Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/28/2015 6:22:47 PM EDT
Very serious.

One of my friends with relatively little firearm experience is convinced that on average the AK has good accuracy overall and that the 'accuracy thing is a myth' regarding AKs.

Yet for me, I don't know a single person that I've met that has had a AK that performs better than 3" at 100yds, Most tell me they're in the 3"-5" range. I realize alot of this can do with shooting style, yet even for me, my yugo AK with Golden Tiger (Which I'm told is the best stuff you can find outside of M43) is still a 3"-4" gun at 100yds AT BEST. Most of what I see is 5" and that puts the AK n the range of a mini-14 in terms of accuracy. Not that the gun is totally unusable, but beyond 300 yards I wouldn't hope to hit much of anything, especially in a life or death scenario.

Meanwhile every.single.AR. I've had does better than 2" at 100yds, most of the time from a prone position I can do 1.5" or even a little better, with a scope it's even better.

So, am I correct in what I'm seeing with AK trashcan accuracy or totally wrong?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
3-5MOA

Much Halal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
With an AK, You couldn't hit the side of a barn even if you were standing inside of it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Within normal engagement distance its adaquete
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if you had the muzzle pressed against the wall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Good enough to do the jobs for which it was designed... parade duty, third-world depopulation, unarmed dissident shooting, and occupying infantry conscripts' hands so they can't break as much stuff.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With an AK, You couldn't hit the side of a barn even if you were standing inside of it.
View Quote

with the door closed
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

with the door closed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

with the door closed

The guy holding the ak would be too distracted by the goats in the barn.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]
It'll probably blow up in your hands first.

Russian=crap.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
They really are pretty much junk.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Even at 6 MOA, that's a hit on a man-sized torso at 200+ yards.

They are not and were never really intended to be precision instruments.

I'd be curious to know how your friend defines "good accuracy overall".
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

WW2 distances? Korea? Vietnam? Iraq? Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Same accuracy as an off the rack AR really.  They're pretty good for what they are.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#13]
in Soviet Russia, AK47 shoots you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess he hasn't defined it properly, but for me and another friend, we defined accuracy as hitting a torso sized target at 300yds. Both of us felt quite confident with our ARs we could do it without much of a thought, both of us also own AKs and do not feel confident that we would be able to do it should the need arise without multiple follow up shots.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Gotta be worst than a  Dragunov right? A guy in our club had one and was barely able to break clays at 50yds. I dont wanna imagine an AK.  

and yes the guy could shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Average  rifle engagement distances during those various conflicts probably aren't nearly as disparate as a lot folks think.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on which make, and what ammo you're using.

Eastern European and Russian stamped guns, about 4 MOA average.

Billet receiver with East German or Finnish Defense Forces ammo, 2 MOA or less.

This isn't based on what I read on the internet, but years of shooting them dating back to 1990's.  

Valmet Rk62 and SAKO Rk 92 or 95 are extremely accurate guns, but are not really AK's when you look at how they're made.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same accuracy as an off the rack AR really.  They're pretty good for what they are.
View Quote

No.

AKs I've shot off the bench were pie-dish accurate at 100 yards.   A bit worse than my old Mini-14 trunk gun.

My off the shelf ARs shoot business-card sized groups of ten.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Honestly, with those pitiful sights, the intrinsic accuracy of the AK doesn't matter a whole lot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Valmet Rk62 and SAKO Rk 92 or 95 are extremely accurate guns, but are not really AK's when you look at how they're made.
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This isn't based on what I read on the internet, but years of shooting them dating back to 1990's.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Those are different beasts than the typical AK pattern. I'm specifically talking about AK47s and AK47M styles.

Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

AKs I've shot off the bench were pie-dish accurate at 100 yards.   A bit worse than my old Mini-14 trunk gun.

My off the shelf ARs shoot business-card sized groups of ten.

So far I have yet to shoot an AR that groups worse than 2" from a benchrest with any kind of ammo
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
in Soviet Russia, AK47 shoots you.
View Quote

What about Romania?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]
It should be good for minute of trashcan accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#24]
In my experience, AKs are *way* more accurate than a Mini-14 or Mini-30.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#25]
With a WASR and tula ammo I get 8 MOA at 100yds. I'd love to try some different ammo in it but beer money comes first.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#26]
There are a lot of dead soldiers, Marines, and sailors who would probably disagree with the know it all's who think it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Good enough for the Red Army.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#28]
from my experience with my 6 ars and 2 aks i get about .5 moa-2 moa with my ars and 3-5 moa with my aks. if your friend is after accuracy tell him to build an ar. you can buy a larue or rainier barrel and you will have a sub moa gun. it has never been cheaper to build an ar.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can ring 6" steel at 200 yards with every shot from my basic BCM midlength using surplus ammo. Not so much with any of my AKs.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd take a full auto AK.  Semi, meh.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's been my experience, at least with iron sights. Then again I was never  as "sight sensitive" as some here seem to be.

In fact I was really surprised at how accurate my AK-74 (older OH Ord. build) is....And I have old eyes.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it was Fortier who was embedded with some Army or Marine unit in Iraq.  He wrote an article for one of those periodicals like Book of the AK.

While embedded with this unit, they were able to recover some of hadji's AK ammo.

They did a cross section of the bullet.  Its steel or tungsten penetrator was off center.  So I would imagine the bullet once it was spun up, during its flight wobbled a lot.  Imagine a clothes washer with a load out if balance or if your car tire were to throw off one of its wheel weights.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More likely encounter riot control or looters out to 50yd
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Polish underfolder kit from Sportsman Guide built on a homemade receiver.

Prone at 100 yards.

Wolf ammo

Yugo ammo

German ammo

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's been my experience, at least with iron sights. Then again I was never  as "sight sensitive" as some here seem to be.

In fact I was really surprised at how accurate my AK-74 (older OH Ord. build) is....And I have old eyes.

http://oi50.tinypic.com/34j9c9w.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2zs31bd.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the most part I was talking about AK47s and Aks using 7.62x39 not 5.45x39, the 5.45 guns seem to do much better overall than those chambered in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
My Krebs -74 was a pleasure to shoot and actually shot pretty well... for an AK. 2" groups at 100.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think it was Fortier who was embedded with some Army or Marine unit in Iraq.  He wrote an article for one of those periodicals like Book of the AK.

While embedded with this unit, they were able to recover some of hadji's AK ammo.

They did a cross section of the bullet.  Its steel or tungsten penetrator was off center.  So I would imagine the bullet once it was spun up, during its flight wobbled a lot.  Imagine a clothes washer with a load out if balance or if your car tire were to throw off one of its wheel weights.
View Quote

Home made, not factory produced
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can see that in one of Larry Vickers recent AK-74 vids.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#39]
its a bullet hose. how accurate does it need to be?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Will it make one jagged hole at 100 yards like everyone with an AR says theirs does? No. But, it will hit a man size target at distance just fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I guess he hasn't defined it properly, but for me and another friend, we defined accuracy as hitting a torso sized target at 300yds. Both of us felt quite confident with our ARs we could do it without much of a thought, both of us also own AKs and do not feel confident that we would be able to do it should the need arise without multiple follow up shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what to do.

Gather your friends and get to a 300 yard range.

Walk your talk, buddy!

ETA - no personal experience with the AK-74, but I'm under the impression that the -74 is more accurate than the -47.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I was able to do this at around 80 yards. I was using an adjustable peep sight in the stock location.

ETA: Group probably started to open up when it started to heat up, this was a 20 round rapid fire group, more or less. I think I was using Silver Bear soft points, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Very serious.

View Quote

You're posting in the wrong place.
Try the AK forum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

For the most part I was talking about AK47s and Aks using 7.62x39 not 5.45x39, the 5.45 guns seem to do much better overall than those chambered in 7.62x39.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Build quality is everything. In my experience AKs are sort of like optics, you get what you pay for.

My milled SA-M7 Arsenal in 7.62 X 39 is just as accurate as the '74.

I have a WASR 10/63 under-folder that is of the 3 MOA variety. Fun as all get out though, that's why I still have it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#45]
1. Depends on the AK. They aren't all the same, anymore than AR platform rifles are.
2. Most commercial AK ammo isn't the best stuff in the world.
3. AK sights suck ass compared to the AR.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#46]
i can't comment on the difference in mechanical accuracy between the AR and AK--i just don't have the numbers.  but i will tell you the following with absolutely no hesitation:

take your friend out to the country with an AR and an AK.  don't mess with KD or groups--just pick out targets (stumps, cans, bright-colored rocks) at random, and have him try to hit them with the AK.

then hand him an AR with irons, and you will watch his hit rate improve dramatically.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#47]
If you can see him well enough to know you need to shoot him, you can hit him every time with an AK. I believe that expecting 5" @ 100m mechanical accuracy  with assorted ammuniton is fair.

74s are a bit better, accuracy wise. Many eastern optics for the 74 and 100 series guns recommend a 400m zero.

Personally, I have seen 2 to 5" with 7.62 and 1.5 to 4" with 5.45.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Most AK's are 2-3 MOA guns with good quality ammo and a good shooter.
Some are 1-2 MOA with handloads and a excellent trigger puller.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:14:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just how accurate? I had someone tell me he did 1 MOA with his issued Rk (think it was a 95). I find that hard to believe for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Garbage gun is garbage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top