Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2015 5:22:57 PM EDT
Just like it says: how are the gun laws in Massachusetts?  Planning on visiting my sister out Baaston way, don't want the SWAT team to jump on me for having a rifle in my truck.  Will be going via New York state, so I'll not have a handgun, but what other do I have to watch out for?  I know in Joisey, you can't have a gun, period, end of sentence, do not pass "Go", do not collect $200.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it.

You need a permit for a long gun.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do it.

View Quote

Srsly?  No visitor pass, like hunting in the state?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't do it.

LoL, you can get a visitors pass to jail.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't do it.

Non-residents with a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license do not need any Massachusetts firearms permits to possess or carry a rifle or shotgun, but must carry their firearms unloaded an in a case while traveling in their vehicles. Non-residents may not purchase guns or ammunition in Massachusetts

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/hunting-license-purchase-requirements.html#IdontliveinMassachusettsbutplantohuntthere.WhatdoIneedinordertogetaMassachusettshuntinglicense
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay in New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
A spent .22 casing is illegal.
An empty magazine over 10rds is a felony. A loaded mag over 10 rds is a felony and another charge.
A firearm not properly secured, depending on type of gun, capacity of gun, presence of ammo, etc can put you in prison for 10 years.
Checking a firearm at the airport will send you to jail as you try to leave the state if you are not licensed.
There are so many stupid laws they can't all be listed.

TL;DR
Don't bring anything. Triple check you don't inadvertently have anything hiding in pockets etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Non-residents with a valid Massachusetts non-resident hunting license do not need any Massachusetts firearms permits to possess or carry a rifle or shotgun, but must carry their firearms unloaded an in a case while traveling in their vehicles. Non-residents may not purchase guns or ammunition in Massachusetts

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/hunting-license-purchase-requirements.html#IdontliveinMassachusettsbutplantohuntthere.WhatdoIneedinordertogetaMassachusettshuntinglicense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't do it.

Beware - that doesn't allow you to have "high capacity" magazines.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stay in New Hampshire.
View Quote

Your best bet is just to head south. The liberal Massholes are invading NH and its just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
MA has some of the toughest laws and I really wouldn't bother.  If you want to go for it, make sure it's unloaded, in a locked case, in your trunk and I'd keep the ammo separate.  It must conform to the 94 AWB so keep that in mind and I'd visit the MA forum or Northeast Shooters for more info as I haven't lived there in over a decade.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Not only Boston but a lot of surrounding cities have knife laws too.

Boston City Ordinance 16-39.1 “Prohibition of Sale of Dangerous Instruments”
No person shall sell, give or deliver to any person under eighteen (18) years of age (hereinafter referred to as “minor”) any of the following: a. Knife having a blade with a length of two (2") inches or more; b. Ice pick or similar implement having a metal pointed shaft and handle; c. Straight edged razor or razor blade fitted with a handle. Transient vendors, peddlers or hawkers, as defined in Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 101 (licensed or unlicensed) are prohibited from selling the above listed dangerous instruments in the City. (Ord. 1997 c. 9 § 1; Ord. 2001 c. 1) Penalty, see subsection 16-39.2

Boston City Ordinance 16-45.1 “Carrying of Weapons Prohibited”
No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except: a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported. No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, a machete. For purposes of this section, "machete" means a heavy knife at least eighteen (18) inches in length and having a blade at least one and one-half (1.5) inches wide at its broadest
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
MA has some of the toughest laws and I really wouldn't bother.  If you want to go for it, make sure it's unloaded, in a locked case, in your trunk and I'd keep the ammo separate.  It must conform to the 94 AWB so keep that in mind and I'd visit the MA forum or Northeast Shooters for more info as I haven't lived there in over a decade.

YMMV
View Quote

I think its still illegal, as he isn't licensed in the state. As far as I know, he cannot have a gun there under his circumstances at all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Something else to know about Massachusetts is that many misdemeanors can make you a federally prohibited person due to sentence lengths.

Avoid Massachusetts if you can. Everything is illegal.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]

"everythings illegal in massachusetts"

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
You should do it. Be a test case for our cause. Equal Protection and all that.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Sad to say but CT is better than MA.

I rhymed!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Boston has its own knife laws too. So keep that in mind. I believe it's 2.5" or under.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like I'm gonna have to stow everything on the NY side of the line.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stay in New Hampshire.
View Quote

Yes give your money to us.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just like it says: how are the gun laws in Massachusetts?  Planning on visiting my sister out Baaston way, don't want the SWAT team to jump on me for having a rifle in my truck.  Will be going via New York state, so I'll not have a handgun, but what other do I have to watch out for?  I know in Joisey, you can't have a gun, period, end of sentence, do not pass "Go", do not collect $200.
View Quote

You can get arrested in MA for having a spent shell casing without having the appropriate MA permit and you want to bring guns to that state?

On a side note, sad that the state that the some of the first shots fired in anger over gun control now has some of the strictest gun control in the nation.

See the following link for more information about non residents bringing guns/ammo into MA:
http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/travelinfo.html

MA Non Resident Information

Please note! Currently many legal experts disagree on the applicability of the non-resident exemption oulined below (Chapter 140, Section 131G). If you are a non-resident and planning on travelling to MA with firearms we encourage you to read the information below and do other research before your trip. Many legal experts consider the non-resident exemption to be invalid because of a minor grammatical error in the language of the law.

Allowed
•Handguns - possession by a non resident for the purpose of attending the following; competition, a meeting or exhibition of any organized firearms collecting group, or hunting.
•Long Guns - possession by a non resident for the purpose of attending the following; competition, a meeting or exhibition of any organized firearms collecting group, hunting or while on a firing or shooting range.
•Ban Compliant Modern Sporting Rifles (allowed under the above exemption for Long Guns) - All Modern Sporting Rifles must be ban compliant! compliance definitions here.

*Please read the full page below for more detailed information as to what is allowed

Not Allowed
•"Carrying" of any firearm, this means open or concealed carry of any kind of firearms, with the exception of the above mentioned exemptions, is not permitted unless you have an unrestricted non-resident LTC.
•Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition (unless mfg before 9/13/1994)
•Modern Sporting Rifles made after 9/13/94 unless they are in a post ban configuration, see compliance definitions here
•Purchase of ammunition even with a MA Non-Resident LTC this is not allowed
•Possession of Machine Guns by a Non-Resident.

*Please read the full page below for more detailed information as to what is not allowed

<see link for rest of page>
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't fuck around with Massachusetts.

Logic does not apply, in any way.

Forget the rifle, and forget telling them "It's for hunting."
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Baastan has super-duper enhanced penalties for AW's too, though that's probably been superseded by more state-level gun control.

You should have heard the chief go on about how no one in Baastan needs a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Western Mass: "What Gun Laws?"

Eastern Mass: "Everything's Illegal in Massachusetts"
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something else to know about Massachusetts is that many misdemeanors can make you a federally prohibited person due to sentence lengths.

Avoid Massachusetts if you can. Everything is illegal.
View Quote

This bears repeating. Things that are minor misdemeanors elsewhere will make you a prohibited person for life if convicted in MA. The laws area mess and everything is illegal. People who live there don't know the law and much of it isn't enforced unless you attract the attention of the police for some reason.

I work there and have personally told many people they own stuff that is a felony to possess. They typically look at me like I'm an idiot and say that they think I'm wrong. Then the next day they thank me because they looked it up online and can get rid of it before they get caught.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Who would want to live there...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Pepper spray is illegal too without a permit.  

So is a slingshot with a wrist brace.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Massholes.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

For real?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Have your sister visit you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd love to live on Cape Cod
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#30]
What a great thread on "Independence" Day!!

Birthplace of the country and you can't take shit with you.

Too bad the Founders didn't give us an Amendment protecting the right to keep and bear arms,instead of an amendment making it Constitutional to force us to buy health insurance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What a great thread on "Independence" Day!!

Birthplace of the country and you can't take shit with you.

Too bad the Founders didn't give us an Amendment protecting the right to keep and bear arms,instead of an amendment making it Constitutional to force us to buy health insurance.
View Quote

The Constitution is outdated. The government will take care of you. And if there is a problem, just do what they say, it will all be OK.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

They actually repealed that. Some chick was raped/murdered in Baastan, which helped turn that back. NH stores were selling out of pepper spray.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im pretty sure that was changed within the last year or so. Now no permit is needed.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes the pepper spray law is was reversed and you no longer need an FID to purchase. MA requires a license for the possession of any rifle.

A side from that welcome to the city. There is plenty to do here that you can't do anywhere else.

ETA: And whoever said MA has worse gun laws than CT....

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Massholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Massholes.

It's funny cuz it's true.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"everythings illegal in massachusetts"

View Quote

And the stuff that should be probably isn't.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#37]
The cradle of freedom. The former rabble rouser colonies have come full circle.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Massachusetts puts the "England" in New England.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#41]
DO NOT BRING AN AR-15 INTO SUFFOLK COUNTY (Boston).

Went to college there.

Most libtarded and anti-gun place I have ever fucking seen, and I couldn't GTFO of there fast enough after I graduated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top