BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2015 5:42:22 PM EDT
My budget is $350, max.  I was looking at this one: ESP H-51

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you go too cheap, you'll get discouraged because you'll never get decent sound.
Look into PRS SE guitars, they're versatile, sound amazing and easy to play. They're high enough quality that quite a few big name bands use them over PRS Custom guitars.
Epiphone is another good option, Gibsons budget line.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Instead of getting cheap new look at someplace like Guitar Center and pay a little more for used good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago...bought this Ibanez:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-am73b-electric-guitar

It's a little over your budget (about $50), but well worth it.  Keeps a good tune, and looks really great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to a local music shop and figure out what's a good fit for you.  A buddy of mine loves Flying Vs, but I was never able to play them without feeling I had to hold the neck up the whole time.  Point being, much like handguns, different guitar styles are going to feel different between individuals.  You need to find something that feels right when you play it.  And make sure you get it properly set up.  If the action is too high, you likely won't want to play it much.  If the intonation is off, things won't sound quite right no matter how "in tune" the strings are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go too cheap, you'll get discouraged because you'll never get decent sound.
Look into PRS SE guitars, they're versatile, sound amazing and easy to play. They're high enough quality that quite a few big name bands use them over PRS Custom guitars.
View Quote

This.

Cheap guitars = get frustrated and quit.

Used big name guitars, OK. Epiphone, sure.

Not walmart junk please.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into Schecter. They make good guitars for the money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have said this before when someone comes on here and ask the same question you have asked.
Cheap and guitar don't go together, doesn't mean you can't find a good buy out there, good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have said this before when someone comes on here and ask the same question you have asked.

Cheap and guitar don't go together, doesn't mean you can't find a good buy out there, good luck.
View Quote

While true, you can get a pretty good guitar in OP's price range.

ESP makes some nice guitars, though I've never played that particular model.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Pawn shot

$100 guitar
$40 Amp
$20 in self help books on how to play...

in 6 mo you're rockin go  buy a $400 guitar...

Chef..
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Rondo

View Quote

+1.

Or find a used Mexican Strat  on Craigslist. (Mexican means made in Mexico Fender.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]
The local classifieds are full of decent guitars somebody tried and gave up on. If you are not sure what you are looking for or at, take somebody who does .You can easily get a 6-700 guitar in your price range. I got a like new 1 year old MIM Fender Strat with hard case for $300 this way. Buy one that is comfortable, you will know it when you find it so try a bunch before you buy.Like stated above a cheap guitar with shitty sound and shitty action that wont stay in tune will have you quitting before you can become a world famous rock star.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Pawn shop
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have never played and are just getting started, you should look at an acoustic first.  Electric guitars require amps and inevitably effects which will mask a lot of what you are actually playing.  

Just a thought

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Epiphone player here.  Pretty good and usable for the price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The local classifieds are full of decent guitars somebody tried and gave up on. If you are not sure what you are looking for or at, take somebody who does .You can easily get a 6-700 guitar in your price range. I got a like new 1 year old MIM Fender Strat with hard case for $300 this way. Buy one that is comfortable, you will know it when you find it so try a bunch before you buy.Like stated above a cheap guitar with shitty sound and shitty action that wont stay in tune will have you quitting before you can become a world famous rock star.

View Quote
Hmm, I'm a bit leery of buying something from an individual... I have no idea what to look for and I don't think I know anyone who does.  I don't want to take somebody's problem off of their hands.

What do you think about ordering a used guitar from a large online dealer?  I checked some of the used guitars at guitarcenter.com, and found an Ibanez RG421 for $170, a Squier Classic Vibe 1950s Stratocaster for $255, and a Schecter C1 Standard for $290 (all are supposedly in excellent condition).  I like that Schecter a lot; there's a new one on Amazon for $523, so $290 sounds somewhat reasonable, I guess, if it's actually in excellent condition.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you have never played and are just getting started, you should look at an acoustic first.  Electric guitars require amps and inevitably effects which will mask a lot of what you are actually playing.  

Just a thought

View Quote
I've heard that, but I don't want to subject everyone in the house to my playing... I'd prefer to get an electric and a headphone amp.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Squier Bullet series. Look around on the Internet, you can find one in whatever color you want and whatever pickup configuration. Mine is solid black with two humbuckers, three way switch.

Listen to me: these guitars are worth FAR more than they are charging for them. They can sell them this cheap because they're made in China and Indonesia and those slave laborers over there know WTF they are doing. I own one. I know what I'm talking about.

You don't have to spend $400 to get a good "beginner" guitar. You don't have to spend $200.

These are good guitars, period. For the price, they are the absolute best deal available.

Check out this dude's review. I have no idea who he is, I just Googled it up, but I agree pretty much with everything he says. My bullet is just like his, except mine is solid black.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hmm, I'm a bit leery of buying something from an individual... I have no idea what to look for and I don't think I know anyone who does.  I don't want to take somebody's problem off of their hands.

What do you think about ordering a used guitar from a large online dealer?  I checked some of the used guitars at guitarcenter.com, and found an Ibanez RG421 for $170, a Squier Classic Vibe 1950s Stratocaster for $255, and a Schecter C1 Standard for $290 (all are supposedly in excellent condition).  I like that Schecter a lot; there's a new one on Amazon for $523, so $290 sounds somewhat reasonable, I guess, if it's actually in excellent condition.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Squier Classic Vibe guitars are fantastic guitars for the money. They would be fantastic at double what they charge for them. Whatever you get, take it to a local shop and have them set it up for you. A good set up makes all the difference in the world.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]
LTD is usually a fine entry level guitar. My go to electric is an made in Mexico fender start that I have made a few inexpensive mods. Squire and fender electrics are usually good band for the bucks.

I also love my irig setup. I have a small modeling practice amp and also have a vox amplug and by far I love the irig.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like that Schecter a lot; there's a new one on Amazon for $523, so $290 sounds somewhat reasonable, I guess, if it's actually in excellent condition.
View Quote

I love my Schecter (C1 Hellraiser).
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Look into Schecter. They make good guitars for the money.
View Quote

+ 1

Don't forget to check Craigslist for good deals.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
The Squire classic vibes are decent.
Their vintage deluxe line is excellent for the money.

Thinline Telecaster

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't forget to check Craigslist for good deals.
View Quote

Which reminds me... need to relist my Epi LP again. (Maybe somebody will offer more than $50 this time. )
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a PRS SE and have to agree 100%.  They're generally a little more than you're looking to spend but you're getting a damn good guitar for the price.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Go all out. Axe FX II and a Music Man 7-string. Channel your inner Petrucci.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd be willing to part with my ibenez 7 string rg series if anyone wants it for a resonable offer.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:51:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Whatever instrument you choose, remember to set aside funds for lessons and method books.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Go to guitar center and handle a few, then buy the one you like the best in your price range.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Whatever instrument you choose, remember to set aside funds for lessons and method books.

Good luck!
View Quote
If you do buy a guitar from an Internet shop, please set aside some money to have someone set it up for you the first time. The feel and intonation of a rig that has been setup properly makes a huge difference in playability.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If you do buy a guitar from an Internet shop, please set aside some money to have someone set it up for you the first time. The feel and intonation of a rig that has been setup properly makes a huge difference in playability.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

I bought my first real guitar from amazon, a Gibson SGJ.  It actually came setup really, really well.

Not that I oppose the idea of paying someone to set it up for you, especially the first time, but in the long term you should definitely learn to do it yourself.  Everyone has their own preferences and it's really not too hard.  There's tons of tutorial videos out there on how to do it.

Oh and buy a tuner.  The little Snark clip on ones are cheap and great.

Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#32]
That ESP would be a good starter.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Squier Classic Vibe guitars are fantastic guitars for the money. They would be fantastic at double what they charge for them. Whatever you get, take it to a local shop and have them set it up for you. A good set up makes all the difference in the world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Classic Vibes.  Play one to see how it feels, of course, but that's a solid choice.

Don't forget to budget about $100 for an amp, strap, picks, etc.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Used is an option. Nothing like picking up where someone else's broken dreams left off.  

Lotta good deals online for new guitars too though. Whatever you do, get the thing set up professionally.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Hit  www.reverb.com

There are plenty of great guitars that can be had for a pittance used.

A mexico made fender standard strat or telecaster, prs Se model
can be had around $300 used, and they will last forever. Set ups,
Even if it arrives wonky, runs about $50-70 at a guitar shop or luthier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#36]
You're not going to know what you like until you've tried several.

I've been playing for over 30 years.

I like shorter scales. That means I like Gibsons.

I started on longer scale scale guitars, ie: Fenders.

Nobody can tell you which is best for you except you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Pawn shop
View Quote
I would say this but to get a half way decent guitar at my local pawn shop you would need to go in everyday for a month or two to score one. They have a boat load of worthless junk and very few nice guitars.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Squier Bullet series. Look around on the Internet, you can find one in whatever color you want and whatever pickup configuration. Mine is solid black with two humbuckers, three way switch.

Listen to me: these guitars are worth FAR more than they are charging for them. They can sell them this cheap because they're made in China and Indonesia and those slave laborers over there know WTF they are doing. I own one. I know what I'm talking about.

You don't have to spend $400 to get a good "beginner" guitar. You don't have to spend $200.

These are good guitars, period. For the price, they are the absolute best deal available.

Check out this dude's review. I have no idea who he is, I just Googled it up, but I agree pretty much with everything he says. My bullet is just like his, except mine is solid black.
View Quote

I second this. I also disagree with the acoustic idea because it takes much more strength and effort to play an acoustic, and electric songs are much easier to learn as a beginner. i went acoustic first and almost quit. moved to electric and loved it. YMMV.
chances are that people that love acoustics new up front that they would be an acoustic player.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm thinking you can snag a nice used Mexi Strat in that price range....hell, if you're REALLY patient you could probably find an American Standard for not much more than that...say $500 range.

I have NO first hand experience with them but I hear really good things about the Earl Slick line of guitars from Guitar Fetish....they're dirt cheap too. Heard the factory set ups are hit or miss (mostly miss) but once set up properly they're supposed to be incredible...especially for the price.

Slick Guitars
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:04:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go to a local music shop and figure out what's a good fit for you.  A buddy of mine loves Flying Vs, but I was never able to play them without feeling I had to hold the neck up the whole time.  Point being, much like handguns, different guitar styles are going to feel different between individuals.  You need to find something that feels right when you play it.  And make sure you get it properly set up.  If the action is too high, you likely won't want to play it much.  If the intonation is off, things won't sound quite right no matter how "in tune" the strings are.
View Quote

This.  It's super important to find something that fits you that you feel good with, don't worry about what it looks like right now.  

With that budget, look for a MiM(Made in Mexico)Fender Strat or Telecaster, hard to go wrong with one of those.  I've got a Squier Strat(due to my low budget) that actually sounds really nice.  If you buy new, I personally think it's well worth the money to have it professionally set up by someone who knows what the fuck they're doing, it will makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I love my Ibanez, it's pretty, except where my baby boy took a sharp metal instrument to it.  Battle scars, right?  

Do yourself a favor, and pick up a cheap beginners Fender acoustic along with whatever you electric you get.  $100, but you'll love having the acoustic available to play/practice.  When you start the electric is easier on the fingers, but once your fingers toughen up and strengthen, the convenience of not being tethered to an amp, you may enjoy the freedom of picking up the acoustic anywhere you may be.

Full disclosure...I am a total fucking guitar noob who loves making horrible noises that resemble something that's made out of metal being tortured to death.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#42]
My vote is PRS SE

But you can get screaming good deals on Ibanez guitars on craigslist.
Most of them are guitars someone bought, played a month and then put in a case for the rest of its life.
Just find one that looks mint and you’ll be OK.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I love my Ibanez, it's pretty, except where my baby boy took a sharp metal instrument to it.  Battle scars, right?  

Do yourself a favor, and pick up a cheap beginners Fender acoustic along with whatever you electric you get.  $100, but you'll love having the acoustic available to play/practice.  When you start the electric is easier on the fingers, but once your fingers toughen up and strengthen, the convenience of not being tethered to an amp, you may enjoy the freedom of picking up the acoustic anywhere you may be.

Full disclosure...I am a total fucking guitar noob who loves making horrible noises that resemble something that's made out of metal being tortured to death.
View Quote

Some people laugh when they see my acoustic.

It's a yamaha youth model.

Yes, it's small. Yes it's got a shortened neck. I also bought it specifically to use while traveling (particularly for down time in an ambulance) so it needed to be tiny and portable.

Despite its looks (and a few missing frets, and the rest being somewhat oddly sized) it has a pretty good tone and nobody complains once they hear it or give it a try playing it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#44]
For a new guitar, IMHO, you'll have to go a long way to beat Ibanez for bang for the buck in that price range. IME, the Fenders are more hit and miss on the low end.

It's risky for a newb to go the used route because there can be a lot wrong. Used at a reputable place like Sam Ash or Guitar Center where the tech can help you out would be another way to go.

I've been looking at a used Ibanez 7 string at the local SA. Like I need another guitar. (But I do. I don't have a 7 string and it's becoming a necessity for the music I've been delving into)
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks to everyone who offered advice.  I spent a good chunk of yesterday thinking about what everyone said, and doing research.  I looked at everything from the Squier Bullet Strat to the Schecter C-1 Plus.  

I finally decided on...

The Schecter C-1 Plus.  I bought it used (they were discontinued in 2009, I believe) from guitarcenter.com, in "Excellent" condition.  

Specs:

Flamed maple top (Cherry Burst)

Set neck

Mahogany body

Mahogany neck

24-3/4" scale

Rosewood fretboard

TonePros Tune-O-Matic bridge

Duncan Designed HB-102 humbuckers

Grover tuners

Made in Korea

Price: $299 + shipping + tax = 326.

How'd I do?

Obligatory pic (not the actual one I ordered; their pic sucked).

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#46]
looks good to me, lots of decent features for $300
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I forgot to mention that it comes with a bag and a tuner.  Here's the other stuff I'm about to order:

VOX AC30 Headphone Amp, $40  (I don't think I need a "real" amp at this point, and I thought this might be better than getting a cheapo amp and using the headphone jack.  I have a couple of pairs of headphones.)

Musicians Gear A-Frame Electric Guitar Stand, $10

Dunlop Nylon Standard Guitar Pick, .38 mm, 1 Dozen, $3 (I read somewhere that I should start out with thin picks)

Should I get something different instead of any of these? Do I need anything else?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#48]
If you have an iPad I highly recommend the Bias Amp and Bias FX apps!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I forgot to mention that it comes with a bag and a tuner.  Here's the other stuff I'm about to order:

VOX AC30 Headphone Amp, $40  (I don't think I need a "real" amp at this point, and I thought this might be better than getting a cheapo amp and using the headphone jack.  I have a couple of pairs of headphones.)

Musicians Gear A-Frame Electric Guitar Stand, $10

Dunlop Nylon Standard Guitar Pick, .38 mm, 1 Dozen, $3 (I read somewhere that I should start out with thin picks)

Should I get something different instead of any of these? Do I need anything else?
View Quote

Those little headphone amps are actually pretty decent.  I have the Classic Rock version.  $40 seems a little steep, but I got mine years ago.

The picks are fine to start with, but I'd pick up and assortment of sizes/thicknesses to see what you like.

Get a strap if it doesn't come with one.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm curious as to what's involved with "setting up" an electric guitar. I've been playing acoustic for some years now, never played electric. Only thing I've had to do with my acoustic is tune it and change strings when I accidentally break them while tuning
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top