Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/25/2015 8:52:48 PM EDT
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding a neighbor issue. Almost three years ago a middle-aged couple moved in next door. They both have kids from previous marriages but the kids don’t live w/ them. For the first year everything was relatively okay, although it was apparent that dude was home all the time and apparently didn’t work, and dudette runs a salon out of their house.

One night dude has a couple of friends over to drink on his backyard patio which happens to be near my property line and close to my bedroom window. It started getting late and they were making noise, cussing, etc. so I asked them to break it up or else move it inside. He apologized and that was that. A few months later they had another late-night patio party. No attempt to keep the noise down. I had to get up early the next morning to travel so this time I called the police. The police show up and ask them to quiet down or break it up. After the police left the neighbors had a fit, yelling from their yard and cussing me out. I called the police again and they asked them to pipe down a second time. Dudette went inside and dude sat in his backyard and whistled on and off until about 3:00 AM in an attempt to annoy me. I let it go.

His late-night whistling was strange so I looked him up. Found out that he had a protection order served against him by his previous neighbor for “adult abuse with stalking.” Great. Next we have the dogs. They got two big dogs and decide to leave them outside from dawn until after sundown. Barking early in the morning... if I go into my backyard they pace back and forth along the fence and often bark. This is in addition to the many other annoying things that they do like running a leaf blower early every single morning including weekends, early lawn mowings, etc. Finally one day I get fed up with the dogs barking at me and I kick the fence and tell them to be quiet. Dude and dudette come out and we have a confrontation. A couple of nights later they hatch a scheme where they scratch up the back door of their house and call the police to claim that I tried to break in.

The police see immediately that they’re full of shit, take the report and that was the end of that. Now dude attempts weird forms of harassment like sitting outside late at night in the dark, doing things like making owl noises. Every few weeks he pipes up and yells insults and obscenities at night from his backyard.

The police advise that I ignore him and call them when these incidents occur, which I do, but I feel like there really isn’t much that they can do about it. The latest advice I’ve been given is to get security cams to record the crazy shit he does. Moving seems to be my best option but it amazes me how easily it is for them to harass others and get away with it. I feel that if I do what I would really like to do to try to correct the situation, I will appear to be the bad guy and face possible charges. One could chalk it up to typical neighbor problems but I think this goes beyond that because of the former protection order, attempted framing for breaking & entering, late-night harassment, etc.

If anyone has experience with these sorts of situations I sure would appreciate some advice!

Thanks,
Jimmy
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I need some advice regarding a neighbor issue. Almost three years ago a middle-aged couple moved in next door. They both have kids from previous marriages but the kids don’t live w/ them. For the first year everything was relatively okay, although it was apparent that dude was home all the time and apparently didn’t work, and dudette runs a salon out of their house.

One night dude has a couple of friends over to drink on his backyard patio which happens to be near my property line and close to my bedroom window. It started getting late and they were making noise, cussing, etc. so I asked them to break it up or else move it inside. He apologized and that was that. A few months later they had another late-night patio party. No attempt to keep the noise down. I had to get up early the next morning to travel so this time I called the police. The police show up and ask them to quiet down or break it up. After the police left the neighbors had a fit, yelling from their yard and cussing me out. I called the police again and they asked them to pipe down a second time. Dudette went inside and dude sat in his backyard and whistled on and off until about 3:00 AM in an attempt to annoy me. I let it go.

His late-night whistling was strange so I looked him up. Found out that he had a protection order served against him by his previous neighbor for “adult abuse with stalking.” Great. Next we have the dogs. They got two big dogs and decide to leave them outside from dawn until after sundown. Barking early in the morning... if I go into my backyard they pace back and forth along the fence and often bark. This is in addition to the many other annoying things that they do like running a leaf blower early every single morning including weekends, early lawn mowings, etc. Finally one day I get fed up with the dogs barking at me and I kick the fence and tell them to be quiet. Dude and dudette come out and we have a confrontation. A couple of nights later they hatch a scheme where they scratch up the back door of their house and call the police to claim that I tried to break in.

The police see immediately that they’re full of shit, take the report and that was the end of that. Now dude attempts weird forms of harassment like sitting outside late at night in the dark, doing things like making owl noises. Every few weeks he pipes up and yells insults and obscenities at night from his backyard.

The police advise that I ignore him and call them when these incidents occur, which I do, but I feel like there really isn’t much that they can do about it. The latest advice I’ve been given is to get security cams to record the crazy shit he does. Moving seems to be my best option but it amazes me how easily it is for them to harass others and get away with it. I feel that if I do what I would really like to do to try to correct the situation, I will appear to be the bad guy and face possible charges. One could chalk it up to typical neighbor problems but I think this goes beyond that because of the former protection order, attempted framing for breaking & entering, late-night harassment, etc.

If anyone has experience with these sorts of situations I sure would appreciate some advice!

Thanks,
Jimmy
View Quote

A thread so nice, you started it twice.

Are they renting or buying?
and you?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You need camera's with audio.

End of story.

Camera's are good for things other than shitty neighbors also.

Point a couple right at that fuckheads house, make sure you have IR lighting so as to document all his craziness.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
You are kind of a dick for just calling the cops right off the bat without telling them like last time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a rough situation.  These people are so pathetic that they spend so much of their time thinking of ways to fuck with you.  Unfortunately it seems like moving is the only easy solution.  Like you said, cops won't do anything for you.  Good luck man.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 9 security cameras.  You should have one covering his house and the front and back of your house.

You won't be sorry you did it, and you will have irrefutable proof to dispute his bullshit claims.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are kind of a dick for just calling the cops right off the bat without telling them like last time.
View Quote

Kind of agree here...

Get security cameras to CYA too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
In.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

These neighbors don't have to get up and work like normal people, so they lack the consideration that most working slobs who live in sub-urban hell holes give each other.

These assholes need to rent a country house on 10 acres out in the county.

The OP asked them once to cease the noise because he had to work the next day.  How many times does he have to remind them before calling the cops is okay?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
[Removed - sure sounds like a crime to me - Paul]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

End of story.

Point a couple right at that fuckheads house, make sure you have IR lighting so as to document all his craziness.

View Quote

I don't know much about security cams, any recommendations? Also is it legal to point them straight at his house or am I going to deal with another shitstorm about privacy invasion if I do that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I've had that happen to me. Had no idea it was too loud. Every time there after they'd call the cops like bitches too, instead of just coming over. It's not like it happened often AND I took precautions to quiet it down when I had get togethers. Even the cops saw that. Hell, I talked with my other neighbor several times to make sure they were okay and they were. So it's not like I didn't give a fuck or purposefully try to fuck with them afterwards. Several friends wanted to but I advised against that. Some people just want to be miserable.

I'm calling a case of two assholes colliding here. And get earplugs, seriously they are savers for travelers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Moving is your best option the way I see it.

Documenting it with a camera is fine, but what they hell will that accomplish? Take him to court about him harassing you and the best you get is maybe a restraining order? But wait a minute, he lives next door.......What are they going to or can do to the guy? Yes, I know it sucks, but that's life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Talk to the guy that got the restraining order previously.  Maybe he has a few tips on dealing with this asshole.  Keep a log of interactions.  Get cameras with audio.  Is it against the law to run a business in that zoning?  I've got great neighbors -- sorry you have assholes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know much about security cams, any recommendations? Also is it legal to point them straight at his house or am I going to deal with another shitstorm about privacy invasion if I do that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

End of story.

Since you asked, here's a forum just for that

With an example thread here
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking you need a chipper/shredder. And you need to run it at dawn. I also think you need a compost pile for your garden, with the freshest manure you can get hold of, and locate right there next to that patio. some crazy 300W security floodlights too...yeah, you're gonna need those on a hair trigger. Get some heavy curtains on your new triple pane windows and another layer of sheet rock along the inside of that outer wall with a small air space between, and your all set.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
The police see immediately that they’re full of shit, take the report and that was the end of that. Now dude attempts weird forms of harassment like sitting outside late at night in the dark, doing things like making owl noises. Every few weeks he pipes up and yells insults and obscenities at night from his backyard

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a case of beer and go knock on his door one night, offer your apologies and try to work things out civilly.
When he drinks all the beer and tells you to F off.
Pull out your 44 magnum and stick it in his ear and tell him to shut the F up, cuz you are done playing games.

OR
just ignore him till he gives up, if you show no reaction he will lose interest

OR
You could ned flanders him to death ... HIDDY HO NEIGHBOR

OR
You could push him till he does something illegal and then gets locked up.

Start recording with video each instance, in case this goes to court.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Do they have brick or wood siding house? You know what needs to be done.

ETA: Goad him into coming after you and beat him into submission and then fuck his cunt of a wife and mail him the pics. Fuck living next to those cunts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, but yea, neighbors are bat shit crazy. Maybe try to apologize for calling the police, since calling them more isn't going to do anything. Sounds like they are crazy enough and have the will to fuck with you beyond reason, I think you have to try to make nice, or SSS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This, but yea, neighbors are bat shit crazy. Maybe try to apologize for calling the police, since calling them more isn't going to do anything. Sounds like they are crazy enough and have the will to fuck with you beyond reason, I think you have to try to make nice, or SSS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After the first police incident when I got back home from the trip I approached them and attempted to make nice. I explained my position and told them calling the police wasn't anything personal but I needed rest and had already asked nicely once before. I did try to make it right but it obviously didn't help.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#21]

You had other options...

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The police see immediately that they’re full of shit, take the report and that was the end of that. Now dude attempts weird forms of harassment like sitting outside late at night in the dark, doing things like making owl noises. Every few weeks he pipes up and yells insults and obscenities at night from his backyard

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/af/71/a7/af71a72783b5a4bc97f65878065dc573.jpg
View Quote

Fucking epic reference.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm thinking you need a chipper/shredder. And you need to run it at dawn. I also think you need a compost pile for your garden, with the freshest manure you can get hold of, and locate right there next to that patio. some crazy 300W security floodlights too...yeah, you're gonna need those on a hair trigger. Get some heavy curtains on your new triple pane windows and another layer of sheet rock along the inside of that outer wall with a small air space between, and your all set.
View Quote

Dude you have a gift. Thanks for that lol. I'll probably devote that effort to moving instead but good stuff there!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#24]
first buy several exterior cameras with audio and IR night vision, make sure they cover all of your grounds.  i have a set that has pre-set motion zones that auto record and can even alert my phone if there is movement there during certain hours.  next call the SPCA on the dogs, there are very strict rules on how long dogs can be outside in some areas.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

After the first police incident when I got back home from the trip I approached them and attempted to make nice. I explained my position and told them calling the police wasn't anything personal but I needed rest and had already asked nicely once before. I did try to make it right but it obviously didn't help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell us again how calling the police instead of grabbing some like a man should not be personal..
You lack testicular fortitude.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you own or rent?

Does your asshole neighbor own or rent?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#27]
When unsuspecting Arfcommers discover that they are neighbors.....

Franky, it's over.  This is the kind of person that NEEDS conflict.  He needs someone that he legitimately feels wronged by in order to focus his energies.
He will not let go of those because he NEEDS this.

You walked into it and now it is your metaphoric herpes.

Call a Realtor tomorrow.  I'm not joking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get a can of spray foam insulation. Add a length of plastic tubing about 4 feet long to the nozzle.

Spray a bunch as deep in his exhaust pipe as possible.

Profit as he'll never be able to figure out why his car won't start.

Hell, depending on where he has it towed, they might not figure out out either.
View Quote

I really like this idea...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you own or rent?

Does your asshole neighbor own or rent?

View Quote

We both own. Well, as much as you can call paying a mortgage owning. I don't know the details of their mortgage but I do know that he is being sued by a creditor and also recently was ordered to pay about $11,000 in back child support plus make monthly child support payments. In the same hearing the judge also granted his drivers license back to him :-)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When unsuspecting Arfcommers discover that they are neighbors.....

Franky, it's over.  This is the kind of person that NEEDS conflict.  He needs someone that he legitimately feels wronged by in order to focus his energies.
He will not let go of those because he NEEDS this.

You walked into it and now it is your metaphoric herpes.

Call a Realtor tomorrow.  I'm not joking.
View Quote

Yep I think you nailed it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
We are dealing with some asshole neighbors, not to your degree OP, but more along the way of violating rights of an easement.

They have made claims that we don't pwn the land, PD refuses to stop them parking on our property, driving across it, making modifications to our property without permission.

We have trail cams everywhere now, they have documented quite a bit. We have dogs and one of the complaints is our dogs bark all day and night, which was BS, they are indoor dogs and only alert on strangers or people that don't belong, per the county, 20 minutes of constant barking at night and 1 hour during the day. We make sure we are way under that.

Your situation does sound tough, if renting, move, if owning, I would CYA.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#33]
If you live in the city go to the municode website and look at the codes for your town.

You may be surprised at the amount of barking dog complaints, harassment complaints, disorderly conducts, etc you can sign against your neighbor.

If you live in the county check the county codes.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Politely approach your neighbor, and ask if you can talk.

Tell him you want to show him somthing.

Show him a photo of a nice big hole next to a mound of dirt, and calmly explain that his bullshit is going to stop one way or another, and the hole is already dug ;-)
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Holy shit wall of text.

TL/DR for those of us on a time budget?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Owls can be dangerous.

Every time you hear one, I suggest you fire a round in its direction.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy shit wall of text.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit wall of text.

https://lookhere3.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dancingraccoon22.gif

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Does the guy work?

Security cameras are a must. Would have been good to see him scratch up his own door on video. Could have gotten him for falsifying a police report.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Show em what insane looks like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#41]
This the guy?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#42]
You now know why he doesn't have a job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've had that happen to me

they'd call the cops like bitches

get earplugs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had that happen to me

they'd call the cops like bitches

get earplugs
This is what I got out of that post

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit wall of text.

https://lookhere3.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dancingraccoon22.gif

lol...time to move then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Apartment living... oh wait...
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Sell and move to a neighborhood with 1 acre or more lots or just move to the country on land.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Whooo hooooooo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Talk to the guy that got the restraining order previously.  Maybe he has a few tips on dealing with this asshole.  Keep a log of interactions.  Get cameras with audio.  Is it against the law to run a business in that zoning?  I've got great neighbors -- sorry you have assholes.
View Quote

I was thinking that maybe they can't run a business out of the home.........
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Jimmy
View Quote

I feel for you man...as I have similar neighbor problems...throwing large packs of firecrackers near my front porch at midnight
using speakers with varmint calls late at night.....my problem was he tried to set the subdivision on fire and I went to help put out
his brush fire but it was too much for us and spread to the neighbors woods... so I called 911 and he had to pay. He and his "wife" demanded we pay for the fire dept bill because we called 911...naturally I refused a shouting match on my front porch ensued and then the harassment started and that was a year ago....The fire chief told me it was a good call they found a can of gas he threw on it and burned himself a bit...

Luckily for us we also have a small farm on 42 acres not too far away so we are eventually going to build out there and get the heck out
of here....kinda sorry we sold the lots we had here as did others who held multiple lots....the more people around you the more jerks
there will be...its a matter of numbers....there are an increasing number of jerks...hopefully our new neighbors though fewer and much farther
away will be decent folks....they all seem to be so far.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I posted this in your other thread...

Life is too short to deal with assholes... if you can move w/o great disruption, I'd seriously consider it.

I've been to MANY neighbor disputes in my career, some minor, some quite serious... it's the guy/gal who has a family, a job, and responsibilities that is handicapped in these situations as there is much to lose by simply kicking the shit out of the other guy when they push you... as it's just about the only thing that works... and it's NOT recommended.

There's not much you can do to a person who has little or nothing to lose... therefore it's almost impossible to influence them to change or leave you alone. Sounds like dude is a lazy sit-at-home shit bag who is abusive to whom ever he pleases... also sounds like he knows the ropes... only a near death ass kicking influences those kinds of people to stay in their own lane.

Seeing as beating him half to death is illegal and not recommended, consider moving.

Check into your states harassment laws. In Florida, it's not too difficult to catch a harassment/stalking charge... I've made/seen successful misdemeanor arrests AND PROSECUTION for things as seemingly minor as tossing cans/garbage out roadside in front of the targeted persons home, playing loud music after hours with speakers directed as a targeted persons house, to routine breaking of shrub branches/landscape belonging to the targeted person. It just takes a cop who understands the law and how to apply it. I'd stop by the local cop shop and seek information, ideas, and tips from the supervisor on duty. Video and audio recordings of your area can help in these cases.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top