Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 11:12:53 AM EDT
Ages 7 and 4. Recommendations on where to take them? I will have a rental car am familiar with the area since I lived there for a few years. I figure the DC Zoo is a good option. And the Baltimore aquarium.  Anything else I should consider?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The take a stroll down N Capitol St. near the Capitol Building (don't walk down N Capitol St. not-near the Capitol though!). You won't run out of things to see.

It's going to be cloudy most of the day tomorrow, but I don't think it will rain a lot. Should be nice and cool for walking around.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
do the monuments, white house...etc.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#4]
In before dire predictions of awful things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the reflecting pool when I was around that age.  The only memory I have of DC is sitting on the wall of the reflecting pool.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
The Evening Parade starts at 2045
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Much better than the air and space  museum in DC... but that's just my 2 cents

Also OP the zoo is a nice place to go to..... Baltimore Aquarium is ok  but for the price of entry / parking and the drive up from DC the Zoo is a better price point
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]
welcome to the area! definitely see the zoo, it's supposed to be rainy tomorrow but still moderate as far as weather goes. I always recommend great falls to everyone that comes to the area. It really is incredible to see. The maryland side actually is a little nicer in my opinion, which i wouldn't normally give maryland any credit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
A bit of a drive, but the new Marine Corps museum in Quantico is well worth it, especially considering your avatar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Just stick near the National Mall.

The traffic will eat up too much time.

Lived there myself.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ages 7 and 4. Recommendations on where to take them? I will have a rental car am familiar with the area since I lived there for a few years. I figure the DC Zoo is a good option. And the Baltimore aquarium.  Anything else I should consider?
View Quote

Wow. I've been to D.C. probably 15 times, including a bunch as a chaperone for a high school tour. I'm always up for making recommendations but for a 7 and 4 year old, I've got almost nothing . . . nearly everything is for older minds and interests.

The one thing little known thing I would suggest is the observation tower at the Old Post Office. Great view and it's really cool up there. The Old Post Office is mostly a food court, but the tower is worth the stop.

Otherwise, the Museum of Natural History to see the dinosaurs. They'd probably like Air and Space, too. Personally, I'd just go to the Air and Space on the Mall instead of making the trip out to Udvar Hazy. That new facility is pretty much just an indoor parking lot for airplanes. There's much more interesting displays at the Mall location, in my opinion.

The NRA museum is worth a drive if you've got a car. Not sure how much the kids would enjoy it, though.

I would think the changing of the guard would make an impression even on a little tyke. Make sure you buy a tram ticket, though. It's a long walk up to the Tomb of the Unknowns.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't tour the White House unless you've made arrangements in advance with your Congressman.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#13]
7 and 4?

Dunno, probably the zoo and then the hotel pool.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You don't tour the White House unless you've made arrangements in advance with your Congressman.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i meant just walk in front.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In before dire predictions of awful things.
View Quote

This is GD.  I am 6'4" weighing in at 285 with a 32 in waist and a deadlift of 600 lbs.  I just mean mug anyone who looks in my direction and they piss themselves in fear.  If I think there might be a fight I just wear a three wolves shirt and the crowd just parts like in The Princess Bride when Andre the Giant told them to move.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just stick near the National Mall.

The traffic will eat up too much time.

Lived there myself.
View Quote

I like this, if it gets too hot or too rainy there are tons of museums to run into.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
the zoo is over rated.  went there this weekend.  its a zoo.  focus on the mall and the Smithsonian.  Air space is a must (both of them)  but you can generally do 2 a day.  My younger ones love the natural history.  Walking the mall with frequent breaks is a good 4-5 hour affair.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh yeah, when you do the Dulles annex of air space, hit the NRA museum.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#19]

This
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Most kids like the spy museum as it is interactive. The news museum is cool but more for adults. The natural history museum a lot of kids like as well. There is a big Ferris wheel over at national harbor that they might like. I see many families on those little duck boat things as well. Heck, you could drive out to Loudoun County and do the river tube thing. It's not too far.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Most kids like the spy museum as it is interactive. The news museum is cool but more for adults. The natural history museum a lot of kids like as well. There is a big Ferris wheel over at national harbor that they might like. I see many families on those little duck boat things as well. Heck, you could drive out to Loudoun County and do the river tube thing. It's not too far.
View Quote

Hell, I like that museum.  And being from CO now I have to say anything with AC in that humidity is going to be very welcome.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 on the Udvar Hazy, it's not too painful a drive.  Marine Corps museum is awesome, but is a haul on a Friday with traffic.  I would say no unless business carries you towards Stafford/Fredericksburg.

In DC just hang out and do the monuments and the various Smithsonians.  Everything is right there and it takes a lot of walking and will fill a solid day to see them all.

Also, Arlington cemetary is walkable, and right around there is the Iwo monument.  You'r eright there at Georgetown for shops and such.  

PM me if you wanna grab a beer, I'm right across the river in Arlington.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Very cool, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell ya! I didn't even know that was a thing. Will be swinging through there!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hell, I like that museum.  And being from CO now I have to say anything with AC in that humidity is going to be very welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it's been raining and t-stroming all week, and the temp has dropped to sanity levels.  Last week was "go fuck yourself" hot and humid, right now it isn't too shabby and I believe it is supposed to be in the high 70s tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kinda fun, but fairly lame.  They do have an enigma machine there tho.  That made going worth it for me.  I actually walked right by there yesterday on the way to dinner.  If I'm not mstaken there's a Madame Toussads on the opposite corner too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I believe it is supposed to be in the high 70s tomorrow.
View Quote

I believe I hate you so much right now!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you knew what you were getting into when you moved to Florida.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

My kids went nuts at the spy museum. They loved it. 10 & 6.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree with the mall, and old post office.  

Do not recommend holocaust museum - that creeped me out mid 30's and
I've got a B.A. in Hisory
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Used to work at the Big Blue building.  That museum is great.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Friday evening parade at the Marine Barracks 8th and I
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol touche. I was born here though.   Hated it ever since!

Quoted:
It's kinda fun, but fairly lame.  They do have an enigma machine there tho.  That made going worth it for me.  I actually walked right by there yesterday on the way to dinner.  If I'm not mstaken there's a Madame Toussads on the opposite corner too.

That's disappointing. I'm really most excited about the Bond exhibit, hope they still have it when I get up there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Spent the day on the mall.  Damn, it was warm.  Drained a 3L camelback twice.  We hit US History, Natural History, reflecting pool and WWII memorial.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Spent the day on the mall.  Damn, it was warm.  Drained a 3L camelback twice.  We hit US History, Natural History, reflecting pool and WWII memorial.
View Quote

What did your kiddos like best?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

funny enough this was actually one of the coolest days we have had in quite a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top