Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2015 5:44:03 PM EDT
Apparently someone bought a big pile of clothes on my dime today.

A few assholes got busted today with some skimmers after making a purchase with a phony credit card at a grocery store.

I'll call the arresting agency. Maybe they're linked. The store that took my money is in Sweden and is unique enough that if it's in their browser they're fucked.
http://hope-sthlm.com/
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks brother!  I have learned after getting hacked twice to always pay inside at gas stations (never pay at pump using pin #) and to check my accounts every day just incase.  Usually skimmers make a small purchase to test, then bam they get you!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Throw away your debit card and don't replace it.

Sorry to hear about that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch.
Do you keep some cash stashed for emergencies?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, two fails in the first two posts. Don't ever use YOUR MONEY (use a CC), and never use a PIN.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks brother!  I have learned after getting hacked twice to always pay inside at gas stations (never pay at pump using pin #) and to check my accounts every day just incase.  Usually skimmers make a small purchase to test, then bam they get you!
View Quote

I'll get my money back. I just need to buy groceries and gas sooner than my credit union will refund my money.

Will the store be out the money ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
This would qualify to use your emergency fund.
Yes I don't think PISSED would be close enough to label it if it was me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Best I can do is offer you a high interest, predatory loan, OP.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guys, two fails in the first two posts. Don't ever use YOUR MONEY (use a CC), and never use a PIN.  

View Quote

Either way it's insured, but yes, credit cards if paid in full each month is smart, especially if you get reward points/cash rewards etc.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a small local credit union for savings/loans. But I like a big bank for my direct deposit to go into...the same thing happened to me a while back, and within an hour, bank of america credited the charges and I had my money back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'll get my money back. I just need to buy groceries and gas sooner than my credit union will refund my money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not likely.  The CC company usually gets to eat these.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a PIN is used, I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with "the credit card company". Never use a PIN, even if a debit card is your only option, run it as a credit card and VISA/MC (should be a logo of one or the other on your card) will run the transaction and you are protected under their terms. No matching signature on the sales slip, not your issue. I hope not, but the bank could tell the OP to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Sorry to hear that OP

With that being said you guys need to get rid of those dam debit cards and get a credit card.
You can review and dispute any charges before you pay your bill every month.
In fact a cc company may have caught that transaction happening.
My cc companies have caught the 2 fraudulent purchases on my cards before I did.
One was in the act of happening when they called me on a Saturday afternoon.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a small local credit union for savings/loans. But I like a big bank for my direct deposit to go into...the same thing happened to me a while back, and within an hour, bank of america credited the charges and I had my money back.
View Quote

Two weeks, minimum.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that OP

With that being said you guys need to get rid of those dam debit cards and get a credit card.
My cc companies have caught the 2 fraudulent purchases on my cards before I did.

View Quote

My credit union's fraud division called me at work but cell phone use is prohibited while on the clock.

It'll get handled, but not speedily.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn that sucks, my Credit Union had our money back in 6 hours and the Wife had a new card printed that morning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.

I don't understand why people use debit. CC, cash, or ApplePay for me.

Sorry, OP
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My credit union's fraud division called me at work but cell phone use is prohibited while on the clock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that OP

Are you not allowed to use the bathroom on the clock?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any silver or gold stashed away? You should be able to gas and groceries with that
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
People still use banks?

95% of my money is not in banks. For this reason and about a dozen other reasons.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do you have any silver or gold stashed away? You should be able to gas and groceries with that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, I was going to order more silver and a Jerry can with this check. I have a full Jerry can to top off my tank. Eventually I'll have six or more cans, but one will cover this problem. The food will be coverd, too.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you need to continue to live in our society I recommend three accounts at your S&L or bank.

1. Credit card account with enough money
2. The overdraft account with the minimum amount.
3. Savings NOT linked to the first two.
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#24]

She'll front you some cash
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Word! My Chase CC purchases hit my phone within a second or two of being made. If I didn't make the charge, I'll know about it the second it hit's my account.

I pay it off every month...and I have a record, categorized, of every penny I spend.

Hard to find a better solution.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Indeed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you need to continue to live in our society I recommend three accounts at your S&L or bank.

1. Credit card account with enough money
2. The overdraft account with the minimum amount.
3. Savings NOT linked to the first two.

Indeed.

How does one go about doing that? I have my local credit union for debit/savings/checking/direct deposit, then I have my credit card through Cabela's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#27]
#swedishlivesmatter
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

I'd work out a treaty or two with her!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hear that OP

Jeebus, man...what kind of fucked up place won't allow somebody to answer a call from their bank's fraud department?

If it was me...they'd just have to understand. Piss break.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]
this is why you use a credit card. if there is fraud, it's the bank's money that is stolen, not yours. yes, you'll get it back, but not fast...
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#31]

When, if ever is. Debit appropriate?

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jeebus, man...what kind of fucked up place won't allow somebody to answer a call from their bank's fraud department?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that OP

It showed up as a nameless 1-888 number. I had no way to know who it was. I'll answer if it's family or certain friends, but not a toll-free number.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chip and Pin credit cards

Coming soon.

Some stores are already prepping the objective by going chip and signature.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When, if ever is. Debit appropriate?

View Quote

Never really.  I don't even carry my debit card with me.  For cash, I'll usually go into the branch, get $$ and have them break it into smaller bills for me.  If the teller is a hot female, I'll ask for ones and watch how she counts it out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Two weeks, minimum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two weeks, minimum.

This happened to me last year.

BofA refunded the money that day in temporary credits while they investigated and made them permanent.

I also now use a CC for everything. Much easier to reverse/deny charges than to give your money back.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry 4 u JB.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Word! My Chase CC purchases hit my phone within a second or two of being made. If I didn't make the charge, I'll know about it the second it hit's my account.

I pay it off every month...and I have a record, categorized, of every penny I spend.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I do.  My GF still uses her debt card for everything.  Drives me nuts
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#38]
if your in the UP.

i'll loan you some cash till you get your money back.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Coming soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming soon.

My credit union told me my replacement card will be like that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#40]
That is why I refuse to have a debit card. you have no protection. You would think people would learn.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That is why I refuse to have a debit card. you have no protection. You would think people would learn.
View Quote

Depends on the bank.

BOFA as hated as they are, made it right.

Now we use all CC's
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Apparently someone bought a big pile of clothes on my dime today.

A few assholes got busted today with some skimmers after making a purchase with a phony credit card at a grocery store.

I'll call the arresting agency. Maybe they're linked. The store that took my money is in Sweden and is unique enough that if it's in their browser they're fucked.

http://hope-sthlm.com/

View Quote
What ever  defective, ill advised  payment instrument you have  linked to your  "wealth storage" STOP now.

.Protect your assets.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Coming soon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming soon.

I like my accounts to be super secure, so I got one of those cards, I can post a picture of it if anyone is interested!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming soon.

No issue with them.  They go both ways.  Have the magnetic strip and also the chip.  All the Walmarts around here(Sandhills of NC) and a couple other shops have converted their card readers for chips.

I've been hit with credit card fraud a few times.  It's a pain in the ass, but has so far always worked out with me owing nothing.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#46]
shit man that blows,,  

i have a small emergency cash fund but i realize not everyone has that luxury
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes

Thus is exactly why we use credit cards
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

My credit rating isn't even a number. It's some guy pointing at me and laughing. No credit card for me.

Yes, I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People still use banks?

95% of my money is not in banks. For this reason and about a dozen other reasons.

View Quote

good luck getting a home loan in the future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top