Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:25:16 AM EDT
so I was not in the military but bought a woobie on the suggestions of others here. Has anyone gone full special and bought this one? https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/woobie-p72.aspx . I remember reading also that you can combine the ponch liner with some kind of insulating blanket, maybe a wool blanket to make it better. If anyone can chime in on blanket mods it would be great . Winter is coming and i need two different ones depending on the ambient south louisiana temp.

Btw i recieved much teasing last night due to saying woobie
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand what is going on here, you combine a poncho liner with a poncho to keep you dry.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Kifaru woobie, me wants one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Apparently there is a super woobie . I have a seamstress and extra woobie on order.  One for summer sleeping and one for winter to be made . Just searching for the optimum combo . And I have the gi poncho but have never needed to add them together cause its so hot in the summer here
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my woobie but I am forgoing getting a Kifaru woobie and instead getting a Snugpak Jungle bag
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#5]
A standard woobie is all you need to succeed in life....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree , but sometimes good socks make boots awesome

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Mrs. 45ProCarry bought me a multicam Kifaru Woobie for Christmas 2 years ago.  I love it.  It's a little pricey, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mrs. 45ProCarry bought me a multicam Kifaru Woobie for Christmas 2 years ago.  I love it.  It's a little pricey, but well worth it.
View Quote

You could say that.  I think it's stuffed with spun gold.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want an improvement on the GI woobie without spending the dough for a Kifaru woobie, check out the Snugpak Jungle Blanket. Noticeably warmer than the GI poncho liner and one side is wind/waterproof. It also packs down in the included stuff sack to the size of a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
How long have you had yours and does the water repel hold up to washig well?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I love woobies.

My bedding consists of a fitted sheet and a woobie.  In winter I add a fleece blanket.

I also still have and use my Army woobie with a head hole sewn in the middle of it so I could wear it under my poncho.

When I camp or travel however I've been using the Snugpak Jungle Blanket, which is also very nice
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in the 80s, some of the older NCOs used to talk about sewing a woobie onto a standard army wool blanket. The woobie was softer than the itchy wool and the blanket helped keep wind from passing through the woobie and sucking away the trapped heat. Sound reasoning but obviously did not pack down too small and I stuck with the sleeping bag with a woobie liner.

In the pre-gore tex days, you could take two woobies to the tailor shop along with a rubberized nylon wet weather jacket and they would sew a woobie material liner into the coat. Not breathable, but better than the cotton field jacket IMO. Great for Germany.

The Kifaru woobie is really nice and warmer than the issue one. It really packs down well too. This can be a detractor if it is really hot at night. I still use an issue woobie when camping in the summer. Otherwise the Kifaru  holds up well and drapes nicely with no cold spots.

Wiggy used to make a heavier woobie which did not pack down all that well and was much thicker than the other two. Don't know if he still makes them

If you have the coin, the Kifaru is good kit.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have a woobie and a towel, you will never panic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Back in the 80s, some of the older NCOs used to talk about sewing a woobie onto a standard army wool blanket. The woobie was softer than the itchy wool and the blanket helped keep wind from passing through the woobie and sucking away the trapped heat. Sound reasoning but obviously did not pack down too small and I stuck with the sleeping bag with a woobie liner.

In the pre-gore tex days, you could take two woobies to the tailor shop along with a rubberized nylon wet weather jacket and they would sew a woobie material liner into the coat. Not breathable, but better than the cotton field jacket IMO. Great for Germany.

The Kifaru woobie is really nice and warmer than the issue one. It really packs down well too. This can be a detractor if it is really hot at night. I still use an issue woobie when camping in the summer. Otherwise the Kifaru  holds up well and drapes nicely with no cold spots.

Wiggy used to make a heavier woobie which did not pack down all that well and was much thicker than the other two. Don't know if he still makes them

If you have the coin, the Kifaru is good kit.
View Quote
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. Im wondering if a wal mart rolled blanket will do well .

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Fold a PONCHO LINER in half and sew bottom and side like a sock. Leave an opening on top.  Its much warmer.  I had my wife sew one up like that for me in the 80's when I was stationed t FT Ord.  I'd snap up my poncho with the PONCHO LINER inside.  Worked great even when the temps would get down to the mid teens at night.  We never humped sleeping bags.  MANCHU Lightfights.

BTW What the fuck is this woobie shit.  I ask some of the younger Soldiers I work with and they all call a fucking PONCHO LINER awoobie.  Do you guys drink wawa or water too.  It's a fucking PONCHO LINER.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't understand what is going on here, you combine a poncho liner with a poncho to keep you dry.
View Quote
Nope. Poncho liner is essentially a blanket that can be tied into your poncho to make it a sleeping bag. there's no head hole, and the liner isn't intended to be worn.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

BTW What the fuck is this woobie shit.  I ask some of the younger Soldiers I work with and they all call a fucking PONCHO LINER awoobie.  Do you guys drink wawa or water too.  It's a fucking PONCHO LINER.
View Quote

Eh. In 1989 it was a woobie.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I will be purchasing a Kifaru woobie sometime soon. I had an ammo guard detail this January and I froze my ass off in a Humvee with the heat on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
If it's too cold for a wobble, then get two woobies.  

I have eight all together.  The softest one is from the late 1960s.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fold a PONCHO LINER in half and sew bottom and side like a sock. Leave an opening on top.  Its much warmer.  I had my wife sew one up like that for me in the 80's when I was stationed t FT Ord.  I'd snap up my poncho with the PONCHO LINER inside.  Worked great even when the temps would get down to the mid teens at night.  We never humped sleeping bags.  MANCHU Lightfights.

View Quote

Brah, Cuz you WOOBIE cold with out it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top