several days.

On one trip, I purchased a SIM card at a T-Mobile store over
there..However, it was kind of a hassle and generally had issues in other
countries I was visiting.

I currently have ATT wireless and an unlocked Note 4. Their
service outside the country is prohibitively expensive, particularly for data
rates. Are there any other sane options nowadays? Just checking to see if
anyone from the hive has any experience or good ideas (no, going to an internet
cafe; squatting with my Adidas jogging outfit is not an option)

Technology and removal of red tape should have caught up by
now since we are living in a global happy multicultural world, has it not?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
http://Travel-sim-germany.com

The company I use for Costa Rica (www.costaricacellularconnection.com)will set up an 800 number to forward your US phone to that rings on your CR number. its nice.

These guys do something similar with a second US number.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If you switch to T-mobile you get free internets and $0.20/min int'l roaming voice.  The free interwebs is N-1 (so 3G in areas which are 4G) but it's free so....
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting note. .. when i was in Germany with no phone coverage my gps still worked. Couldn't map things out but it did give my location. So i could locate where i wanted to go at the hotel on wifi then walk there by gps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://Travel-sim-germany.com

The company I use for Costa Rica (www.costaricacellularconnection.com)will set up an 800 number to forward your US phone to that rings on your CR number. its nice.

These guys do something similar with a second US number.

View Quote
This looks promising ! Thanks, I will look into this.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you switch to T-mobile you get free internets and $0.20/min int'l roaming voice.  The free interwebs is N-1 (so 3G in areas which are 4G) but it's free so....
View Quote

Seriously? that may be doable. I wonder if I can just sign up for a new number, get the sim (my Note 4 is actually a Tmobile version so I know it will work with their frequencies) and cancel when I get back?

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Seriously? that may be doable. I wonder if I can just sign up for a new number, get the sim (my Note 4 is actually a Tmobile version so I know it will work with their frequencies) and cancel when I get back?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously.  I switched from AT&T for this.  Saw it in the airport coming home from a work trip where I'd been (as usual) ravaged by AT&T roaming charges, and decided to FO.  Been very happy  since.
http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

They don't advertise the N-1 data rate, but that's my 99% confidence guess.  Bit sucky where there's only 3G and you get 2G but you can always buy a chunk of high speed data if you're REALLY pissed off by it.  I never have.  Most of the world is 4G and 3G is Ok for roaming for me.

Don't see why you couldn't start new service and then quit - be a bit of a hassle but could work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top