Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2015 4:37:47 PM EDT
We see a lot of stories about cops shooting dogs. I have encountered a lot of dogs in my lifetime and never had the need to shoot one. Anything under 40 pounds I pretty much laugh at. I have never seen the time that I couldn't handle them with anything more deadly than my foot. I once had a 100+ pound dog that was scary enough that, if he had been after me, I would have wanted a weapon -- but he didn't get aggressive unless someone was on his property when they shouldn't be, and his aggression was defensive, not offensive. If he had a problem with you, it was probably because you were fucking up somewhere.

I have run into big dogs owned by others that got aggressive, but always managed to handle the situation without gunfire. There probably are situations where I would shoot a dog, but I haven't run into one yet.

So what should the standard be for cops shooting dogs in what they claim is self defense?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The dog is within range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you have to shoot a kid or innocent bystander as the dog is running away.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#3]
not a cop, I've shot many dogs in defense of myself, livestock, etc.

standard: is it intending harm to you, or someone else, or your property?

shoot the damn thing.

You live far enough out of town, you'll occasionally run into feral dogs, sometimes packs of them.

I posted a story here about when it happened several years back, but I got surrounded by a pack of feral dogs, barking growling and such. It was kinda like that scene from collateral "yo homie, is that my briefcase?" but with dogs.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a Rottweiler once that attacked me at the town dump. It came running at me growling and barking, shot it once in the head at about 5' with my G19. There weren't any people around and it didn't have a collar, so I picked it up and threw it in the dump.

I've killed many other dogs over the years, but that was the only one that I actually felt threatened by.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
i shot the neighbors dog when it ran outta his yard and bit my roommates dog whom I was walking. The thing was gonna kill her, then probably me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

shoot the damn thing.

You live far enough out of town, you'll occasionally run into feral dogs, sometimes packs of them.

I posted a story here about when it happened several years back, but I got surrounded by a pack of feral dogs, barking growling and such. It was kinda like that scene from collateral "yo homie, is that my briefcase?" but with dogs.

View Quote

I was gonna post Lassie Come Home, till I got to the part in bold.

Feral dog packs are out there, and dangerous.  The few times I've ever felt like I needed to shoot at them, I either had a jammed rifle, or waited till they were too far away.  Both incidents changed the way I go hunting.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread will be full of reasonable discussion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Never been around a dog that needed shot. I guess I'm lucky that way.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I got in a pack of feral dogs(6) and ended up killing 3. I was lucky they were serious.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
My lab and I were minding our own business when two german shepherds ran up out of nowhere. The one grabbed my lab by the throat and started shaking her...I ran up and hit it in the head with my heavy RC airplane radio and it let go instantly. I already had my gun out, and if it wouldn't of let go right then I would of shot it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]
One time I was coyote calling and had slipped into a prime spot playing the wind and terrain all the way. I knew nothing knew I was there. I sat down after scrambling a big gully and out of nowhere a chow appeared. I am not close to anything. I didn't care. He sees me and starts barking. I want him to shut up. He doesn't. He keeps getting closer to me until he was clearly getting ready to make his sprint to me. He started growling and lowered his head. I shot him and there went my hunt.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I almost shot a pit bull while riding my atv last week on the back twenty.
He stopped at 15' when I commanded him too. Good for him but now I am packing a larger pistol..

Same thing happened last summer at the same spot. Neighbors are all squatter druggies with nothing.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I was a paper-boy from 3rd grade through middle school. I was attacked by everything from a chihuahua to a German Shepard. When I see that some LEO shot some little yapper "because he was afraid" I just laugh. How does a grown man get to be such a panty-waist?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was a paper-boy from 3rd grade through middle school. I was attacked by everything from a chihuahua to a German Shepard. When I see that some LEO shot some little yapper "because he was afraid" I just laugh. How does a grown man get to be such a panty-waist?
View Quote

As long as they get home safe.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
On GD its never acceptable to choot the dog.  Dog are nicer than humans, where have you been.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Subjective fear.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It barked.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#21]
It is only acceptable if the dog is a pit bull
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I shot a Rottweiler once that attacked me at the town dump. It came running at me growling and barking, shot it once in the head at about 5' with my G19. There weren't any people around and it didn't have a collar, so I picked it up and threw it in the dump.

I've killed many other dogs over the years, but that was the only one that I actually felt threatened by.
View Quote

hmm, how about that...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

No kidding? And some guys just can't seem to shoot enough of them...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...

That pinged my WTF-meter as well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If it makes a fur-tive movement.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The dog is within range.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
if it's attacking me or about to attack then BAM!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

shoot the damn thing.

View Quote

I think we need a caveat about who is where.

This standard seems well and good when it is applied by the property owner or his agents.

I think if you are on someone else's property and THEIR dog which is defending THEIR property runs up barking and growling in a threatening manner, you can't just draw and shoot the same way you could if you were on your own property, or on 'neutral' property (like state forest land or something)

I think when you are on someone else's property you have to assume any dog you encounter on that property is their dog not a stray   (unless you have good information to the contrary) and have a duty to retreat.   You should only shoot if you cannot retreat (or cannot retreat fast enough)

For police, I think this should also apply unless in active pursuit of a felon.  If some guy shop-lifted a bic lighter form the 7-11 and you are chasing him through people's yards and you jump a fence and are facing someone's dog growling you jump back over the fence to safety.  If you are executing a warrant on a drug dealer's place, and his dog come bolting out, that's different.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...

Never put a dog that's been hit by a car out of its misery?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
hmm, how about that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

hmm, how about that...
While I'd never do it, I respect the right of any farmer to shoot a strange dog trotting across his pasture, he need not wait until that dog actually reaches his livestock to see if the dog is a threat or not.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Only had a couple that I've avoided shooting at the last second. One almost got tasered.

I'd still like to go back and shoot the fuck out of the Doberman that bit the crap out of the back of my leg when I was like ten though
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Hardheaded, stubborn dog that still thinks it's invincible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I have shot several dogs. If I think they are going to bit me, they are a goner.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...

One, but it was the 'many' that caught my eye. Maybe he's got livestock, I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
If the dog in question is about to make you transgender, then it's a Good Shoot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#36]
It's interesting to see the emotional side of dog shooting come out.

The scoundrely sheep herders came thru the desert here, some weeks back.  While hunting with my dogs, I didn't realize where they were, till I heard a brass bell ringing, no doubt on some sheep's neck.  I look up, and 200 yards away, there is his mobile sheep herder's trailer hut thing, skylined on the ridge!

I don't really know what my 2 lab/chessies would have done, if they came up on the sheep.  Smell them, or leave them alone?  We turned tail and left post haste, probably narrowly avoiding an encounter with people leasing grazing rights on desert BLM land.

Would they have shot my dogs?  Who Knows
Would I have shot back with my pistol? I dunno, myself.  But they'd be running a 50/50 chance of taking rounds.

Thank God these sheep herders have finally left.  They scraped the ground clean of minor ground cover, and left plenty of sheep shit and (hoof prints) everywhere, which isn't really decomposing, stuff like that mummifies instead around here, and will easily last a year on the ground.

God forbid I should ever get in on dog shooting, on either side.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#37]
My personal standard for shooting a dog is pretty low. If I think they might attack, I'll shoot one. Haven't had to yet, but I came real close on a recent camping trip. Dumbass was letting his chow mix mutts run around and they ran up on my wife and daughter, barking like hell. They stopped a few feet short of us, and I was very close to brain surgery when a boy ran up and got control of them.

I really don't give a shit what your feels are. Animals aren't humans and if you don't control your dog, I'll grease it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#39]
It's not any different than shooting some dude who is mentally incompetent, except for that fact that the consequences of screwing up are an order of magnitude smaller because shooting a dog isn't murder.

If done poorly it's a very clear reason why someone shouldn't be trusted to carry a firearm for a paycheck.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...

Let me 'splain something to you: dogs aren't people no matter what feels you have. Did that display aggression toward other animals or people and are not being physically controlled should be destroyed. It's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If it makes a fur-tive movement.
View Quote

You win the interwebz for today. Please see Algore on your way out to claim your prize.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I have seven scars on the back of my head from a vietnam patrol dog that was smuggled back by his handler
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's not any different than shooting some dude who is mentally incompetent, except for that fact that the consequences of screwing up are an order of magnitude smaller because shooting a dog isn't murder.

If done poorly it's a very clear reason why someone shouldn't be trusted to carry a firearm for a paycheck.
View Quote

I watched a California Game Warden on that cable TV game warden show talking about how illegally shooting animals was "like a murder"  

Honestly.  The game wardens in several other states north of me seemed WAY more rational and down to earth, than the ones we've got.  Read that Montana and Washington.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

One, but it was the 'many' that caught my eye. Maybe he's got livestock, I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, how about that...

I do ADC work for Ranchers, it's 87% predator control. But every so often some dogs are chasing/attacking/harassing cattle.
The ranchers ask me to fix the problem. Which is how I've killed many dogs over the years that I didn't feel threatened by. They were in foot hold traps or snares when I walked up and shot them in the head.

It's kinda sad. I can tell that they were probably set loose by their owners and are half starved.  Almost always pitbulls. They revert to wild/feral pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This thread will be full of reasonable discussion.
View Quote

OP is only looking for a civil discussion. It's not his fault when it goes off the rails.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#46]
The power board went to radio meters here to keep people from trying to beat the shit outta the meter readers. They had a bad habit of slapping dogs with clipboards......even if they were just sitting there looking at them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's interesting to see the emotional side of dog shooting come out.

The scoundrely sheep herders came thru the desert here, some weeks back.  While hunting with my dogs, I didn't realize where they were, till I heard a brass bell ringing, no doubt on some sheep's neck.  I look up, and 200 yards away, there is his mobile sheep herder's trailer hut thing, skylined on the ridge!

I don't really know what my 2 lab/chessies would have done, if they came up on the sheep.  Smell them, or leave them alone?  We turned tail and left post haste, probably narrowly avoiding an encounter with people leasing grazing rights on desert BLM land.

Would they have shot my dogs?  Who Knows
Would I have shot back with my pistol? I dunno, myself.  But they'd be running a 50/50 chance of taking rounds.

Thank God these sheep herders have finally left.  They scraped the ground clean of minor ground cover, and left plenty of sheep shit and (hoof prints) everywhere, which isn't really decomposing, stuff like that mummifies instead around here, and will easily last a year on the ground.

God forbid I should ever get in on dog shooting, on either side.
View Quote

It's a good thing the sheep dogs didn't see your dogs (if there were any) those things are deadly on hunting dogs.....

Sheep are a pestilence on the Earth.

I occasionally trap areas for sheep farmers, while part of me roots for the coyotes..... damn nasty sheep.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#48]
stick a blasting cap in its ass
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I watched a California Game Warden on that cable TV game warden show talking about how illegally shooting animals was "like a murder"  

Honestly.  The game wardens in several other states north of me seemed WAY more rational and down to earth, than the ones we've got.  Read that Montana and Washington.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe he meant that investigating it was like solving a murder.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's not any different than shooting some dude who is mentally incompetent.
View Quote

lol

Aggressive dogs being assholes off their owner's property need to be shot on sight. Sorry if that hurts your feels.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top