Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/9/2015 12:37:37 AM EDT
They have some great prices on food items although I won't buy their meat and chicken. Anyone shop there?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a couple here in town, but neither is close enough for me to try out yet. I've heard good things about them from people I know who have.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
If I need something quick, Aldi is the closest store.

I always grab a handful of Mambas in the checkout lane.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
We thought we would give it a try a couple weeks ago after not going for the last 15 or so years. I can say for sure I will never be going back. My stomach has felt like complete shit since I've been eating their garbage food.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Was not impressed.

What i saved was offset by the lack of products, and what products they did have weren't the best
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
After they closed the nearest Tom Thumb, we started shopping at Aldi and Kroger. Between the two we have cut our grocery billls by about 35% without any loss in food quality and taste. Just needed to try a few Aldi and Kroger house brands to find the substitutes. Most of the name brands are availble at Kroger, but there are a ton of Aldi offerings that are just as good. Aldi has decent beef but Kroger is better. ymmv
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
We like them generally. Some things are priced really well; others not so much. Have to compare your local prices.

I tried their carne asada steak; it was pretty good with marinating.

We like their mustards (from Germany; Germans know their mustards!) and crackers. We stop in for this and a few other things from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
*Wellfare food store? Yeah no I don't go there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Aldi= trader joes without the fancy packaging.

Some foods you stay away from but their chicken, hamburger and fruits and veggies are always really good and fresh. Mac and cheese for a buck a box is outstanding, their whole wheat bread is also very good shy away from the regular kind and get the "fancy loaf".

For my brother and I we spend $90 a week combined there for groceries and eat like kings (in our minds )

Edit- hummus, baked beans, and pork tenderloin in mesquite marinade are all really good too. They do have one store here that is very "ethic" i drive the extra 5 miles to go to a one in a nicer area. Learning to shop there takes patience as it is a grab and go set up with no real organization.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#9]
They are building one around the corner.

Never been before.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#10]
For milk, eggs, veggies, flour, sugar, fruit and some of their cheese.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You shouldnt

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
They had great milk and butter prices now BJ's beats them by 5 cents a gallon now

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Very good for some things, not very good for others.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 2:56:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Like WINCO better, but some of their stuff is OK.
The local one looks like a scene from Blackhawk Down most of the time though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#16]
In Australia and Switzerland, not yet in the US.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Just about everything but meat. Hamburger sometimes but that can be beat by the butcher. Plus some stuff they don't carry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

In Australia and Switzerland, not yet in the US.

View Quote
Prepare to be disapponted with the ones in the states.  I was at one in Germany just couple days ago

And they blow aldi in the states out of the water.  

Anyways the ones in the states are not exactly like they used to be 25 years ago.  Vast improvements/
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I shop there.  I like it.  They have awesome prices on specialty stuff like cheese or grass fed beef.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Just got home from there.  Like 5 minutes ago.

Got some Mediterranean marinated whole chicken, deboned no less.  Tastes damn good.  And a 1.3kg hunk of pork belly.  Some assorted veggies.

Meat and produce is fine, as is some of the packaged and frozen stuff.   Their tools are shit.  Though back in 2006 or so when one opened in Bellevue Nebraska they had a ultrasonic jewelry cleaner for $20 my dad got for cleaning gun parts.  Works till this day, and does a pretty good job as well.

Prosciutto is shit quality compared to what I get at the deli next door, and not much cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I shop there.  I like it.  They have awesome prices on specialty stuff like cheese or grass fed beef.

View Quote

Heathen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We thought we would give it a try a couple weeks ago after not going for the last 15 or so years. I can say for sure I will never be going back. My stomach has felt like complete shit since I've been eating their garbage food.
View Quote

Lol ok princess
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lol ok princess
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol ok princess

That's from a guy who used electrical tape to attach a kukri knife to a p-mag.  

Which means his opinion is wise and true.

How would aldi food mess up your stomach?  You the boy in the bubble nisa?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Heathen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heathen.

Don't hate on grass fed beef.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:26:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heathen.

Two commies have now outed themselves.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#27]
i went into one located somewhere in minneapolis.

when i entered the store.

i think i was magically transported to a third world country.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I pass one on the way to work.  Their customers are some of the most non-driving motherfuckers ever.  About half of them come to a complete stop before turning into the lot.  Right after then turn into the lot, they stop, presumably to scan the entire parking lot for the best spot.  If someone was pulling in behind them, too fucking bad.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

i went into one located somewhere in minneapolis.

when i entered the store.

i think i was magically transported to a third world country.

View Quote
A good chunk of the twin cities is not far from being Addis Ababa.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. Aldi is a German based store that I've shopped at for 35 years, just recently here in the states. It buys in bulk, has a super efficient logistics/distribution system combined with a bare bones, no frills operation. We do about 50% of our shopping there for mainly dry items and some other things like milk, etc...

Aldi is a mainstay in Germany but you're right. You shouldn't go there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol. Aldi is a German based store that I've shopped at for 35 years, just recently here in the states. It buys in bulk, has a super efficient logistics/distribution system combined with a bare bones, no frills operation. We do about 50% of our shopping there for mainly dry items and some other things like milk, etc...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I don't get is why he called it a welfare food store.

You think Ty RayRay, and Sharkeshia are going to Aldi to save money?  HAHAHAHAHA

Ain't no lobster at Aldi.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You think Ty RayRay, and Sharkeshia are going to Aldi to save money?  HAHAHAHAHA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you have to have the forethought to bring bags, need a quarter to get a cart. It's almost like it was designed to keep FSA out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And you have to have the forethought to bring bags, need a quarter to get a cart. It's almost like it was designed to keep FSA out.
View Quote

Speaking of that, today was the first time I actually remembered to grab a bag for the specific purpose of shopping at Aldi.  Normally I have to luck out and get a half cut up box from them restocking to put my shit in, or pile the stuff in a bag that's already full from hitting up the other grocery store.

I mean if you want a third world, welfare experience go to the Walmart in Omaha on particular nights of the week.  At least the last time I was home, one night would be for one group, the next another, then another.

For example, though my days are probably wrong, Wed would be curry ingredients, Thur would be tamales, Fri would be candy, soda, steaks, and coco butter.  It actually got so bad certain nights I wouldn't even go to walmart.  Wed would be alright, Thur not bad as long as the parents were in the store keeping their 14 year old vatos in check, Fri, fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was not impressed.

What i saved was offset by the lack of products, and what products they did have weren't the best
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#36]
we get a lot of staple stuff there. They don't have the variety of a big grocery, but what they do have, the prices are good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Also, Aldi in Germany is know for crazy good deals on non-grocery items. They once had very nice laptops that were sold for 150DM or so....when the the going rate downtown was about 5 times that. They only stock so many per store and usually sell out in a few hours on those items.

As mentioned the carts take a quarter which you get back when you return the cart to the docking station. What a novel idea....no retards leaving the parking lot full of carts and yes, like Costco, no bags though you can by them for a few cents. We just bring our own cloth bags.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#38]
I go there for a few specific things, like potatoes and onions. Always way cheaper than anywhere else. Their offbrand chips and nachos are good enough for the money.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Hamburger  is very good at Aldis.  The other places in town, Kroger, Giant Eagle, Meijer's water down theirs quite a bit
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Aldi= trader joes without the fancy packaging.
View Quote

This. Their prices are spoiling me!
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#42]
All the time.  Feeding 6 people ain't cheap.  We go through a gallon of milk per day.  Sometimes the fruit selection sucks so we run to a regular grocery store.  For meat, we get a hind quarter of beef and cases of chicken breasts from a local butcher.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I live a mile from Aldi's showroom store, best Aldi in America; their corporate HQ is just around the corner.  Big fan here.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#44]
+1 for Aldi. I like shopping at their stores and have no complaints about their private label food.  Take n' bake pizzas are OK too.  I keep an Aldi canvas shopping bag behind the seat in my truck.  Best thing about shopping there, IMO, is quick in and out, no traipsing miles through a mega-store for a gallon of milk, some chips and canned goods.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, just the thought of it turns my stomach.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me as well...they don't even have Kobi beef!  Why the hell would I shop somewhere that doesn't carry Kobi beef??  An no foie gras?  Fuck Aldi.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Love it.tney are expanding the one own the road.

Their milk is local - Garelick Farms

Chicken I believe is Perdue

Cereals are made by General Mills

Savoritz crackers are great

Wifey loves the hummus

Eggs are fresh, delicious, and cheap
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I started shopping there about 2 years ago. I wish I had started going there sooner. Their prices are outstanding. I spend less money, and eat MUCH better than I used to.

I have never bought anything there that I didn't like.

Their produce isn't very good, though I got a pound of strawberries for $1.19 earlier in the week, which is a GREAT buy.

They sell 1/4 sliced hams for $3.50/lb., all the time.

I love buying food at Aldi's.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#49]
I can almost buy three times the amount food at Aldis than at Walmart, only wish Aldis had ravioli, then it'd be perfect.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#50]
only got 1 in town I know of and it's too far away
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top