it do it.
I had the same weird craving which I solved with a Browning1885 high wall.
Wonderfully accurate with a set of peep sights.
I chose the rubber pad model, not as traditional but much more user friendly.

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/567/30476/11939126_1_l.jpg
View Quote

My brother has one of these.  Lots of fun.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

That or Indians.  And that open season has been closed for over 100 years.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's not a single shot, but I am finding myself wanting a Henry .45-70 lever action. Don't need it, hell likely wont like the recoil, but there's something about a large straight walled rifle cartridge that just makes me want to chamber a round and pull the trigger.
View Quote

I have one...heavy recoil?   yep...smile inducing?...most definitely.  It's a sweet rifle with an action that feels like melted butter.....get yourself one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It was a Shiloh Sharps.

More here about mine:  The Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a Shiloh Sharps.

More here about mine:  The Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express

Mine is identical in appearance, except it's a Pedersoli in .45-70
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I shoot H&R single shots. The Remington 405 is soft on the shoulder. Even better, I reload with Trail Boss for loads that kick like a 22 Mag and can still kill a whitetail. It is a fun plinking gun 50 weeks out of the year. Had Marlin Guide Guns. Meh.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#47]
I've always wanted a .45-70 as well..

just never found one I liked, that I could afford.

Almost got one of the H&R's (?) but found a lot of user comments that the thing doesn't have any weight to it and could be a bear to handle on each shot..

you think AR rounds are expensive? they are really cheap by comparison to the .45-70
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I've got a Ruger No. 1 in it's bigger brother, .458 Win mag.   I've promised myself that I'm going to kill a deer with it this year, just because.  It's a hell of a gun to shoot, but I love the simplicity of it, and I've gotten used to the recoil now that I've loaded up some lighter, faster loads.  Hornady's leverlution bullets are NICE btw, even for roll your own purposes... much more consistent accuracy at range.  

Honestly, though, if I were to buy another .45-70, I'd start trolling gun shops and gunbroker for a used guide gun from before the ruining of Marlin.. they are amusing as hell, and you have 4 rounds on tap.  I've killed many pigs and deer with mine, it's just a handy little rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Fuck that did not look fun.  Didn't know Bond arms made an Alaskan special, might have to put that on the list.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#50]
I have one of these from the late 1800's.

I like it.

But at 200 yards it is like using a mortar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top