Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 3:40:19 PM EDT
I have an Obsession 20" telescope that I am going to sell. I don't know much about the scope itself or astronomy. Is anyone here familiar with the various astronomy forums? I want to join one of the forums because I think they are the best place to market an item like this.

However, I am looking for suggestion because I know some places it is not cool to join just to sell an item. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. What astronomy forum would be best suited to sell an item like this? I have been an active eBay seller since 1999 I don't want to sell it on eBay for various reasons, namely the fees and policies that don't protect the seller.

Thanks for any help or tips you can provide.
jonblack
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Try skyandtelescope.com or astronomy.com. I don't know if the websites have classifieds, but the magazines do. With a 'scope that elaborate, you'll be looking for serious astronomy fans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try skyandtelescope.com or astronomy.com. I don't know if the websites have classifieds, but the magazines do. With a 'scope that elaborate, you'll be looking for serious astronomy fans.
View Quote

I've checked out that forum before but didn't know if it was cool if I joined just to sell the telescope.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't know if that is a joke or not since the link does not work.

I thought there was an astronomy forum here but if there is I didn't find it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 6" 4.5f...    OP  that's a big sucker .   mirror that big  needs special packing and shipping
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Cloudlynights.com is the one I belong to.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a 6" 4.5f...    OP  that's a big sucker .   mirror that big  needs special packing and shipping
View Quote

Yeah, I would probably make plans and drive it to the buyer. Hopefully it will be someone in Texas or within a 12 hour drive from my location so I can deliver and get back home in a weekend. Otherwise they could drive and pick it up. I think the guys who do star parties are open to driving.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am looking at the Classifieds section there now. A few of the ads I am seeing are a year old. It is a pretty busy forum?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I am looking at the Classifieds section there now. A few of the ads I am seeing are a year old. It is a pretty busy forum?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It used to be but I haven't been there in a while (kinda put the hobby on the back-burner).  About the Obsession- will ya take ten bucks for it?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It used to be but I haven't been there in a while (kinda put the hobby on the back-burner).  About the Obsession- will ya take ten bucks for it?
View Quote

Well, since you are in Louisiana I'll let you look through it for $10...

Just kidding. I don't even know how to set it up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take you up on that but the weather's been horrible.  That thing is worth some big bucks.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a pretty good astronomy club in Baton Rouge that might help.  Google them up!
Called the Baton Rouge Astronomical Society.  They have a classified section in the forum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Cloudynights.com and astromart.com are the ones I use to buy and sell astro gear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have an Obsession 20" telescope that I am going to sell.
View Quote

A 20" telescope is just about the creme-dela-creme, telescope-wise.

Is there a reason you don't want to get a few eyepieces and use such a marvelous instrument?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is there a reason you don't want to get a few eyepieces and use such a marvelous instrument?
View Quote

I'm afraid that I would fall in love with the hobby and I can't really afford to keep it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is a pretty good astronomy club in Baton Rouge that might help.  Google them up!
Called the Baton Rouge Astronomical Society.  They have a classified section in the forum.
View Quote

I will definitely look into that. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cloudynights.com and astromart.com are the ones I use to buy and sell astro gear.
View Quote

Thank you for the assistance. I have looked at cloudynights and I will check out astromart.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
What would something like this cost?

Kind of really want...
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm am looking to get close to the $5000 mark. One like this just sold on eBay for $6000. However, beings that I don't know much about these I don't think I will be able to command as much of a premium price.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM box full.

do you have all the bits required to make it work? where in LA? I'd like to mess with it before you sell it off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#22]
That's a bigass Dobbsonian.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Pedofiles.com
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#24]
How did you inherit this thing?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet dob!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm afraid that I would fall in love with the hobby and I can't really afford to keep it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But astronomy cost almost nothing to participate in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
IM box full.
do you have all the bits required to make it work? where in LA? I'd like to mess with it before you sell it off.
View Quote

Yeah - have tons of IMs from when I was a team member. I need to renew.

I believe everything is there. The mirror needs to be cleaned and I have read how to do it on the Obsession sight. However, I am wondering if I should let the new owner, who would know more than me, clean the reflective surface.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I believe everything is there. The mirror needs to be cleaned and I have read how to do it on the Obsession sight. However, I am wondering if I should let the new owner, who would know more than me, clean the reflective surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IM box full.

Yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top