Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 9:29:14 PM EDT
There is a section of my property that I recently discovered was overgrown with poison ivy.  I doused it with more than was recommended with the recommended herbicides.  It's all brown now.

As I understand poison ivy, after the leaves have turned brown, the oil in poison ivy is still active, and will be active for a very long time. Raking this nastiness out still poises a risk to me.

So here is my nonsense thought.

Per Procter and Gamble, Dawn, it takes grease out of your way.

So if I hose down my now brown poison ivy patch with a concentrated solution of water and Dawn, will this disgusting patch go away?  Perhaps I should ask P&G, which I will, but responses on this forum are always much more entertaining.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Hire a pro.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a power washer
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Should've added the dawn to the sprayer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should've added the dawn to the sprayer.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#5]
An old "cure" for poison ivy is a spray-bottle with water, bleach, and dish soap, and you spray the itchy area down whenever the itch gets bad. It seems to have always worked via drying the skin out and taking the oils away.

I would believe that if you really used a fuckload of dish soap that it would be pretty effective.

Personally the poison Ivy doesn't really bother me; I never get rashes when al of my friends are totally covered.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a section of my property that I recently discovered was overgrown with poison ivy.  I doused it with more than was recommended with the recommended herbicides.  It's all brown now.

As I understand poison ivy, after the leaves have turned brown, the oil in poison ivy is still active, and will be active for a very long time. Raking this nastiness out still poises a risk to me.

So here is my nonsense thought.

Per Procter and Gamble, Dawn, it takes grease out of your way.

So if I hose down my now brown poison ivy patch with a concentrated solution of water and Dawn, will this disgusting patch go away?  Perhaps I should ask P&G, which I will, but responses on this forum are always much more entertaining.

View Quote

your stuck with the stems and the roots..... for a long time... they will eventually rot.... eventually. the only way to totally fix it, is to rip it out by the roots..

personally id just not walk around barefoot, or lay on the ground, or dig holes and play with roots.... it will eventually go away.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
When I cleared the poison ivy on my property, I had 10 days between deployments. I didn't have time for nonsense.

I put on pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves, a hat as well as safety glasses and used a weed eater and machete to clear mine. When I was done, I stripped down on the back porch and went straight to the shower.

Then I sprayed the stubs with a poison ivy killer. It hasn't come back in 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Try spraying a herbicide with triclopyr in it.

ETA: It is systemic so it will travel through the whole plant. It takes longer to kill, but gets a fuller kill than a contact herbicide.

As for the browned out stuff? I have nooooooo clue. I'm not allergic to it, but still refuse to fuck with it. All I get are the bumps and no itching.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Simple solution:  Don't be allergic to it.  That's what I do.  It has always worked for me.  Maybe you should try it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I use boiling water and dish soap.  Its an old junkyard parts washer with an oil burner furnace to make hot water.  Kills everything, even shallow roots.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll get some pics of poison ivy for you twenty feet in the air and leaves the size of pie plates...."Dawn" ......

Brush Be Gone in the morning when the leaves are dry and hopefully sunny and dry for a couple of days...wear a respirator......soak em down good

Goats like poison ivy though...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple solution:  Don't be allergic to it.  That's what I do.  It has always worked for me.  Maybe you should try it.
View Quote

thats what i did. i was 31 the first time i got it. now i am 35 and have gotten it 4 years in a row. it looks like my immunity to it wore off. it will be fun the first time you get it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If your ivy is dead you can spray it daily with water for a few days and the ivy will naturally decompose.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried a mix of dawn and something else late last year. I went to clean up the poison ivy this year and got it the worst Ive had in years.
I hope you have better luck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The plant itself is dangerous, yep.

Machete, rake, herbicide.

I never used to be susceptible.  I used to be the "go to guy" for huge clumps of it.  Round about age 35 I started getting small spot rashes here and there from it.  Now I at least take some sensible precaution.  I use a rake
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
"Natural" Roundup

1 gal vinegar
2 cups Epsom salts
1/4 cup dish detergent

Mix in sprayer, spray after the morning dew is gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top