Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:45:45 PM EDT
Are there any android tablets with a stand alone GPS chip that does not require cellular or wi-fi to determine location in real time within apps.

Looking to utilize a smaller tablet with a topographic or other mapping software with the maps installed on the device and not requiring constant map downloads such as is the case with something like Google maps on your cell phone.  This would be in areas without cellular or wi-fi coverage so capability for the GPS to function "on its own" is a requirement for how I want to utilize it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not just get a dedicated gps?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK any android device GPS will work with no cell signal, having a map to look at is a different story, you'll need an app that puts the maps on your device for offline use. Google maps even lets you archive small squares of maps to use offline.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Primary answer: Ever heard of Rube Goldberg................  

Secondary answer:  They do not have the screen real estate or multiple use functionality that an Android tablet has.

Quoted:

AFAIK any android device GPS will work with no cell signal, having a map
to look at is a different story, you'll need an app that puts the maps
on your device for offline use. Google maps even lets you archive small
squares of maps to use offline.
I am looking into higher quality topographic quadrant maps and programs that allow for offline use.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done that with my crappy Hisense Sero 7 tablet.  Works great for navigating forest service roads up in the mountains.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, if it has a GPS chip it will work offline. You just need an app that will cache maps for offline use. I use Backcountry Navigator Pro.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I just spent a week hiking in Western North Carolina valleys and mountains.  I used Backcountry Navigator on my Android S5 and was very impressed with the app.  No cellular coverage during 95% of the hikes and a LOT of different map sources and formats to choose from.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
just keep in mind the battery drain will likely be

'noticeable'
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I just spent a week hiking in Western North Carolina valleys and mountains.  I used Backcountry Navigator on my Android S5 and was very impressed with the app.  No cellular coverage during 95% of the hikes and a LOT of different map sources and formats to choose from.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Similar to what I am considering.  I have the paid version of Back Country Navagator on my Galaxy S5 but have not tried it off line in the high country.  My "concept" in my head is a Galaxy Tap S or similar 8" sized tablet slung on my sun-visor similar to the old CD hangers that some use for use on some of the back country forestry and 4 wheel drive roads up in the hills.

Quoted:

just keep in mind the battery drain will likely be

'noticeable'
Vehicle mount with constant 12V to USB available.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Google nexus tablets.  Use it all the time that way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
They should all work offline if they have GPS.

cellular networks just help to get satellite coordinates quicker and narrow down your area until the lock is in. Otherwise, the signal that global positioning satellites send contain the data needed to triangulate your position based upon their position, calculated by your device.

I use my android phone in the hills, sometimes, to get a fix. I don't need and don't have any network connection. It simply takes a little longer for the fix to come in. I have to download detailed maps of the area beforehand, as that, obviously, needs data. So I save that portion offline.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:44:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm reading this on a 10" Digiland with built in GPS
that I bought at Best Buy for $69. Load it with appropriate GPS software and it will do what you're asking.

I use mine with a ham radio APRS program and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I use motion x. Not sure if its in the android app store, but it might be. and worth a try. Nothing but great things from it. Only thing I cant find is a speedometer..
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:54:36 AM EDT
[#13]
double post
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Nokia Here will allow you to download individual state maps, or the entire USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top